PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sitting on my lunch break at work, I was enjoying a bowl of Yenidje Highlander in my Weaver Fugu blowfish, when someone I had never me before inquired of the cost of said pipe.
Me-$***
Him-How in the hell is a pipe worth $***?!
Me-This shape is difficult to carve, and a proper version of this shape has yo meet a few requirements. It has to be carved crossgrain, the grain has to be nearly straight and flow with the shape of the pipe, and the shape itself is nearly asymmetrical. I really enjoy the carver's work, as well as he is a good friend. Portions of the money he receives goes to charity, not to mention his pipes are very fine smokers.
Him-But it's just wood and plastic.
Me-How much did you pay for that phone?
Him-$***
Me-More than I paid for this pipe.
Him-But it has the greatest operating system and is the newest model.
Me-Where will that phone be in fifty years?
Him-I have no idea.
Me-My great grandchildren will be able to smoke this pipe if they choose. Pipe technology hasn't changed in hundreds of years, and doesn't need upgrades.
Him-That's still too much for a piece of wood and plastic.
Me-Mine won't be obsolete in six months.
Him-(storming off)
I love being an ass. :mrgreen:
img_20160904_2355401-337x600.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ...because one laughing smiley wasn't enough. But that is totally true! A pipe is a work of art, it's functional, and one hundred years from now (or longer) if taken care of, could still be usable. A cell phone, in a year or two if you're lucky, will be basically just a paper weight.
beautiful pipe, by the way.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
Replace pipe with headphones and amps, art, or any other hobby item... Same thing.
Beautiful thing, capitalism. People pay for what they like - and are free to ignore one's financial choices too :)
Too bad you didn't ask him to take a selfie of his face with his phone :)

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Value is a relative and subjective concept. He sees a pipe as a piece of wood and plastic, and personally that perspective never would have occurred to me and just hearing it sounds silly. However in modern culture, the general public spends untold mega bucks on transitory tech-fashion phones without ever questioning their value. Conversely, I couldn't care less about a phone; I do love my pipes though.
Hate to say it, but you were both right. You just happen to live in different worlds.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I am in agreement with Warren on this Duane, you gave that a-hole a more than cordial response to a very uncouth query. Anyone who goes about asking others what they paid for their possessions was not raised with proper manners. I see etiquette and manners eroding away from our culture more every day. Sad.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
A very civil response sir, I just imagine how it might have went should you have been under the influence of Black Frigate, the Captain make him walk the plank? :worship:

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Duane you know far too much about pipe carving, I suspect it's gone far beyond a healthy interest.
Thanks for making Monday a bit better.

:rofl:

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
You can drive safely while smoking a pipe, can avoid walking into a telephone pole while searching out the latest Pokimon Go character and look pretty smart doing so. Not so much with a "smart" phone...

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Let us get mathematial.Say you gave $300.First smoke cost $300.Second smoke $150 per smoke.And so on until you get to the point where it's almost free and you still have a very nice pipe. ;D)

Status
Not open for further replies.