PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

danno44

Lurker
Jan 4, 2017
Although not specifically addressing the OP question, this is a brief outline on the USA standards.

There are specific guidelines in the USA for classifications.

Made in USA is a vague rule where federal regulations say roughly all or virtually all parts and costs for a final item for sale originated /assembled in the US. It was proposed but never implemented that an item has to have 75% of components made and assembled in USA. It was never approved. Based on my previous business life, our attorneys said 51% meets the standard. Now if they were correct I don’t have proof other than we stamped USA made on those items we could prove via paper trail to meet the 51%.

Assembled in USA would be the components used do not meet the % threshold but are assembled in the US.

Designed in the USA is the catch all where the item is designed yet components and assembly are done outside of the USA.

I can’t speak to how other countries handle the “Made In” classifications but can assume they have similar guidelines or laws.

First off, Music City Marketing dropped White Spots and all Dunhill associated pipes. I have no idea who is representing White Spots in the US now.
As to anything being made in England, it has been reported for as long as I have been on this forum that the factory never has any cars parked there any more. Maybe, there are people gathering at someone's garage to make these? As to exactly who is making these products, no one will know for as long as the White Spot company doesn't want us to know. However, many of the big pipe companies now use French companies to make their pipes. As to the "made in..." stamps. Nording pipes are factory made in Poland and stamped "Handmade in Denmark." This comes up on industry jewelry sites also. While laws clearly state something, that doesn't mean that they are easy to "prove" in court. I wouldn't give a "Made in..." stamp any more credence than just some random words. With about half of the forum claiming to be lawyers, ha ha, go get 'em.

But, having worked in the jewelry and eyeframe industry, there just ain't no courts that will fight that lame law. And, it would take one bored ass attorney to actually take it on.
I work on many gold and silver pieces with big name hallmarks such as Tiffany, Kay, and Zales, and they are not always using the 14k or 18k stamped on the ring... what does that mean?.. big name companies are just as full of shit as the rest of the world.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
layout_History_03.jpg

This is the guy who makes the pipes.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"...no one will know for as long as the White Spot company doesn't want us to know."
That I don't doubt Michael.
"Nording pipes are factory made in Poland and stamped "Handmade in Denmark." "
Is this a fact or just supposition? I genuinely would like to know, if so then a very naughty practice indeed!
Regards,
Jay.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Let's think about this. You will notice The White Spot are still stamped "Made in England".

So I deduct the stummels are still turned abroad, then sent to England where they are sandblasting, staining, fitting the stem in England?

Just fitting the stem?

Just submitting the completed pipes to a QA, then stamping "Made in England"?

I do not think that they can do that, legally.
Oh, sure they can. Back in 1928, Barling sought to have the Merchandise Marks Act (amended in 1926) further amended to require that pipes stamped "Made In England" to be fully manufactured in England. It had been the practice of various manufacturers to have their bowls carved in St Claude, or Nuremburg, and to bring the stummels to the UK for finishing, staining and mounting. In 1906 Barling announced that they would be turning all their own bowls and they also began harvesting their own wood in Algeria, doing their own curing, milling, and shaping, etc. So Barling was in a rather unique position versus their competitors. The rest of the pipe making community united against them, led by Dunhill, and Barling's effort to have the Act amended failed.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Oppenheimer brands all purchased stummels from St. Claude but they also had controlling interest in most if not all of these companies Via Codogan (the sub-division the managing Oppenheimer's pipe business). With Oppenheimer the "stamping" was dictated by where the pipe was finished and which market(s) the pipe was intended for. There is a long history of English pipe makers importing foreign made components and still marketing the finished as "Made in England". White Spot is just continuing a long standing tradition.

• Sad
Reactions: woodsroad
Is this a fact or just supposition? I genuinely would like to know, if so then a very naughty practice indeed!

