PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffdaddy

Lurker
Nov 15, 2011
We are all pretty familiar with Dunhill history, and most of it is easily found on the web. I'm not, however, easily finding any facts about the current White Spot pipe production, and wondered if anyone here actually knows the facts. Please inform/correct me on the facts. Dunhill divested itself of it's pipe and tobacco ownings separately so it could be a politically correct fashion brand. The pipe making was absorbed by the parent company Richemont, but where are these pipes made, by whom, and are they still hand cut with the same type of standards Dunhill was known for?
Not looking to restart any kind of love-hate war over Dunhill, just looking for the facts.
Title Corrected Rule #9 Thanks, Zack

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have asked this question and as far as I can tell, the best answer is, somewhere in Italy.
But don't hold me to that.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'd been given to understand that Lorenzo makes these, or did at one point. I've also heard that the pipes are actually made by elves. Dunhill did have a French operation at one time and you will occasionally see a Dunhill stamped Paris rather than London. Of course, like many other British makers, Dunhill sourced a large number of their bowls from St. Claude in the early part of the 20th century.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Bigpond posted this in another thread, a blog entry touring the Dunhill factory in Walthamstow.
http://manufactureandindustry.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/inside-dunhill-factory-walthamstow.html
I suspect that how you define "makes" is part of the answer.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Vauen in Germany, as well as a bunch of other company's, take a look
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/dots/rond-uni.html

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
So there are no new Dunhill pipes being made, just White Spot? And we don't know for sure who are making the White Spot pipes?
Does anyone have one of the new White Spot pipes? How do the smoke compared to the old Dunhill brand?
Pagan - I could be wrong, but the one's listed in the link you posted don't seem to have anything in common with Dunhill or White Spot. I have several pipes with a white dot on teh stem - Mauro Armellini, Maestro de Paja, Kaywoodie - and none of them are Dunhills.

It has been that way for a few years, it's just that only recently, the people who control Dunhill branding wanted it's name separated from the pipes, so they are stamped Alfred Dunhill's White Spot Pipes. Ironic that Dunhill made the name with pipes, and now the corporations that control the name want absolutely nothing to do with pipes. I am really surprised that people have continued to collect the things, especially at the prices they want. But, some things do not deter hardcore collectors... I guess.

I would hate to be a Dunhill wholesaler at this point in history. If it weren't for the hardcore lovers of these pipes, I think people would smash them, like fans burned Beatles records after... anyways, not going there.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I find it disheartening to look at the article Al posted and see only one guy in that whole shop!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
My one Dunhill is a "White Spot" and I love it. Smoke it more than all my other pipes. I've owned a couple of estates and all were very well made, nice stems and open airways (without the innertube). I'm always shopping for my next one, but I'd only buy from Europe -- US prices are way too high for what you get. Artisan pipes are a much better deal here in the US.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
The last change in nomenclature was the block DUNHILL to the tails dunhill in the ellipse. The White Spot Pipe is a very old trademark going back to the days of Alfred A Dunhill that can be seen in pictures of the shop. As as far as I know Dunhill buys clean standard shape bowls from France and Italy and does the rest in a shop in suburban London. The XXL, HT and Collectors are turned in house. Dunhill diversified early on, they survived and have thrived. 8O

Reactions: Alejo R.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I used to want a Dunhill. I'm not sure now.Maybe if I find one cheap at an antique/collectible shop

I have two of the 80's billiards. I hardly ever smoke them, and I admit that I bought them merely for the name and to see how they smoke, because the shape was just two blah for me. They smoke good, not spectacular. But, between Dunhill's obvious disdain for pipes, as shown by their dropping the pipes and the pipe tobaccos, I won't be getting any of the new ones.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Does anyone have one of the new White Spot pipes?
I've owned four White Spot pipes. They're not bad pipes, but none of the ones I owned had a flush fit between the mortise and tenon. Although they had gaps in the mortise and tenon area they still smoked fairly dry. The buttons on them are a little thick, but I like that about them. One of the pipes (the most expensive of the bunch) formed a small soft spot in the chamber within the first month of smoking it. I have one out for a repair that I personally screwed up trying to fix, and I let the other three go. I at first recommended them highly, but have since changed my view on them and can no longer recommend them. There are much better options.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My lone White Spot pipe is fantastic, easily equal to my Dunhills from the 1960-2000 era pipes. The stem work and button are particularly good (slightly better than a Castello of the same year). Rob Cooper also commented favorably about the new White Spot pipes on this weeks PM radio podcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.