PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
We recently moved to the Northeast and damn if it isn't getting cold. Any advice for smoking outside this winter? It will be greatly appreciated.
I was up at 5ish to get ahead of the shoveling. I puffed on some Billy Budd while shoveling but my mustache had a bit of rime from retrohaling.
2018-11-16-08-22-28-600x467.jpg

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Dear God... When I say its cold I don't picture anything like that!!! I got nothing.... geesh, I would have said a blanket, but Damn.....

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I live in MN. I can't stand standing, sitting or walking in the freezing cold, so I'm not going to smoke in it. The only answer I came up with was installing a 60,000 BTU gas heater in the garage. My car can stay outside and I'm good now.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
The garage and a space heater with your warmest clothing; or a military marshmallow suit and warm boots. Stay out of the wind to be the warmest.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I used to set up an ice fishing house in the winter. I got a nice one from Bass Pro. Honest. I posted about it last year. It is wonderful. Get a long extension cord and a heater and comfortable chair and you are good to go. Of course you look kind of silly to the neighbors, but it works.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Aquadoc - I smoke outside year-round, also in the Northeast. My advice would be to smoke your beater pipes during the really cold/snowy months. Cobs work well too. Nothing that will potentially be ruined by the extreme temp flux between your cozy house and the outdoors.
I also tend to smoke smaller bowls so I'm not out for longer than I want to be, and have recently taken to smoking shag cuts b/c they burn quicker w/o getting hot on me. Two that come to mind are Three Sails and Ryback.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Here's an idea...an igloo.
The winter of 2014 I built an igloo in the backyard. It was big enough for two adults and it was comfortable. Here's a picture of me inside enjoying a beer...the beer always stayed cold.
insideigloosnowcae2014-005-600x398.jpg

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
For smoking I don't have much to add except for the usual outdoor smoking in wind advice (wind cap or something else to cover the bowl). Of course you'll want to avoid getting snow in the bowl.
Beautiful home you have there!
General cold weather advice:

Relax. I think when people tense up it restricts blood flow and makes them even colder. Dress in layers. When you are active (e.g. shoveling snow) you can remove a layer. You don't want to sweat because when you stop moving that sweat will be cold. Stay hydrated. Seems counter intuitive but drinking a lot of water helps keep you warm. Pee when you have to so your body isn't wasting effort warming urine.

Even in very cold weather if you are moving around a lot you will be warm. I was surprised how little clothing I needed for Nordic skiing in even -40 F and colder weather.
Imagine all those aquatic macroinverterbrates going about their lives under the ice. Later in winter you may encounter some of the little black stoneflies (Isocapnia spp) that crawl out onto the snow as adults.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Go to your local thrift store and get a warm winter coat. Then find another one big enough to go over the first one. Keep them near the door, put them on and take them off as one unit and call that your smoking jacket.
Smoking jackets were worn in Victorian times to absorb the smell of tobacco smoke and be taken off before the men returned to the gentile society of the ladies. Works a treat for that purpose as well.
I also have a heat lamp on the back porch for those times I want to relax out there for a bit. Someday I may try to enclose my spot for the winter but I haven't figured that out yet.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I lived in NY for several years. Below 20 was pretty much a non starter for me because of the whole burning skin thing. I smoked a lot while I was driving back then.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
The hardest thing for me about smoking outside in the winter is getting the tobacco lit. A pipe Zippo works well in the wind. Bics and matches, not so much. And I only take out the cobs below 20 degrees.

mitch11

Lurker
Nov 18, 2018
lol @ smoking igloo picture.
My wife sends me to our garage to smoke so i have a designated “smoking parka” to keep me warm and avoid stinking up my nicer coat. A hot mug of coffee usually helps too!

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I live in Central Alberta. The smoking arrangement that I made with my wife was that I would smoke in the garage or outside. I prefer to smoke in the garage.

I use an electric blanket. Plug it in, put the temp where you want it and sit in a chair and read while I smoke.

Works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.