Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Some Forum Maintenance

(50 posts)
  1. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just want to remind everyone to proof read their posts! This includes checking for punctuation as well as spelling. I've seen a number of posts lately that have absolutely no commas or periods, and it makes them awful to read. And the simplest thing to fix, but too often ignored: it is I, I'm, I'd, or I've, NOT i, im, id, or ive.

This may not be my place to bring this up, so sorry if I'm stepping on the mod's toes, but when I see too much of this going on, it starts to bug me.

Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar

9. In order to maintain the quality of our forum and facilitate communication, it is the policy of PipesMagazine to encourage the use of standard spelling, punctuation and grammar.

Members are requested to proof read their posts before submitting them. Please capitalize words in the thread titles.

You may be contacted by moderators and asked to reword posts that we deem too difficult for many to read. If there are repeated violations that appear to be due only to laziness, you run the risk of having posts deleted or being submitted for moderation before appearing on the forum.

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Drives me crazy.

It's disappointing because failure to use of spell-check, proper punctuation, capitalization and run-on sentences reflect the poster's clear lack of respect for other members here.

I think it's because many (but certainly not all) of those people are using a smart phone and it's too "hard" to post correctly.

Pretty sad, really.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Where's Simon The Grammarian (ClassicGeek) when we need him?

My hero

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I am in agreement to a point. I believe in using reasonable care in posting, but I won't do four drafts. I hope that when an error slips through no one considers it as a lack of respect on my part. Spell Check is a definite boon even though it doesn't recognize some of the pipe nomenclature.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. brewshooter

Brewshooter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

id

Unless reffering to the software company that brought you Doom or discussing its complex interaction with ego and super-ego.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. lordnoble

lordnoble

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think we're seeing a rise in this as more members access the forums and site using a mobile device. I personally go out of my way to make sure everything that comes from my phone is the same as if I were sitting at a computer.

-Jason

The preceding statement is not to be construed as fact, but merely conjecture.

Proud member of the BlackBlood Society
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. docrx

docrx

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Mod" is not a word or an approved abbreviation for moderator as per Miriam Webster Dictionary. (mod's toes)

It is impossible to tickle yourself
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. lordnoble

lordnoble

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think he meant "Mod", because his post certainly wasn't stepping on any toes here... LOL!

-Jason

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. docrx

docrx

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Touche Lordnoble. LOL

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. brewshooter

Brewshooter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought the mods were the sworn enemies of the rockers.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought the mods were the sworn enemies of the rockers.

Yes. That's the one.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. cavendish36

cavendish36

Login to Send PM

LOL, saintpeter!

Only a poor, uncreative mind cannot come up with more than one way to spell a word. - Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I annoy or offend anyone with my spelling,grammar, punctuation, run on sentences,ect. I apologize. I am, after all, from the hills of TN! I do my best, but English never was my best subject. I like to refer to myself as a " sophisticated redneck ", although I may be a little off on the sophisticated part. It's ironic, but my wife has a BA in English and Literature! She just refers to me as a regular redneck! Lol! P.S. I'm sure I messed something up in this post as well, sorry again!

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I would, however, hate to see (or not see) people avoiding posting for fear of improper spelling or grammar. There is too much valuable knowledge out there, not to mention experience, to miss it because of a missed comma ore pore spelink.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Although I try to be as grammatically correct as I can while I post on here, I do find that I make mistakes and to me that is fine because I am not an English major. I work in the construction industry and if you heard me speak in person then you wouldn't put two and two together that I am the same person writing this post.

But when I get excited about something on here I tend to start typing as though I am speaking to you in person because this is who I am. At times I get comfortable on here as if I was just being myself not trying to sound like someone I am not . This is why I think it's inconsiderate to say that your annoyed with people well that's just my opinion I guess.

I get it though you wanna keep a certain image on this forum but I'm just not that person who will put others down about the way they type just to do that. I like this site because of how welcoming it is not by how it critics my grammar.

I may have taking this way out of proportion but that's just how I feel about it. Not trying to start something here just being the advocate I suppose.

A Great Storm No Matter How Great, Will Always Pass.
    But The Clam After, Is What You Must Master, In Order For Life To Last.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  17. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it is possible to use spellcheck here, can someone tell me how to employ it? This has come up before and never really resolved to my knowledge.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  18. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can we please leave this to the moderators to take care of in private? This kind of noise gets on my nerves. And another thing, I am sure to use the best grammar, spelling and punctuation that I can but when someone does not, I do not see it as a clear sign of their disrespect for other forum members. Geesh.

