PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
duckfat (which forum spellcheck keeps auto correcting) for President! Not everyone has the same background or skills in the worlds of spelling and grammar, nor have grammar conventions remained static over the span of generations represented in this group (I can't BELIEVE the MLA changed the comma + "and" convention, I had that shiznitz DOWN in 8th grade through my first 3 articles).
Leave real problems to the Moderators and leave the rest alone as it comes off as unadulterated snobbery. A man who is uneducated in grammar, yet good at heart is far better to associate with than a man with 7 degrees but a heart as black as coal.

dread

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
AHHHH!!!! Grammar Police! :rofl:
JJ. Some of us are lazy and some us just don't know how to spell. I for one take the lazy card sometimes but also find it hard to read run-on posts or bad spelling. Most of the time I don't bother with those posts for those reasons.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Well to be fair, I am a tactless snob, among many other much worse qualifiers! However, in this post, I was just trying to help people out.
Oh cool, I didn't know this was a rule. I'll try to work on that some.

Oh yea, I forgot about that. I'll see if I can fix some more mistakes.

Oh really? Didn't know that was a rule. I'll keep it in mind, but make no promises.
Cool, thanks guys!
:puffy:
--OUT

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I'm married to a proof reader. Some publishers send manuscripts through a series of proof reading professionals, to weed out mistakes. However, even with that, errors get through to publication. To keep peace in the family, my spelling and grammar have become much better over the years. But, I am more tolerant of errors online, and overlook some mistakes.
I recall my English professor saying the English language is in constant evolution, and changes over time. I find some of it difficult to swallow, but we are not novelists here. I would not write, or accept "hw r u 2 day" in a thread, but an honest fat-finger is OK with me.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My 8th Grade English teacher, who had a horrible temper always told us:

"Dogs go mad, people get angry". It looked the same to us....

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Glad to see that there are those who agree with the fact that this shouldn't be handled but members.
A man who is uneducated in grammar, yet good at heart is far better to associate with than a man with 7 degrees...
So true.
i thought i was the only one bothered by this thread. my faith in the members on here has risen back up and is even stronger. You guys are the best. :clap:

Aug 1, 2012
I am not the best of proofreaders. Sometimes it takes me 3 or 4 times through to catch all the mistakes even when it's a short post. That said, I respect the rules here and have enough personal pride that I caught and corrected 2 errors in recent posts quite a bit after they were made.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Everyone makes mistakes, and some will slip through, even with the best intentions in the world. These things happen, and are no big deal.
But

Still, we've all seen posts with no caps, one sentence that's a five line paragraph, and/or misspelled words, most of which can easily be corrected using spell-check and by rereading one's post before hitting "Send."
I simply don't think it's too much to ask.
I completely agree with roth on this. If someone can't be bothered to at least attempt to use punctuation and capitalization, I can't be bothered to read their post. :puffy:

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I have been in some sort of printing for more than 40 yrs. Never could spell or type and I am not permitted to proofreed a business card. How or what do I use to spell check these posts? Use a different browser? Write it in word & copy/paste it in here?

BTW, when I first started in here, I screwed up a couple of times & Judd emailed me privatly to help me correct my bad doings. In a very nice way.

Had some AH in another group try & do that but not privately, threatening to ban me, so I gave him enough ammo to do so. Now the site emails me & wonders where I am. Sold my Keltec too.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
At first read my thoughts are "pound sand". Upon further thought..."get over it".

I hope I've been able to help in some small way.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
From what I can gather, I don't find anyone deliberately trying to type crudely. Many of us type quickly as if we are talking to someone across the table.
I agree that some effort should be used in punctuation, etc, but if it is written so poorly, lets let the moderators handle it.
Allan

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Everyone makes mistakes, and some will slip through, even with the best intentions in the world. These things happen, and are no big deal.
But

Still, we've all seen posts with no caps, one sentence that's a five line paragraph, and/or misspelled words, most of which can easily be corrected using spell-check and by rereading one's post before hitting "Send."

I simply don't think it's too much to ask.
I completely agree with roth on this. If someone can't be bothered to at least attempt to use punctuation and capitalization, I can't be bothered to read their post.
+1 Jud and rothnh

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
I'm difinately not a computer techie. Somehow spell check no longer exists on my computer, not just on this forum but even in my outlook email account. When I'm in doubt I use google.com and enter the word I'm not sure of. Google helps, but I'm sure I misspell words.
I've enen noticed a couple of my posts looked as if Archie Bunker had applied his linquistic twist to my post.
My mistakes that end up printed, hopefully will be taken without offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.