Tags:   

Stanwell Featherweight

(31 posts)
  1. mrjerke

JJ Pipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey all,

I have been thinking about picking up one of these Stanwell Featherweight's. I do not own a Stanwell and have been interested in picking one up. I have been in the market for a smaller clencher for a while and like that these are around an ounce. Found a place with a pretty good deal on one.

Anyone own or have any experience with these pipes? Any advice would be appreciated!

Jordan

"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead." - Marjorie Pay Hinckley
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have two Stanwell featherweights, a bent and a billiard. Both small around a group 2 in size. Excellent smokers. Very light weight, and well engineered. I'm looking for their poker in this line.

The pipe eases you into the present moment - savor your pipe & you'll savor this moment.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. yazamitaz

yazamitaz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not sure if this is where you are looking but I almost pulled the trigger on this today:

Stanwell Featherweight

I went with this instead:

Brigham Chinook

Another forum member bought the Brigham in the Spring and I have been looking everywhere for it. When I went to buy baccy for Secret Santa today I saw this was available and jumped on it. Good luck with your purchase and let us know how the Stanwell smokes.

Dan

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Got 1 and I love it, you will be pleased.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have the poker. It's one of my best smoking pipes in terms of "engineering" -- and that includes Dunhill, Peterson and a number of (expensive) hand-made pipes. The stem is acrylic and I prefer rubber, but otherwise it's a great pipe. At around $100-level, Stanwell is the best pipe on the market in my opinion.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. mrjerke

JJ Pipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dan,

Not the one. Actually found one for $65 new. Based on the feedback I'd better finish this bowl and head inside and order before it's gone! I'll gladly let ya'll know where and soon as I order mine.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice pipes, I have a featherweight bent Dublin that is a great smoker. Dan, that's a nice Chinook you got there, wonder what brilliant guy gave you that idea???

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. bluesmk

bluesmk

Login to Send PM

Out of about a dozen and a half Stanwells that I own, I have 5 featherweights.....and if there's a way to
    take then with me when this life ends I WILL! I love mine.
    Dan
    Gabrieli Pipes

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mrjerke, I was flirting with a similar Stanwell in the last day or two. I'd say, don't hesitate a minute if
    you're ready for a new pipe. Go, go, go.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. yazamitaz

yazamitaz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good luck mrjerke and please do let me know where you got yours. I feel that will be my next purchase.

Brian - you caught me. I have been chasing that damn pipe down since you got yours and it was usually out of stock. I couldn't BELIEVE my luck when buying baccy today I just looked for $hits and giggles and lo and behold it was available. I put it in my cart and of course their site was down for ordering. I had to call it in and got verbal confirmation that they actually had one. I also have to admit that I copied Brian's purchase on the four pipe pouch as well. I guess you are just a leader of men with good taste my friend. Sorry for the mini hijack

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. yazamitaz

yazamitaz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ahhhhh just found it on sale mrjerke with a site I order from frequently. Good luck with it and let me know how you like it.

Dan

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If the one Stanwell I own is an indication of how other Stanwells smoke, then I'd definitely say that you can't go wrong with one! As a matter of fact, I plan on adding another one to my collection pretty soon!

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only Featherweight I have is this older one, probably from the 1950's, no crown on the stem. It's a nice little smoker.

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. mrjerke

JJ Pipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Got my order in. Hard to beat at that price. Plus a much needed humidor refill on the side.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. sallow

sallow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am happy with the three Stanwell featherweights that I own. One is shown below.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a featherweight, shape number 243, in red. I have several Stanwells, and I love them all.

Eric
    Posted 5 years ago #
  17. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mrjerke, great looking pipe. I am a big fan of the Apple shape as they smoke my flakes very nicely. I hope you love your new pipe, congrats.

Harris
    Posted 5 years ago #
  18. shortyeastcoast

shortyeastcoast

Login to Send PM

mrjerke I have what looks like that exact same pipe you posted and I love everything about it except the way it smokes.

It's probably my fault, but I haven't had a good smoke out of it yet. It's one of my "gurglers."

Which is a damn shame since I love the look, the weight, the feel, and the acrylic stem is one of my favorite stems out of all my pipes.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have the No. 242, which is like a mini No. 11, and have found it a great smoker.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. bryanf

bryanf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Apple is one of my favorites. In fact all 3 of the pipes I smoke the most are apples. Best shape for flake, for me.

I had a pipe that gurgled, and I found that moisture was building up right at the tip of the tenon. I chamfered it larger with a knife, and gurgle gone. Maybe that will do the trick.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. msandoval858

msandoval858

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had the blasted horn shape for awhile. I recently decided to let it go to a new home. Its a fantastic little pipe but the size was just too small for me. For those wanting a small bowl, the quality to price is tough to beat.

Mike
    Posted 5 years ago #
  22. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a bent Dublin feather weight. I can't see any one not liking these? Wonderful little pipe!

Think slow, act fast.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  23. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like mine just fine. The bowl is bigger than you might expect for such a light pipe.
    It fits easily into a pocket so it's great to carry around.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. mtnfolkmike

mtnfolkmike

Login to Send PM

I definitely prefer smaller and lighterweight pipes, and have also been eyeballing one of these Stanwell featherweight's.. There are quite a few i like.. may have to pull the trigger sooner than later..

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. wayneteipen

wayneteipen

Login to Send PM

I have a Stanwell Vario #243 which is basically a featherweight with partial sandblast. It's my favorite pipe to smoke in the workshop. It's so light and hangs just right. Plus, the stem is acrylic so it is more resilient to clenching. I had a Stanwell Featherweight Red #243 but I sold it because the stain bled too much and it annoyed me. I think you will be pleased with the pipe you ordered. Stanwell makes arguably the best factory pipe for the money, IMHO.

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. mrjerke

JJ Pipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback guys. Can't wait to get it in.

Wayne- I'll be sure to pick up one of yours someday. In love with that Lovat on your site.

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. shortyeastcoast

shortyeastcoast

Login to Send PM

mrjerke I have what looks like that exact same pipe you posted and I love everything about it except the way it smokes.

It's probably my fault, but I haven't had a good smoke out of it yet. It's one of my "gurglers."

Yep. Just had a "perfect pipe" in it a minute ago. No gurgle, no nothing, just sublime smokin'.

We live and we learn, yea?

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. deleon

deleon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You won't make a mistake when buying Stanwell, I love all of mine, they're all a great smoke and look good no matter which you buy.

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

30. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

In the recent podcast, Jason Bard was pretty emphatic about the Stanwell pipe of the year 1999, being the cats meow...I don't think it is a featherweight...but it has me Jonesing for a Stanwell.

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. bluesmk

bluesmk

Login to Send PM

Oh yeah Buster! I have a Sixtus #212 love it! perfect indeed.
    Dan
    Gabrieli Pipes

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tufftony, paulfg, buzkirk