By the eternal! There is a man whose form should be cast in deathless bronze and the statue placed in every college in the land. It is not book-learning young men need, nor instruction about this and that, but a stiffening of the vertebrae which will cause them to be loyal to a trust, to act promptly, concentrate their energies; do the thing - "carry a message to Garcia!" Elbert Hubbard "A Message to Garcia" 1899
    Posted 5 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

If it is possible to use spellcheck here, can someone tell me how to employ it?

LOL it just shows up on mine. Little red squiggles under a word it doesn't like. On some programs there are even green squiggles for grammar. Interestingly I typed two pages of a New York Times Bestseller into a document once. It looked like Christmas.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to admit that this is a bit of a touchy subject for me.( if you haven't gathered that already). I grew up first generation Canadian and although my parents spoke English it was a really broken version of it. So I had a difficult childhood when it came to understand certain things like grammar, punctuation, and words in general. Anyway I worked hard at it in highschool and achieved 90's in English but most of the help I got from my girlfriend at the time( now my wife). She helped me through it all and taught the right ways two talk and write.

So like all things some people just don't have the same privileges as others and it reaches a time where it's almost past the point of learning new things. So it may be this reason why I reacted the way I did because I see it as a form of bullying. Although I know that isn't your intentions I am not accusing anyone just explaining my motive.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It's disappointing because failure to use of spell-check, proper punctuation, capitalization and run-on sentences reflect the poster's clear lack of respect for other members here.

I think it's because many (but certainly not all) of those people are using a smart phone and it's too "hard" to post correctly.

My post here was not intended to slight or offend anyone who posts. Lord knows, we don't need spelling sheriffs or grammar police.

Still, we've all seen posts with no caps, one sentence that's a five line paragraph, and/or misspelled words, most of which can easily be corrected using spell-check and by rereading one's post before hitting "Send."

I simply don't think it's too much to ask.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I simply don't think it's too much to ask"

No I suppose not Roth.

I didn't intend to accuse you of anything my friend. I hope you understood that.

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As everyone knows I obsess a bit about titles, and will post and "Edit" message.
    Usually only in threads by New-ish members, generally with 20 to 100 posts just to let them know about #9.
    I know I'm far from perfect, but I try.

As for correcting grammar or punctuation in a Member's post, only occasionally will I change a letter or fix a dlyseixc spelling error.
    And then, only when it's is something that leaps off the page.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 5 years ago #
  24. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But if we spell everything right and capitalize there won't be anything for the mods to do and Lawrence will get so bored.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  25. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I strive to spell and be as grammatically as possible when I'm on the laptop. Using that and Firefox, misspelled words are underlined in red, making for an easy correction (right click and chose the proper spelling).

However, at times I'm replying via my phone. For some reason, it chooses to self-correct spelling and is often wrong. That drives me nuts but Verizon says it cannot be turned off without a complete reset of my phone (this came in an update last year). So, if someone finds gross errors on my posts, I'm not intentionally being disrespectful.

Al

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

This may not be my place to bring this up, so sorry if I'm stepping on the mod's toes, but when I see too much of this going on, it starts to bug me

For reals?
    I hope the spwelling Nazis don't start following me around.
    Lets leave the moderation up to the "MoDs". I'm sure they will handle the issue with far more tact and in private if needed.
    If you are that annoyed over type O0000H's send some one a PM or better yet get the meds updated so pPettY little things in life won't bother you so much i think most people try to be succinct but we all need to remember that people come from a lot of different back grounds and not every one is is a whiz bang internet expert with a keyboard.

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LMAO

+1 duckfat

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

duckfat (which forum spellcheck keeps auto correcting) for President! Not everyone has the same background or skills in the worlds of spelling and grammar, nor have grammar conventions remained static over the span of generations represented in this group (I can't BELIEVE the MLA changed the comma + "and" convention, I had that shiznitz DOWN in 8th grade through my first 3 articles).

Leave real problems to the Moderators and leave the rest alone as it comes off as unadulterated snobbery. A man who is uneducated in grammar, yet good at heart is far better to associate with than a man with 7 degrees but a heart as black as coal.
    dread

". . . I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul."
    - INVICTUS
    Posted 5 years ago #
  29. cavendish

cavendish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

AHHHH!!!! Grammar Police!

JJ. Some of us are lazy and some us just don't know how to spell. I for one take the lazy card sometimes but also find it hard to read run-on posts or bad spelling. Most of the time I don't bother with those posts for those reasons.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well to be fair, I am a tactless snob, among many other much worse qualifiers! However, in this post, I was just trying to help people out.

Oh cool, I didn't know this was a rule. I'll try to work on that some.
    Oh yea, I forgot about that. I'll see if I can fix some more mistakes.
    Oh really? Didn't know that was a rule. I'll keep it in mind, but make no promises.

