PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Royal Yacht. It's just unpleasant. Balkan Rum Wiff or whatever its called by its Danish creators. Clan, Gold Schlock, the new iteration as opposed to the real stuff manufactured in the U.K circa 1970/1980s. Mellow Virginia by Benson & Hedges which now tastes like its found under Benches and Hedges since someone screwed with the formula. It seems S&G have avoided the temptation to mess with their many traditional blends although the introduction of certain flavored twists is cause for concern. Given time I am sure I could come up with a few more!

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Royal Yacht. It's just unpleasant. Balkan Rum Wiff or whatever its called by its Danish creators. Clan, Gold Schlock, the new iteration as opposed to the real stuff manufactured in the U.K circa 1970/1980s. Mellow Virginia by Benson & Hedges which now tastes like its found under Benches and Hedges since someone screwed with the formula. It seems S&G have avoided the temptation to mess with their many traditional blends although the introduction of certain flavored twists is cause for concern. Given time I am sure I could come up with a few more!

I've been waiting for someone to mention Royal Yak. That was the blend everyone used to bitch about years ago. Perhaps now that Dunhill is no more, the yacht has gotten a nostalgia upgrade. Never tried any Benson & Hedges blends... didn't even know they still made them. Not surprised to hear an oldie like that isn't what it used to be though.

Reactions: BROBS and rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
It's a topic people fight over. Pease argues vinegar doesn't prevent tobacco mold, otherwise everyone would use it. Some argue the smell is a result of fermentation itself (which I say is preposterous because if that were true all aged VA blends would smell like that).

I've never read an proper explanation from the McNeils about the origin of their infamous ketchup, have you?
Not from the McNeils or Pease, but a believable origin story for the use of vinegar.
3EeyjSp.jpg
I once watched a clip on youtube of Mike McNeil ranting about how adding alcohol to tobacco ruins the leaf structure and ageability, that he had tried it several times and it never works, and that's why he came up with the idea of adding a stave cube to FMC. I find that interesting since rum, whiskey, cognac/brandy, and liquers are the most common toppings besides chocolate and vanilla, and because I've always heard that English purity laws limited flavorings to only things that could be dissolved in alcohol. That's the general explanation for the existence of perfumy Lakelands, anyway. So maybe vinegar was a flavor carrier/preservative alternative to alcohol that was allowed under English purity law.

londonbriar

Lurker
Apr 17, 2019
London-ish, UK
Without a shadow of a doubt, it's Condor. That old-lady-perfume taste is truly repellant, and it ghosts a briar like nothing else. The worst part about buying estate pipes is the exorcism that is sometimes necessary following the previous owner's mistreatment if they were a condor smoker.

Saying all of this...I do actually have a jar of Condor Long Cut in my collection. It is a decent quality flake that comes in a brown packet - doused in perfume (of course). For some reason I still like to have some on hand. I seem to crave a bowl of it perhaps once a year. It still tastes terrible. I'd better stop writing about it, or I'll be in danger of talking myself into a bowl...

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Without a shadow of a doubt, it's Condor. That old-lady-perfume taste is truly repellant, and it ghosts a briar like nothing else. The worst part about buying estate pipes is the exorcism that is sometimes necessary following the previous owner's mistreatment if they were a condor smoker.

Saying all of this...I do actually have a jar of Condor Long Cut in my collection. It is a decent quality flake that comes in a brown packet - doused in perfume (of course). For some reason I still like to have some on hand. I seem to crave a bowl of it perhaps once a year. It still tastes terrible. I'd better stop writing about it, or I'll be in danger of talking myself into a bowl...
it's not perfumey at all compared to G&H stuff IMO.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Every drug store pouch blend except for Five Brothers which is wonderful and great. Every single cherry blend too. God cherry pipe tobacco is just terrible to me.

I used to think so. To me, lighting up a cherry blend was like playing Russian roulette with 5 bullets in the cylinder instead of 1. They all seem like someone said "You think we can make a blend that simulates napalm with a delightful cherry scent??" But GH&CO Exclusive Black Cherry proved a good cherry can be made that is awesome tasting and smoking .

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I've been working on my second ever bowl of GH Black Irish X. In general, don't think there's very good vocabulary to describe the taste and smell of pipe tobacco smoke. The best I can come up with here is used engine oil. It's not harsh or sweet. But there's something industrial about its taste and smell. I don't think I like it.
That one has been on my list to try for awhile, for that very reason. Reading that a blend is like "old lady perfume" is a big turn off to me, but motor oil? gasoline? Yeah I'm in and I'm odd.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’m not picky, I know what I like but I’m not repulsed by much of anything. I thought C&D’s Captain Bob’s blend was pretty gross but nothing that bothered me I’d probably smoke it from time to time to see if it grew on me if I still had some but I’ve never met a blend that made me gag or anything.

I do enjoy these kinds of threads though cause I’m the guy that usually loves the stuff that most people hate. When I first started smoking I would search for the polarizing blends to find my holy grail, it worked out well for me.

One blend that I never understood why it was so polarizing (still don’t) is Royal Yacht. Seems very middle of the road to me but a lot of people have strong feelings about it, a lot of people love to hate this one.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida

So true, with a few blends. As I read your post this replayed in my head...

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX

Where’s the thumbs down button on this thing! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.