Smoking In The Cold And Snow Hints?

(57 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by aquadoc
  • Latest reply from derfatdutchman
  1. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We recently moved to the Northeast and damn if it isn't getting cold. Any advice for smoking outside this winter? It will be greatly appreciated.

I was up at 5ish to get ahead of the shoveling. I puffed on some Billy Budd while shoveling but my mustache had a bit of rime from retrohaling.

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 4 months ago #
  2. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

Dear God... When I say its cold I don't picture anything like that!!! I got nothing.... geesh, I would have said a blanket, but Damn.....

Posted 4 months ago #
  3. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

I live in MN. I can't stand standing, sitting or walking in the freezing cold, so I'm not going to smoke in it. The only answer I came up with was installing a 60,000 BTU gas heater in the garage. My car can stay outside and I'm good now.

Tim
    Posted 4 months ago #
  4. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

My Hellcat does not like you!

Posted 4 months ago #
  5. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

I'm sure your Hellcat would do just fine...

Posted 4 months ago #
  6. maduromadness

maduromadness

Login to Send PM

The garage and a space heater with your warmest clothing; or a military marshmallow suit and warm boots. Stay out of the wind to be the warmest.

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to set up an ice fishing house in the winter. I got a nice one from Bass Pro. Honest. I posted about it last year. It is wonderful. Get a long extension cord and a heater and comfortable chair and you are good to go. Of course you look kind of silly to the neighbors, but it works.

Neal
    Posted 4 months ago #
  8. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

Aquadoc - I smoke outside year-round, also in the Northeast. My advice would be to smoke your beater pipes during the really cold/snowy months. Cobs work well too. Nothing that will potentially be ruined by the extreme temp flux between your cozy house and the outdoors.

I also tend to smoke smaller bowls so I'm not out for longer than I want to be, and have recently taken to smoking shag cuts b/c they burn quicker w/o getting hot on me. Two that come to mind are Three Sails and Ryback.

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. scloyd

scloyd

Login to Send PM

Here's an idea...an igloo.

The winter of 2014 I built an igloo in the backyard. It was big enough for two adults and it was comfortable. Here's a picture of me inside enjoying a beer...the beer always stayed cold.

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For smoking I don't have much to add except for the usual outdoor smoking in wind advice (wind cap or something else to cover the bowl). Of course you'll want to avoid getting snow in the bowl.

Beautiful home you have there!

General cold weather advice:
    Relax. I think when people tense up it restricts blood flow and makes them even colder. Dress in layers. When you are active (e.g. shoveling snow) you can remove a layer. You don't want to sweat because when you stop moving that sweat will be cold. Stay hydrated. Seems counter intuitive but drinking a lot of water helps keep you warm. Pee when you have to so your body isn't wasting effort warming urine.
    Even in very cold weather if you are moving around a lot you will be warm. I was surprised how little clothing I needed for Nordic skiing in even -40 F and colder weather.

Imagine all those aquatic macroinverterbrates going about their lives under the ice. Later in winter you may encounter some of the little black stoneflies (Isocapnia spp) that crawl out onto the snow as adults.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 4 months ago #
  11. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is an old saying, there is no bad weather, just bad clothing. Dress in layers and you are fine.

As for enjoying a pipe when the chilly weather hits, I usually don't, and wait until it warms up.

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. davek

davek

Login to Send PM

Go to your local thrift store and get a warm winter coat. Then find another one big enough to go over the first one. Keep them near the door, put them on and take them off as one unit and call that your smoking jacket.

Smoking jackets were worn in Victorian times to absorb the smell of tobacco smoke and be taken off before the men returned to the gentile society of the ladies. Works a treat for that purpose as well.

I also have a heat lamp on the back porch for those times I want to relax out there for a bit. Someday I may try to enclose my spot for the winter but I haven't figured that out yet.

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

I lived in NY for several years. Below 20 was pretty much a non starter for me because of the whole burning skin thing. I smoked a lot while I was driving back then.

Posted 4 months ago #
  14. captpat

captpat

Login to Send PM

Propane heater in the garage works for me.

Posted 4 months ago #
  15. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great ideas and advice. Thank you.

Posted 4 months ago #
  16. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The hardest thing for me about smoking outside in the winter is getting the tobacco lit. A pipe Zippo works well in the wind. Bics and matches, not so much. And I only take out the cobs below 20 degrees.

Posted 4 months ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

mitch11

Login to Send PM

lol @ smoking igloo picture.

My wife sends me to our garage to smoke so i have a designated “smoking parka” to keep me warm and avoid stinking up my nicer coat. A hot mug of coffee usually helps too!

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dress for the weather and the activity, I don't simply go out to smoke, I'm usually working.

