PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo69

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2014
I really hadn't noticed a food sub-forum until I replied to the 'what do you drink' topic. Awesome!! :worship:
So what did you make for dinner?
I have been branching out to show my 19yr old the finer points of cooking. Tonight we roasted a duck (stuffed with onion and rosemary), pan roasted fingerling potatoes in duck fat with roasted garlic and smothered in giblet gravy along with steamed haricot verts.
Currently have a pot of stock in the making on the stove simmering low and slow with the leftovers from the duck. Haven't decided what to make with that yet though.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Great idea Jimbo ... we already randomly share recipes here!
Today, I BBQ'd chicken quarters and baked red potatoes.

Served with a side of baked beans and cucumber / onion salad.
The cucumbers, onions and potatoes were all from my own garden.
Jimbo ... that extra duck stock would make a killer Risotto with Mushrooms.

jimbo69

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2014
Not a bad idea with the risotto. I do have a jar of dried morels in the pantry... hrm....

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My microwave died a month ago. I've not replaced it. I'd had it and used it since 1997 when my ex gave it to me after I'd been banished from my own home by the Judge, and she felt whatever enough to go and get me this thing she paid $20 for and was about 50lbs and took up lots 'o space.

I've been ok using my convection oven, 6" cast iron skillet, and some super duper clad SS pans. I've all but stopped eating any beef. Fish, poultry, Dairy, fruits, nuts, veggies, and grains comprise the bulk of my diet.
I had the 5th meal of the week derived from a store bought rotisserie chicken for Sunday's dinner, and it was leftover from Saturday. I'd taken one breast and picked the carcass along with the two wings and combined them with some Jasmine rice and a can of Campbells chicken noodle soup. Didn't have any green except peas to throw in, so I just had some salad.

Reactions: dcon

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Beef chili. The first time using ghost chili's. Man they are hot. Used one chili in a large crock pot and that was enough to heat the whole dish up.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Hot dogs and baked beans tonight. Last night was Chicken Cordon Bleu and green beans.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Browned then baked pork chops on the bone, in an iron skillet in the oven, in olive oil, white wine, and chopped onions,

and served with potatoes mashed with the skins, a little milk and plenty of butter. Cooked the chops slow,

325, for about an hour and a half, nice and tender.

Jan 8, 2013
Twangthang, you think ghost peppers are hot? Look up morgan scorpions. Makes a ghost pepper seem like a sweet bell pepper.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Turkey Italian sausage; curry rice; tossed mixed greens, and veggie salad with freshly made dressing (sesame oil, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, tarragon).
I worked from the house today (grinding through revisions on a 40 page product development contract) and spent 7.5 straight hours at my desk. (I do 90% litigation and days like this are why. Contract work all the time would kill me.)
By 1630 I was fried, so I decided to cook so we'd have dinner when my wife and the boys got home. Great break from staring at the same document all day. Sat down as a family (too rare) and enjoyed a simple, tasty meal.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Rolled my sleeves up this afternoon , made a roux sipping a cold beer puffing my Todd Harris Canadian Morta with 13 yr old London Mixture. Wife called from nurseing home, told her to go to fish market and get crab claws and lump crab meat. Peeled shrimp and when she came home she ran me out to pipe room saying I was stinking up her Gumbo. While waiting on Gumbo she took out some crab meat au gratins she had made last week. Seafood Gumbo, French bread, small potato salad, cold beer. Taner Ma Sa Say Bon!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Tonight I'm having blackened catfish cooked on the grill with dirty rice & jalapeño cornbread. Probably have a few Dos Equis Ambers to drink and some Black Magic Woman in my evening pipe.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
Entertained for an old work colleague and her 4 year old diabetic daughter. We had mutton curry followed by a diabetic friendly apple and cinnamon with a creme anglaise

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Not sure I should have read all this while hungry. Still I have what our family calls Superbowl Chilli that has been sitting bubbling on the stove for 3 hours now.
I am just about to put together an apple crisp to stick into the oven for dessert.
A little play off baseball should make for a pleasant friday evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.