I've had the pleasure of meeting Erik twice at The Briary, and as I had been tipped off that Nording had shut down his Danish factory because of the expence, same as Stanwell, I decided to ask Erik face to face. If you want verification, ask him. He really is never in a factory at all, if you look at his schedule, he is constantly appearing at pipe shows and pipe shops around the world selling his "Danish" pipe. It would be easy to meet with him, for someone so inclined.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
According to Chris Felts of Augusta USA, the importer, The Collector line is still made entirely by hand in England. The stems are made by hand in England for all White Spot pipes. My experience with the recent pipes has been, on the whole, positive. They are, without a doubt, overpriced, however. Overpriced even having been bought at a 25% discount at trunk shows. Still, their classic shapes keep drawing me back.
I have a 1928 Shell billiard, which is the best smoking pipe in my extensive collection of pipes of all grades. It may even slightly exceed my one recent vintage Jess Chonowitch. I have a few 1950s and early 1960s pipes which are excellent — probably a notch better than my three White Spots. The only so-so pipes are a pair of 1980s Shells whose only flaw is that the stem is too thick at the button.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
as far as I know Blakemar & Northern Briars are still entirely made in England,nontheless I'm assuming these too have some of their bowls carved outside and are having them stummels sent back to England for finishing and staining.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dunhills or White Spots made in England are such a quaint and pleasing idea, it is sort of like not bad mouthing the reality of Santa Clause. But sable's various posts have convinced me not to put too much store in nation stamps on any pipe. Most brands are farming out some parts or whole pipes, and to think otherwise is happy talk. Dr. Grabows may be made entirely in Sparta, N.C. Likewise, I tend to believe the major known French brands. When you compare the labor costs and costs of living different places, you can see why manufacturing has gone international. I have a Jobey that has the stem stamped "France," at a time when the company had relocated to the U.S. It moved from France, to England, to the U.S., back to France ... if I recall. I'm convinced that Jerry Perry makes his pipes in Colfax, N.C., but you can't buy them online either, nor at pipe shops. You intercept him at the N.C. State Fair or at the TAPS pipe show, and that's it.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
I kinda like that Santa analogy. I wanna know the truth behind current production Dunhills...but then again, do I? Ken Barnes might be able to put this question to bed, but then again maybe he's being the responsible adult and is sheltering us ;-)

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
So there are no new Dunhill pipes being made, just White Spot? And we don't know for sure who are making the White Spot pipes?
Does anyone have one of the new White Spot pipes? How do the smoke compared to the old Dunhill brand?
Pagan - I could be wrong, but the one's listed in the link you posted don't seem to have anything in common with Dunhill or White Spot. I have several pipes with a white dot on teh stem - Mauro Armellini, Maestro de Paja, Kaywoodie - and none of them are Dunhills.

I recently purchased one of the new White Spot pipes. A beautiful Hungarian. It is visually stunning and hangs just as beautiful. Smoked it today for the first time. Was disappointed with the draw. Was constricted compared to my 1960 and earlier Dunhills. A bit of a shame as it is a Cumberland in a remarkable shape. Now I have to decide if I should try and open up the draw. When I examined it, the draw hole seems to join the bowl a bit high as tobacco can rest below it. I compared it to my 1968 Dunhill Hungarian which smokes amazing. Didn't seem to be much difference. Wondering if it is a stem constriction. If so, I will be even more disappointed because that Cumberland stem is a full bent beauty that I don't think I can replicate. Shame, but for the cost of the current White Spots, I like the estate Dunhills better.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
My one Dunhill is a "White Spot" and I love it. Smoke it more than all my other pipes. I've owned a couple of estates and all were very well made, nice stems and open airways (without the innertube). I'm always shopping for my next one, but I'd only buy from Europe -- US prices are way too high for what you get. Artisan pipes are a much better deal here in the US.

How is the draw on yours? Mine is very hard to draw and seems to almost "wheeze" when I smoke it. It passes a pipe cleaner fine so I do not think I have an obstruction. It is a Cumberland Hungarian shape.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
How is the draw on yours? Mine is very hard to draw and seems to almost "wheeze" when I smoke it. It passes a pipe cleaner fine so I do not think I have an obstruction. It is a Cumberland Hungarian shape.

If your older Dunhill is of the tapered tenon design (which many list incorrectly as a filter pipe), it will be wide open. I prefer the standard Dunhill draw, which is always a little restricted and similar to Comoy's/GBD's of the same era. The draw on my White Dot pipe was exactly like that, including the same drilling dimension, so it was very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.