There are "anti-freeze" waxes for mustaches.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  19. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I live in Central Alberta. The smoking arrangement that I made with my wife was that I would smoke in the garage or outside. I prefer to smoke in the garage.
    I use an electric blanket. Plug it in, put the temp where you want it and sit in a chair and read while I smoke.
    Works great.

Posted 4 months ago #
  20. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any advice for smoking outside this winter?

Don't! I've discovered the best winter smoking method for me is to recline my Lazy Boy approximately halfway and light up. The television is an option, the furnace is not

Posted 4 months ago #
  21. seanv

seanv

Login to Send PM

My smoking gets cut down about 90% over winter. I smoke a few bowls in my truck or in the warehouse after work. I now only take my cobs out into the real world after too many close calls with my briars regardless of temperature

Posted 4 months ago #
  22. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

My Hellcat does not like you!

A fellow muscle car owner. Charger or Challenger?

I used to set up an ice fishing house in the winter. I got a nice one from Bass Pro. Honest. I posted about it last year. It is wonderful. Get a long extension cord and a heater and comfortable chair and you are good to go. Of course you look kind of silly to the neighbors, but it works.

I remember reading about you doing this and sort of did the same this year, only I bought a pop up tent, set it up on the back porch and put my chair and heater inside. Works very well and my neighbors already think I'm crazy so I don't care haha.

“A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.”
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
    Posted 4 months ago #
  23. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When it's too cold - I'll just smoke in the car

Posted 4 months ago #
  24. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I gotta ask, "What do some of you consider too cold?" I ask while admitting that "cold" is a relative term, dependent on where you live and what you are used to.

Posted 4 months ago #
  25. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoking In The Cold And Snow Hints?
    Don't do it! Nuff said...

"The weez..."
    Posted 4 months ago #
  26. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I moved from middle and south Georgia to New Hampshire. This will take some adjustment.

Posted 4 months ago #
  27. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't know how it relates to pipe smoking but best advice is don't eat the yellow snow

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 4 months ago #
  28. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My advice is to pick which chimney you want to smoke next to and smoke inside. You have a great home, use it.

Harris
    Posted 4 months ago #
  29. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Warren, when I can't sit comfortably in a lawn chair in my nook in the garage and my legs and core get cold, that's with a down vest and sweat-shirt on, then I break out my preferred 'stay warm' method.

Posted 4 months ago #
  30. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice house!
    Do you smoke in your car? That’s always an option. And it’s heated.

Posted 4 months ago #
  31. eggrollpiper

eggrollpiper

Login to Send PM

Yeah the car is my smoking cave for the winter with all four windows cracked at least an inch and the car gets minimally stinky...
    I was thinking to check out a brick and mortar to smoke in but have yet to try...

Posted 4 months ago #
  32. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Make friends with the cold.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 4 months ago #
  33. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's an idea...an igloo.

The winter of 2014 I built an igloo in the backyard. It was big enough for two adults and it was comfortable. Here's a picture of me inside enjoying a beer...the beer always stayed cold.

Drinking some Leinie's I see, they brew that 8 miles from me.

I'm in Wisconsin. That said, it gets cold here. I smoke mainly Latakia blends, in my car, or outside in 5-10 stints.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  34. hiplainsdrifter

hiplainsdrifter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Step one: buy a new car.

Posted 4 months ago #
  35. hiplainsdrifter

hiplainsdrifter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 4 months ago #
  36. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wife bought the mini for me to commute 120 miles each way once upon a time. It has been a great ride. I can almost fit it in the bed of my truck. And NH roads were made for how it handles.

Posted 4 months ago #
  37. scloyd

scloyd

Login to Send PM

Drinking some Leinie's I see, they brew that 8 miles from me.

I'm a bit further...4 hours. Stopped at the Leinie Lodge last fall on my way home from Duluth.

Posted 4 months ago #
  38. scloyd

scloyd

Login to Send PM

commute 120 miles each way once upon a time

Geez. There was a time I commuted 55 miles each way and I thought that was far.

Posted 4 months ago #
  39. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not my smartest decision. It was a bitch of a ride.

Posted 4 months ago #
  40. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

One of the reasons I took up the pipe was to be able to smoke indoors without excessive complaints from the rest of the family. (Cigars just weren't appreciated by them for some reason.) During the coldest weather I thus have the option of smoking inside. I have a room for this and smoke blends that have a nice room note. I actually like cold weather, so aren't forced inside unless the temps are particularly cold (below zero F) and the windchill factor is strong

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 4 months ago #
  41. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

The thing about the Northeast is those days (weeks) where the temp never gets out of the 20s. I smoked a lot less in the winter when I lived in NY.

Posted 4 months ago #
  42. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

Beautiful house, Aquadoc. I'm with those who say "just smoke inside." It's hard to beat a pipe and whiskey by the fire on a cold day.

