PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nicely done. I think I might have said, "Why the f*** is it of interest to you??" But I will keep your approach in mind if I am ever asked.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm a fan of both. A smartphone is among the greatest inventions ever. What amounts to the entirety of human knowledge... facts and opinions... the ability to communicate instantly, globally... all of it... in a tiny package in your pocket. The sum of human knowledge in a tiny object. Pipes are awesome tools. I'm a huge fan, but let us not compare pipes to smartphones.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Lol... ditto!! It has become an appendage to be sure. I'd sooner venture out into the world without shoes than my iPhone. I like knowing I can access any info/anytime, not for social media or even socializing, but for accessing info.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My iPhone lightens my load. When I have service, I have access to tide tables, sunrise and set times, weather alerts, camera and lens manuals, a limited amount of remote control over cameras, hotel/motel locations vacancies, campgrounds, Cubs and Packer scores, where shadows and sunlight will be in five hours or two days hence at my predicted location, and a myriad of other valuable information. Makes me less encumbered and better informed than in the past.
The pipe simply makes my work time more enjoyable and down time special. Cigarettes do the same, just not as well. I can warm my fingers on a cold day outside with my wee furnace.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Especially when he could've simply used his cell phone to discover the price. He must've simply wanted to make his point... a la douche style.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My phone is just a mobile shopping center. :mrgreen: The only social networking I do is this forum. Not much of a technophile here.
I get asked about my pipes all the time at work. Usually when price comes up, it's about price ranges, entry level costs, cost of tobacco, and all the trappings of pipe smoking. Several of these inquiries have led to coworkers giving a pipe a try, and a few of them have since become pipe smokers. The tone of that particular individual just hit me as condescending, and I immediately went to sarcastic autopilot.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Totally understand and i would reacted the same way. Tone is quite telling, something electronic communication has yet to be able to capture. For awhile, I tried to use italics to communicate sarcasm. It was unsuccessful :(

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yup, lack of vocal inflections have definitely started more than one argument on here.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
...The tone of that particular individual...
^^^ This is the most important part. I have not been shy about asking price ranges for something I'm not too familiar with but has intrigued me. My question usually goes something like this, "I'm not trying to pry and I not asking for a specific number, but what's the ballpark cost for something like this?" Hopefully people get the idea I'm interested in the object, not their wealth.

Status
Not open for further replies.