Cool, thanks guys!

--OUT

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. werdna

werdna

Login to Send PM

I'm married to a proof reader. Some publishers send manuscripts through a series of proof reading professionals, to weed out mistakes. However, even with that, errors get through to publication. To keep peace in the family, my spelling and grammar have become much better over the years. But, I am more tolerant of errors online, and overlook some mistakes.

I recall my English professor saying the English language is in constant evolution, and changes over time. I find some of it difficult to swallow, but we are not novelists here. I would not write, or accept "hw r u 2 day" in a thread, but an honest fat-finger is OK with me.

And to all a good night.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  32. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

My 8th Grade English teacher, who had a horrible temper always told us:
    "Dogs go mad, people get angry". It looked the same to us....

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. pipeinhand

pipeinhand

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

thanksforpointingthisout.seeiusedaperoid!anda! Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of
    anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
    nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    Posted 5 years ago #
  34. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad to see that there are those who agree with the fact that this shouldn't be handled but members.

[quote]A man who is uneducated in grammar, yet good at heart is far better to associate with than a man with 7 degrees...[quote]

So true.

i thought i was the only one bothered by this thread. my faith in the members on here has risen back up and is even stronger. You guys are the best.

Posted 5 years ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Hopefully we members can pay a bit more attention and to that end, this thread served it's purpose.

I am sure Kevin and the moderators appreciate this as well.

Posted 5 years ago #
  36. pipeinhand

pipeinhand

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Al, why wouldn't it be "People go angry"?

And when are we meeting in Winchester again?

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hopefully we members can pay a bit more attention and to that end, this thread served it's purpose.

Agreed everyone got it out and we should all have a good understanding of each other.

Posted 5 years ago #
  38. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am not the best of proofreaders. Sometimes it takes me 3 or 4 times through to catch all the mistakes even when it's a short post. That said, I respect the rules here and have enough personal pride that I caught and corrected 2 errors in recent posts quite a bit after they were made.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  39. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Everyone makes mistakes, and some will slip through, even with the best intentions in the world. These things happen, and are no big deal.

But

Still, we've all seen posts with no caps, one sentence that's a five line paragraph, and/or misspelled words, most of which can easily be corrected using spell-check and by rereading one's post before hitting "Send."

I completely agree with roth on this. If someone can't be bothered to at least attempt to use punctuation and capitalization, I can't be bothered to read their post.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 5 years ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been in some sort of printing for more than 40 yrs. Never could spell or type and I am not permitted to proofreed a business card. How or what do I use to spell check these posts? Use a different browser? Write it in word & copy/paste it in here?
    BTW, when I first started in here, I screwed up a couple of times & Judd emailed me privatly to help me correct my bad doings. In a very nice way.
    Had some AH in another group try & do that but not privately, threatening to ban me, so I gave him enough ammo to do so. Now the site emails me & wonders where I am. Sold my Keltec too.

Posted 5 years ago #
  41. tanless1

tanless1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At first read my thoughts are "pound sand". Upon further thought..."get over it".
    I hope I've been able to help in some small way.

Posted 5 years ago #
  42. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

From what I can gather, I don't find anyone deliberately trying to type crudely. Many of us type quickly as if we are talking to someone across the table.

I agree that some effort should be used in punctuation, etc, but if it is written so poorly, lets let the moderators handle it.

Allan

Allan
    Posted 5 years ago #
  43. rickpal14

rickpal14

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Everyone makes mistakes, and some will slip through, even with the best intentions in the world. These things happen, and are no big deal.

But

I completely agree with roth on this. If someone can't be bothered to at least attempt to use punctuation and capitalization, I can't be bothered to read their post.

+1 Jud and rothnh

Proud Member of the BlackBlood Society...........
    Posted 5 years ago #
  44. trailspike48

trailspike48

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm difinately not a computer techie. Somehow spell check no longer exists on my computer, not just on this forum but even in my outlook email account. When I'm in doubt I use google.com and enter the word I'm not sure of. Google helps, but I'm sure I misspell words.

I've enen noticed a couple of my posts looked as if Archie Bunker had applied his linquistic twist to my post.

My mistakes that end up printed, hopefully will be taken without offense.

Posted 5 years ago #
  45. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sometimes spacing can be an issue

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 5 years ago #
  46. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 5 years ago #
  47. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 5 years ago #
  48. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

LOL, priceless, Craig! Thanks

Posted 5 years ago #
  49. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

just tried Chrome & it spell checks. guess I will convert. Doesn't catch caps though.

Posted 5 years ago #
  50. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"JJ. Some of us are lazy and some us just don't know how to spell."

Do you mean me? Or is there another "JJ"?

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tobefrank