Posted 4 months ago #
  43. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm glad my ladyfried enjoys the smell of tobacco, even Gaslight. I smoke indoors when weather is nasty.

If things were differet I'd build a cozy 10x12 man-cave or istall high end filters in a basement room. I smoke a pipe to relax. It's pretty hard to relax while being out in the frezzing cold. Thats for cig smokers who need their fix.

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  44. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Deep fried? Or, more ... gently sauteed?

Posted 4 months ago #
  45. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm in upstate NY on the side of a mountain. It gets spectacularly cold. I smoke in the garage, I need to seal it up a little better and will eventually add heat. I smoke inside very rarely, usually on Christmas and when, like last year, the temperature decided to stay below zero for a week. But I frequently enjoy a pipe in the car as I commute 50 minutes each way. I try not to reduce my smoking through winter but it does happen sometimes.

Posted 4 months ago #
  46. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is a reference to the TV program "Game of Thrones".

Posted 4 months ago #
  47. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

You guys and your cold weather temperatures are helping me to even further appreciate our moderate southern Indiana winters where the temperatures rarely dip below 20 degrees, and rarely stay below freezing for any prolonged period. I spent 7 years in Chicago, and every winter had to endure prolonged stretches where the temperature hovered not so far above zero... never again!

Posted 4 months ago #
  48. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fortunately I love my home and my mountain, or I would hate the winter. It can be brutal, but I also appreciate the cooler summer. I have been in southern Indiana at the wrong time before, and I would not survive some of the summer weather. My family vacations outside of Coal City and we pushed the trip back a month after a few brutal summers.

Posted 4 months ago #
  49. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

Fortunately I love my home and my mountain, or I would hate the winter. It can be brutal, but I also appreciate the cooler summer. I have been in southern Indiana at the wrong time before, and I would not survive some of the summer weather. My family vacations outside of Coal City and we pushed the trip back a month after a few brutal summers.

I've never been to New York, but when I lived in Chicago, we took a lot of trips to the North Woods in Wisconsin and Michigan. I've also been to Vermont, once when I was little. I love the north country and will definitely be back to visit. You're right about some of the southern Indiana summertime temperatures... I like to spend those days in my canoe on a local spring-fed river with a cooler full of beer, a few cobs, and a pouch of Carter Hall. Great swimming weather, but miserable when it's time to do yardwork.

Posted 4 months ago #
  50. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Exactly. Fortunately we are there on vacation and mostly swimming, fishing, drinking, and cooking over a fire. So it works out well for the most part.

Posted 4 months ago #
  51. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

You guys and your cold weather temperatures are helping me to even further appreciate our moderate southern Indiana winters where the temperatures rarely dip below 20 degrees, and rarely stay below freezing for any prolonged period. I spent 7 years in Chicago, and every winter had to endure prolonged stretches where the temperature hovered not so far above zero... never again!

My daughter is a 9th grader and wants to attend college somewhere warm. I'm all for it and in fact, plan to go with her. I wonder if they'll allow an old pipe smoking coot to reside in the dorms. Any case, my days (years) here are numbered.

Posted 4 months ago #
  52. weedsnager

weedsnager

Login to Send PM

Wool fingerless gloves are really nice
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4MGBR6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AI6HXDF3QWCK3&psc=1

Posted 4 months ago #
  53. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have surplus fingerless glove liners. I agree that they are a great help.

Posted 4 months ago #
  54. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

I'm in upstate NY on the side of a mountain. It gets spectacularly cold. I smoke in the garage, I need to seal it up a little better and will eventually add heat. I smoke inside very rarely, usually on Christmas and when, like last year, the temperature decided to stay below zero for a week. But I frequently enjoy a pipe in the car as I commute 50 minutes each way. I try not to reduce my smoking through winter but it does happen sometimes.

One year my friend and I went upstate to go snowmobiling in February. A little town called Lowell(?), north of Utica. It was really beautiful there, but the almanac said their annual snowfall average was 36 FEET. All I know was that it was around zero in the morning with highs around 13-15. Thankfully there were a lot of bars around the trails to stop and get something to warm you up.

Posted 4 months ago #
  55. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We definitely try to keep people warm on the trails. Some areas are cracking down on this, because some guys don't know their own limits, but snowmobiling and bar crawling was a common pastime in these parts.

Posted 4 months ago #
  56. ernieq

ernieq

Login to Send PM

1. Dress warm
    2. Use your bowl to warm your hands
    Alternatively;
    3. Get rid of your significant other and light up in the house.

Posted 3 months ago #
  57. derfatdutchman

derfatdutchman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke in my basement workshop during the winter months. When the wife complains I open up the Bilco door and turn on the old box fan I keep in my shop.

"The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess, and there is no chance of getting more."
    Bismark
    Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   anthonyrosenthal74, daniel7, smittyd, mechanic