PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
I just want to remind everyone to proof read their posts! This includes checking for punctuation as well as spelling. I've seen a number of posts lately that have absolutely no commas or periods, and it makes them awful to read. And the simplest thing to fix, but too often ignored: it is I, I'm, I'd, or I've, NOT i, im, id, or ive.
This may not be my place to bring this up, so sorry if I'm stepping on the mod's toes, but when I see too much of this going on, it starts to bug me.
Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar
9. In order to maintain the quality of our forum and facilitate communication, it is the policy of PipesMagazine to encourage the use of standard spelling, punctuation and grammar.
Members are requested to proof read their posts before submitting them. Please capitalize words in the thread titles.
You may be contacted by moderators and asked to reword posts that we deem too difficult for many to read. If there are repeated violations that appear to be due only to laziness, you run the risk of having posts deleted or being submitted for moderation before appearing on the forum.
:puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Where's Simon The Grammarian (ClassicGeek) when we need him? :rofl:

me-004-avatar2.jpg

My hero​

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I think we're seeing a rise in this as more members access the forums and site using a mobile device. I personally go out of my way to make sure everything that comes from my phone is the same as if I were sitting at a computer.
-Jason

docrx

Jan 9, 2011
"Mod" is not a word or an approved abbreviation for moderator as per Miriam Webster Dictionary. (mod's toes)

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
If I annoy or offend anyone with my spelling,grammar, punctuation, run on sentences,ect. I apologize. I am, after all, from the hills of TN! I do my best, but English never was my best subject. I like to refer to myself as a " sophisticated redneck ", although I may be a little off on the sophisticated part. It's ironic, but my wife has a BA in English and Literature! She just refers to me as a regular redneck! Lol! P.S. I'm sure I messed something up in this post as well, sorry again!

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Although I try to be as grammatically correct as I can while I post on here, I do find that I make mistakes and to me that is fine because I am not an English major. I work in the construction industry and if you heard me speak in person then you wouldn't put two and two together that I am the same person writing this post.
But when I get excited about something on here I tend to start typing as though I am speaking to you in person because this is who I am. At times I get comfortable on here as if I was just being myself not trying to sound like someone I am not . This is why I think it's inconsiderate to say that your annoyed with people well that's just my opinion I guess.
I get it though you wanna keep a certain image on this forum but I'm just not that person who will put others down about the way they type just to do that. I like this site because of how welcoming it is not by how it critics my grammar.
I may have taking this way out of proportion but that's just how I feel about it. Not trying to start something here just being the advocate I suppose.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
If it is possible to use spellcheck here, can someone tell me how to employ it? This has come up before and never really resolved to my knowledge.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Can we please leave this to the moderators to take care of in private? This kind of noise gets on my nerves. And another thing, I am sure to use the best grammar, spelling and punctuation that I can but when someone does not, I do not see it as a clear sign of their disrespect for other forum members. Geesh.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I have to admit that this is a bit of a touchy subject for me.( if you haven't gathered that already). I grew up first generation Canadian and although my parents spoke English it was a really broken version of it. So I had a difficult childhood when it came to understand certain things like grammar, punctuation, and words in general. Anyway I worked hard at it in highschool and achieved 90's in English but most of the help I got from my girlfriend at the time( now my wife). She helped me through it all and taught the right ways two talk and write.
So like all things some people just don't have the same privileges as others and it reaches a time where it's almost past the point of learning new things. So it may be this reason why I reacted the way I did because I see it as a form of bullying. Although I know that isn't your intentions I am not accusing anyone just explaining my motive.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
As everyone knows I obsess a bit about titles, and will post and "Edit" message.

Usually only in threads by New-ish members, generally with 20 to 100 posts just to let them know about #9.

I know I'm far from perfect, but I try.
As for correcting grammar or punctuation in a Member's post, only occasionally will I change a letter or fix a dlyseixc spelling error.

And then, only when it's is something that leaps off the page.

:puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I strive to spell and be as grammatically as possible when I'm on the laptop. Using that and Firefox, misspelled words are underlined in red, making for an easy correction (right click and chose the proper spelling).
However, at times I'm replying via my phone. For some reason, it chooses to self-correct spelling and is often wrong. That drives me nuts but Verizon says it cannot be turned off without a complete reset of my phone (this came in an update last year). So, if someone finds gross errors on my posts, I'm not intentionally being disrespectful.

Status
Not open for further replies.