PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Because of our worlds economies taking a dump, will people who own high line pipes start unloading them for pennies on the dollar.
For an example could a 3000.00 S.Bang drop to a few hundred bucks on the estate market? Could we see a Jess that normally would sell for 4000.00 used go for 500.00?

How about mid priced like Castello going from 250 used drop to 100. I have no clue as to what will happen but it is something to ponder.
Could we have a situation like the housing crisis where people were just stealing foreclosures?

Reactions: pitchfork

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm no student of economics, but my sense is that high-end luxury goods weather economic downturns better than most holdings. Families hold onto heirlooms for better times, and usually cash in pretty well in better times. I'm afraid it is the factory pipes and mid-range artisan pipes that will sag in value. The two-three hundred USD range could offer some good bargains in the next year, if I'm predicting.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
There would have to be an order of magnitude drop for me to ever see a Jeff Chronoswitch pipe in my mouth. I doubt that will happen.

Reactions: dcon

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I think if the markets crash to 2009 levels it could trigger a need for cash flow. I am not an economist in any way but there could be people loosing fortunes and will have to get cash some way.
Did the Chinese pipe guys who went all in on high lines over extend and may decide to sell some pipes.

Obviously the whales with millions shouldn't be affected but more of the 200-3000.00 crowd
may decide they need the cash if they are over extended.
I believe there are going to be some deals out there.

I am going to buy a Jess for 300 buck and I am wishing it into reality. I can feel it coming

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I personally believe folks who spend 3K and up on a pipe aren't going to be looking in couch cushions for change. Mid range pipes could take a hit, along with the seemingly endless number of Artisan makers.

Mike S.
I imagine that with the enormous number of fatalities (e.g. in Italy), and in particular in the elderly population, that a good number of estate pipes (and possibly tobacco) might enter into circulation in the Autumn.

Mar 1, 2014
The way things are going it's inevitable that the pipemakers will go out of business.
They'll either lower prices to extend cash flow for a few years, or end production altogether if they want to maintain the brand for potential future heirs to take over once global trends reverse.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
I am going to buy a Jess for 300 buck and I am wishing it into reality.
Hm, I bet if this wish is granted you will likely gain no more smoking enjoyment than with the $80.00 Castello Great Line or the mint $35.00 pre-tran ExExExL Barling you’ll be able to purchase.

Personally, I think if there is a lasting impact on pipe smoking, it’ll be in tobacco processing, distribution and of course, retail sales. Fallout from this is want I believe may eventually make a Chonowitsch pipe worth mere hundreds. ?
Yes, this virus will accelerate and force forward social transformations already underway and nearly all (with some notable exceptions) retail will be rebooting.

Reactions: BROBS

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
The people that have that kinda money for pipes will be making a killing off this crisis. Let the wealth consolidation begin.
I think that’s a bit much, considering pipes and tobacco are (mostly) three or four figure deals.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
My guess is that the biggest impact on the hobby might be the closure of many B&Ms. The ones that don’t make it won’t be replaced. And if/when internet and mail order tobacco sales are banned the already few B&M options will be substantially fewer.
Absolutely. So if you have the wherewithal to buy anything from your favorites, do it early and often.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
My guess is that the biggest impact on the hobby might be the closure of many B&Ms. The ones that don’t make it won’t be replaced. And if/when internet and mail order tobacco sales are banned the already few B&M options will be substantially fewer.
I fear you are probably right. On the other hand, I doubt much of the proposed tobacco laws will be anywhere near a priority for a while

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It's going to be months before businesses can reopen, and when they do consumers who've had no income for the same amount of time aren't going to spending money. I wonder how many businesses are going to go under, including B&Ms who as I understand don 't have cash reserves. smokingpipes will be fine, as will Pipes2smoke.com, as Maxim is too smart to go down.

Reactions: BROBS and tfdickson
Oct 7, 2016
I would not sell high end pipes that I own into this market as long as my health enables me to continue to enjoy them. At that point, I could care less what they bring. If the market never recovers in my lifetime, my executor has a problem. I do have a sense that younger smokers may have gotten overextended. I hope American artisan makers don’t have as rough a time of it as I fear they might.

I continue to selectively prune tobacco as I could use the space for other blends,Every listing I have made here has sold out in 24 hours or less.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I fear you are probably right. On the other hand, I doubt much of the proposed tobacco laws will be anywhere near a priority for a while
Well, I wish I could be that optimistic, but you never know what they will hide inside an omnibus 'budget' bill. Last bill the 'minority' gov't tried to sneak worse than tobacco restrictions, and still they got away with a big chunk of it through 'compromise' (i.e. the marketing tactic of inflating what you're asking so that you can bring it down more or so to where you initially wanted it by making them believe you're slashing your price and giving them a steal of a deal).

RE: high-end pipes selling for a pittance: I doubt it. There will always be rich buyers willing to pay top buck for a Chonowitsch and similar. In the past decade or so, it's been the Chinese driving the prices up, as they're loaded and willing to spend thousands on whatever strikes their fancy. Once this current situation passes, there will be big cats willing to smoke fat cigars and pay premium for them; thus, a broke owner of a top grade pipe shouldn't have much of a problem getting a few thousand if he knows where to offer them.

I'm still not buying a used pipe, not even a Bo Nord selling for $100. And if I do, it won't be to smoke it, but to sell it to the Japanese for $10,000. ?

Reactions: BROBS and dmcmtk
Status
Not open for further replies.