PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I would simply arch an eyebrow, look down my nose at you for a second and turn away, muttering "Cretin" under my breath. Or, I might respond with, "Between one and a thousand." A more civil way of getting such information is to inquire of the brand and then, do a bit of research on the "interweb" as Jezza calls it.
Tone has nothing to do with it, in my opinion. A rude inquiry is a rude inquiry no matter the tone or inflection. I do not take umbrage when so queried, I just form an immediate low opinion of the questioner.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Duane, a perfect put down. The engineering skill that goes into carving a perfect smoker is phenomenal, and if the craftsman misses a dimension by the slightest amount, that pipe will end up in a basket in some pipe shop. I have several such "failures," and I love them dearly, including GBDs, Charatans, and one that I'm fairly certain started life as a Dunhill. Compare that skill level and the joy that goes into crafting a perfect and beautiful smoker with a mass production assembly line where the workers have to be physically restrained from committing suicide.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
chase', you have the spirit of adventure. I would never have told some random person how much I paid for a relatively expensive pipe, knowing that someone else's passion would never pass muster with someone who doesn't share it. Two things that can only summon disapproval, how someone else handles their money and how someone else conducts their sex life. People will either be enraged by their disagreement or their envy.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Chasingembers, you're a better man than me. I would have told him off without ever answering his questions. I don't like being interrogated by random strangers hahaha.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Normally inquiries about my pipes lead to interesting discussions about grandparents or other family members who were pipe smokers, or sometimes they lead to questions about how to get started with pipes, or suggestions of good websites to buy supplies. I'll oblige anyone's curiosity, but will also oblige animosity in turn. When he first asked, I thought it was just an unusual way to start up a pipe discussion, but rapidly went downhill.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
I'm always amazed by, "How much did that cost?" or "You got a new job, what does it pay?" type questions. I would never in my life consider asking that type of question. I was raised with the philosophy that you never discuss personal finance, it's rude and tacky. Although considering how often I hear that type of discussion, I guess everyone's take on the subject is different.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
Holy hell - 100 posts!- only took me 6 mos. No one can accuse me of padding the 'ol post count.

-Sorry for the hijack- nothing to see here, return to OP's subject

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Great response, as we say in French "Tu lui as mis son nez dans son caca!" Translate if you can.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
A top notch argument, Chasing! A pipe's value does not necessarily end with it's base functionality (though for many smokers it may in fact end there), but extends to encompass the inherent worth of a piece of art that will endure for decades. That said, I don't think I'll ever be able to justify purchasing such pipes. I will just admire them from a distance. :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Great response, as we say in French "Tu lui as mis son nez dans son caca!" Translate if you can.
"You pushed his nose in his own shit!"
As to phones into a dumpster, it happens, but thank heavens for recycling.

Status
Not open for further replies.