PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Hey all,
I have been thinking about picking up one of these Stanwell Featherweight's. I do not own a Stanwell and have been interested in picking one up. I have been in the market for a smaller clencher for a while and like that these are around an ounce. Found a place with a pretty good deal on one.
Anyone own or have any experience with these pipes? Any advice would be appreciated!
pipes-cigars-tobacco_2272_71760472

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I have two Stanwell featherweights, a bent and a billiard. Both small around a group 2 in size. Excellent smokers. Very light weight, and well engineered. I'm looking for their poker in this line.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Not sure if this is where you are looking but I almost pulled the trigger on this today:
Stanwell Featherweight
I went with this instead:
Brigham Chinook
Another forum member bought the Brigham in the Spring and I have been looking everywhere for it. When I went to buy baccy for Secret Santa today I saw this was available and jumped on it. Good luck with your purchase and let us know how the Stanwell smokes.
Dan

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I have the poker. It's one of my best smoking pipes in terms of "engineering" -- and that includes Dunhill, Peterson and a number of (expensive) hand-made pipes. The stem is acrylic and I prefer rubber, but otherwise it's a great pipe. At around $100-level, Stanwell is the best pipe on the market in my opinion.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Dan,
Not the one. Actually found one for $65 new. Based on the feedback I'd better finish this bowl and head inside and order before it's gone! I'll gladly let ya'll know where and soon as I order mine. :D

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Nice pipes, I have a featherweight bent Dublin that is a great smoker. Dan, that's a nice Chinook you got there, wonder what brilliant guy gave you that idea??? :nana:

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Out of about a dozen and a half Stanwells that I own, I have 5 featherweights.....and if there's a way to

take then with me when this life ends I WILL! I love mine.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

Reactions: yanoJL

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mrjerke, I was flirting with a similar Stanwell in the last day or two. I'd say, don't hesitate a minute if

you're ready for a new pipe. Go, go, go.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Good luck mrjerke and please do let me know where you got yours. I feel that will be my next purchase.
Brian - you caught me. I have been chasing that damn pipe down since you got yours and it was usually out of stock. I couldn't BELIEVE my luck when buying baccy today I just looked for $hits and giggles and lo and behold it was available. I put it in my cart and of course their site was down for ordering. I had to call it in and got verbal confirmation that they actually had one. I also have to admit that I copied Brian's purchase on the four pipe pouch as well. I guess you are just a leader of men with good taste my friend. Sorry for the mini hijack :D

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Ahhhhh just found it on sale mrjerke with a site I order from frequently. Good luck with it and let me know how you like it.
Dan

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
If the one Stanwell I own is an indication of how other Stanwells smoke, then I'd definitely say that you can't go wrong with one! As a matter of fact, I plan on adding another one to my collection pretty soon!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The only Featherweight I have is this older one, probably from the 1950's, no crown on the stem. It's a nice little smoker.
stanwell2-002-600x450.jpg

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I am happy with the three Stanwell featherweights that I own. One is shown below.

stan-1013-600x448.jpg

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
mrjerke I have what looks like that exact same pipe you posted and I love everything about it except the way it smokes. :(
It's probably my fault, but I haven't had a good smoke out of it yet. It's one of my "gurglers."
Which is a damn shame since I love the look, the weight, the feel, and the acrylic stem is one of my favorite stems out of all my pipes.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Apple is one of my favorites. In fact all 3 of the pipes I smoke the most are apples. Best shape for flake, for me.
I had a pipe that gurgled, and I found that moisture was building up right at the tip of the tenon. I chamfered it larger with a knife, and gurgle gone. Maybe that will do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.