Tags:  No tags yet. 

The Joy of Smoking a Restored Estate Briar

(29 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by bonanzadriver
  • Latest reply from didimauw
  1. bonanzadriver

bonanzadriver

Login to Send PM

Being a noob here I realize that most of the folks on this forum have no Idea who I am or the things I enjoy.

But, sittin here in my mancave, enjoying different tobacco's from my ever growing cellar, I have realized that I probably enjoy smoking them in the resurrected briars almost as much as I do the tobacco.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing like finding a blend that really sings to ya. But I also derive great satisfaction from smoking them in what was once a beat up, neglected or totally grunged out old smoker.

It's probably a toss up for me, whether or not I enjoy refurbin these old smokers or enjoyin em with with a great blend and sippin a nice Scotch, Bourbon or Cognac.

I realize that there's more that I don't know, about restoring pipes & the myriad of blends available, but I sure am enjoyin the journey.

Thanks for answering my many, many questions and for offering your sage advice.

Take care
    &
    God Bless

dino

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, I love smoking beat up pipes that have been rescued.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Yeah, there's nothing like a beat to death pipe, like this one:

to make you appreciate the pleasures of smoking cast off refuse.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. bonanzadriver

bonanzadriver

Login to Send PM

Hubba Hubba!

Man that is one beautiful smoker you have there Brush.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But I see the defect- there's schmutz (sp) in the hinge area. Time to get a new one....

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. bonanzadriver

bonanzadriver

Login to Send PM

Ok already!

Where did you find that beautiful smoker Brush?

And, what the hell is it?

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And, what the hell is it?

We're talkin' Sablebrush, here. Meaning (what else?) it's a Barling.

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Yep, a Barling from 1882.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

It took me years, but I understand the joys of restored briars. I'm a little slow sometimes.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. bonanzadriver

bonanzadriver

Login to Send PM

C'mon Brush!

Enquiring minds want to know!!!

Give us the scoop brutha!

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yeah, the term "beat to death pipe" makes me want to see before pictures!

I have a fascination with these things...

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This thread really got me thinking about these terms that we bandy around. What does 'estate pipe' really mean? Is it a pipe that belonged to a dead dude? You don't go into your local bar and walk up to your friend and say 'Dude! Check out my estate penny loafers'. I myself am guilty of paying money for pipes that belonged to a dead person and then smoking them! Pipes are highly personal items. To take the analogy a little further would you walk into a bar and greet your friend with 'Dude! Check out out my estate false teeth' or better still pacemaker or hip replacement. So in reality we are saying we own a pre-smoked pipe as the individual who first owned the pipe may have just given up smoking and still be alive. This brings me to the whole 'vintage' concept. How can a three year old tin of tobacco be 'vintage'. I agree with the termed aged, but that usually is joined with the term 'infirm' or 'incontinent' and when does something go from being 'aged' to just plain stale? Answers on a post card please!

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Condor, your thinking in this, is exactly why I don't ever buy "estate" (shudders ) pipes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Estate" pipe sounds so much better than "used", even "pre-owned" or "pre-smoked"! I am afraid it's come to mean any pipe that's been smoked and is for sale. We Yanks love euphemisms. Witness "passed away".... Joe was shot eight times in the head and he "passed away". Noooooo! He was murdered; he died.

Anyway, all pipes will one day be estate pipes as we're all mortal.

Vintagely yours,

John

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Many of the pipes I bought new are effectively estate pipes now. If not actually historical, some of them are definitely vintage, you just can't buy their like. Then there are some pipes I received as vintage -- a mighty fine Ferndown and a freehand Thompson Cigar house pipe.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

cally454

Login to Send PM

I believe the widely accepted definition of estate is any pipe that was ever sold outside a retail establishment. That's why many are unsmoked etc. estate does conjure up a less than optimal visual.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This thread really got me thinking about these terms that we bandy around. What does 'estate pipe' really mean?

Today it's pretty much any pipe that's not offered for sale as new by an authorized dealer OF that brand's new stock.

Meaning it could still be new and in the box, but shows up online for sale because someone found it in a trunk or drawer somewhere. Etc.

EDIT: (Cally nailed it... we were writing at the same time)

The original intent was simply a label that was more palatable than "used", because (at first) smokers weren't comfortable with the idea. After a while they realized that they ate in restaurants where everything but the food itself was previously used by another person---silverware, glasses, plates, napkins, etc.---and no one came down with Bubonic Plague or Ebola because if it, and the mild hysteria passed. But the name stuck.

Fun fact: The guy who literally invented the term "estate pipe" was Barry Levin in the late 70's/early 80's, and the guy down the road who cleaned them up for him was Jimmy Cooke.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd guess about 70% of my pipes were bought as estates.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  19. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

C'mon Brush!

Enquiring minds want to know!!!

Give us the scoop brutha!

I'm afraid there's not much to tell. I bought the pipe at auction. It was in great condition and required little in the way of cleaning. Just a great find.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most of my best smokers and regular in rotation are $10-25 ebay pipes

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  21. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There can be joy, as well as, hardship with smoking restored estate briar. I'm glad you're experiencing joy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Old stuff is better now than it ever was before.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I was heavily into refurbishing old pipes I took great delight in smoking those which I decided were to be keepers. Knowing what state it was in when it arrived here and knowing the hours spent on making it sparkle again made that inaugural smoke rather special.

I still have several boxes of pipes to work on but for some reason I just can't get around to doing anymore. My intention always was to sell on those which I decided not to keep (mostly straights) but to date I have yet to sell a single pipe

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  24. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How about another thread about how used pipes are gross. I brought a couple used houses and used the toilets and stepped on the bathroom floors barefooted no less.

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson
    Posted 2 years ago #
  25. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Received a slightly tired vintage Kaywoodie Hand Made a while back. Very well used, but a nice chunk of briar. Stem had a hole in the bottom near the button, filled that. Ream and clean and now back in service. Had to be someones favorite for a long time. I plan on enjoying too.
    Funny thing is my tooth falls in the same spot and will have to fill it again at some point. Never had that happen before.

Jason
    Posted 2 years ago #
  26. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Estate toilets... I'm never going into my bathroom again...Thanks haha.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Last year, I posted an editorial from a 1946 copy of "The Pipe Lovers Magazine" that had this advice:

"And rather than see a favorite companion fall into the hands of a stranger, he would sooner break it himself and discard the pieces"

Our sensibilities have changed a bit.

Al

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hardly a 'pipe lover' was he then eh Al?

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Al, ...I LOVE THAT IDEA. These are MY pipes. My precious.....

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jfred, pipestud, chilllucky, sholto, ben88, jiminks, elbert, milehighpiper, tuold, jaytex969, philobeddoe, dcon, ashdigger, pitchfork, rodo, danimalia