PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
What ssjones said.
I have a couple White Spot pipes and they have good/excellent fit and finish.

They were NIB so not retail. I would get another if I saw one I liked. But I will say I have a Soft Spot for "vintage" Dunhills. Just got a 1959 Poker that is a treasure to me.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Bigpond posted this in another thread, a blog entry touring the Dunhill factory in Walthamstow.
http://manufactureandindustry.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/inside-dunhill-factory-walthamstow.html
I suspect that how you define "makes" is part of the answer.
Excellent link and point, Al. Judging by the photos, I would guess Dunhill pipes are at least as much "Made in England" as Peterson pipes are "Made in The Republic of Ireland".

Excellent link and point, Al. Judging by the photos, I would guess Dunhill pipes are at least as much "Made in England" as Peterson pipes are "Made in The Republic of Ireland".

Or Polish made Nordings are made in Denmark. In a global economy, the place doesn't matter as much as the base of the company. I'm surprised that we even pay attention to (or still divide pipes between) Danish, Italian, English, etc...

Oct 7, 2016
Just looked at Al Pascias latest Dunhill arrivals, 2017, nomenclature "Alfred Dunhill's" forms kind of an oval, inside that it says The White Spot.

Oct 7, 2016
@Cosmic, ROFLMAO
Don't know if it has been noted here or not, but Arango has acquired Music City Marketing and they are distributing whatever you want to call the pipes
Also, this includes distribution of Corona lighters. So, if you need your Old Boy serviced, you send it to Illinois now.

P

pipebuddy

Let's think about this. You will notice The White Spot are still stamped "Made in England".

So I deduct the stummels are still turned abroad, then sent to England where they are sandblasting, staining, fitting the stem in England?

Just fitting the stem?

Just submitting the completed pipes to a QA, then stamping "Made in England"?

I do not think that they can do that, legally.

For example, if I gran the few Petersons I own, they are now stamped "Peterson of Dublin". They used (a while back!) to be stamped 'Made in the Republic of Ireland" or "Made in Ireland" as they used to be stamped.

So, most of the work must be carried out in England for the White Spot pipes to bear the "Made in England" stamp.

Yes?

What I am sure of is the mystery remains. :mrgreen:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just submitting the completed pipes to a QA, then stamping "Made in England"?

I do not think that they can do that, legally.
That's exactly the case, and I'm sure they're not the only company doing it.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The company I work for gets a lot of its components from Asia. They are assembled in the USA, and are indeed stamped, "Made In The USA".

P

pipebuddy

Being totally assembled in the US tells us that some work was performed on US soil. It's then possible to bend the truth.

The Honda factory in Ontario proudly says the Hondas they assemble are made in Canada. And they are made there, in a sense, but with Japanese parts.

It's probably the same with your company.

If the White Spots, on the other hand, get to England all finished and assembled abroad and all they get is a QA, well Dunhill can't stamp them "Made in England".

Now, let's install some cameras in their factory, will we? Then we'll know what's going on.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
From what I gather, the stummels are turned in other countries, while the stems are manufactured in England, and the pipes are finished and stained there. "Made In England" I suppose.

P

pipebuddy

I hear you...It's a contradiction, really.

Take the American artisan pipemakers. A lot of them buy German ebonite for their pipes. Their briar comes from Greece, Italy, Spain, etc.

Can we say their pipes are truly made in the USA?

They are turned, bored, the ebonite rods transformed into stem, all pipes transformed and assembled in the US.

But the raw material they use to make the pipes is not American.

Are they still made in the USA?

Yes and no.

I think the logic is similar for The White Spot.

Weird, eh?

P

pipebuddy

Thinking of it, you might be absolutely right!

This is totally ironic...

Status
Not open for further replies.