PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Being a noob here I realize that most of the folks on this forum have no Idea who I am or the things I enjoy.
But, sittin here in my mancave, enjoying different tobacco's from my ever growing cellar, I have realized that I probably enjoy smoking them in the resurrected briars almost as much as I do the tobacco.
Don't get me wrong, there's nothing like finding a blend that really sings to ya. But I also derive great satisfaction from smoking them in what was once a beat up, neglected or totally grunged out old smoker.
It's probably a toss up for me, whether or not I enjoy refurbin these old smokers or enjoyin em with with a great blend and sippin a nice Scotch, Bourbon or Cognac.
I realize that there's more that I don't know, about restoring pipes & the myriad of blends available, but I sure am enjoyin the journey.
Thanks for answering my many, many questions and for offering your sage advice.
Take care

&

God Bless
dino

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yeah, there's nothing like a beat to death pipe, like this one:
iJpeyRe.jpg

to make you appreciate the pleasures of smoking cast off refuse.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yeah, the term "beat to death pipe" makes me want to see before pictures! 8O
I have a fascination with these things...

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
This thread really got me thinking about these terms that we bandy around. What does 'estate pipe' really mean? Is it a pipe that belonged to a dead dude? You don't go into your local bar and walk up to your friend and say 'Dude! Check out my estate penny loafers'. I myself am guilty of paying money for pipes that belonged to a dead person and then smoking them! Pipes are highly personal items. To take the analogy a little further would you walk into a bar and greet your friend with 'Dude! Check out out my estate false teeth' or better still pacemaker or hip replacement. So in reality we are saying we own a pre-smoked pipe as the individual who first owned the pipe may have just given up smoking and still be alive. This brings me to the whole 'vintage' concept. How can a three year old tin of tobacco be 'vintage'. I agree with the termed aged, but that usually is joined with the term 'infirm' or 'incontinent' and when does something go from being 'aged' to just plain stale? Answers on a post card please!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
"Estate" pipe sounds so much better than "used", even "pre-owned" or "pre-smoked"! I am afraid it's come to mean any pipe that's been smoked and is for sale. We Yanks love euphemisms. Witness "passed away".... Joe was shot eight times in the head and he "passed away". Noooooo! He was murdered; he died.
Anyway, all pipes will one day be estate pipes as we're all mortal.
Vintagely yours,
John

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many of the pipes I bought new are effectively estate pipes now. If not actually historical, some of them are definitely vintage, you just can't buy their like. Then there are some pipes I received as vintage -- a mighty fine Ferndown and a freehand Thompson Cigar house pipe.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
I believe the widely accepted definition of estate is any pipe that was ever sold outside a retail establishment. That's why many are unsmoked etc. estate does conjure up a less than optimal visual.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
This thread really got me thinking about these terms that we bandy around. What does 'estate pipe' really mean?
Today it's pretty much any pipe that's not offered for sale as new by an authorized dealer OF that brand's new stock.
Meaning it could still be new and in the box, but shows up online for sale because someone found it in a trunk or drawer somewhere. Etc.
EDIT: (Cally nailed it... we were writing at the same time)
The original intent was simply a label that was more palatable than "used", because (at first) smokers weren't comfortable with the idea. After a while they realized that they ate in restaurants where everything but the food itself was previously used by another person---silverware, glasses, plates, napkins, etc.---and no one came down with Bubonic Plague or Ebola because if it, and the mild hysteria passed. But the name stuck.
Fun fact: The guy who literally invented the term "estate pipe" was Barry Levin in the late 70's/early 80's, and the guy down the road who cleaned them up for him was Jimmy Cooke.

Status
Not open for further replies.