Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Savinelli vs. Peterson "systems"

(35 posts)
  1. kf5eqv

kf5eqv

Login to Send PM

I was looking around at pipes, and noticed the Savinelli "Dry System" pipes look and sound an awful lot like Peterson "system" pipes.

Does anyone know if there is a difference other than name-brand? Is the Savinelli system just a clone of the Peterson?

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
    Posted 8 years ago #
  2. standardgewehr

standardgewehr

Login to Send PM

Peterson passes smoke through a hollow chamber where moisture condenses and is trapped. Savinelli passes smoke around a replaceable balsa wood "filter" that absorbs moisture.

I have no experience with brand S but they seem well thought of. Brand P works well for me.

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. puffintuff

puffintuff

Login to Send PM

I can't tell the difference between the two systems as far as smoking goes,
    but I don't use the filter on the Savs.

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. hilojohnny

hilojohnny

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I believe they smoke equally well....The lip hole ( or whatever it's called ) in the stem is slightly larger and different shaped in the Savinelli and I also have removed the filters.

Live Aloha!
    Posted 8 years ago #
  5. jcsnaps

jcsnaps

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke my Sav with the filters and it works fine for me. I don't have a Pete system pipe to compare it to.

Posted 8 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I use the sav balsa system as well. Both work just fine at removing moisture to cool the smoke and lessen tongue bite.

I use the Sav system because the balsa filters also fit into a MM cob as well. yes they're the same size as thos crappy medico filter fiendish things that make everything tast like cardboard while doing nothing constructive. So for me the Balsa system has a duel purpose and works well for me too. MY Savinellis have never once gurgled.

I can't speak for the peterson dry systems though. My only peterson is a meer.

What it boils down to for you is a difficult choice. So what I advise is this. Go to http://www.Cupojoes.com and buy a Savinelli economy pipe. Less than $50. I can't remember if they come with balsa filters or not. I think they do. But for $2 I would order some anyway.

You can't go wrong at those prices. Most all Savinellis pipes fit the new balsa filters except those big 9mm pipes.

Then you can also buy a Peterson Dry system downn the road. Sure they cost more than an economy pipe. But you can put the two systems side by side to add to your own personal experience for future pipe purchases.

Hope this helps you in your decision making process.

Mr. Ben

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. ivan08

ivan08

Login to Send PM

i have a Peterson System, is very good! i have the same question like u hehehe! i want a savinelli but im doing some research about them ; the peterson works well for me.

Posted 8 years ago #
  8. seakayak

seakayak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I currently have four Petersons (including one meerschaum and three briars) and two Savinelli briars in my collection. Both systems offer equally fine smokes in my opinion. I have never used the balsa insert with the Savs preferring to keep it as simple as possible. In my experience, the dryness of the smoking experience on any given day has more to do with the moisture content of a chosen tobacco than with the design of the pipe.

Posted 8 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

In my experience, the dryness of the smoking experience on any given day has more to do with the moisture content of a chosen tobacco than with the design of the pipe.

This is where any and all the moisture comes from. No matter how a pipe is designed the moment you enter tobacco into the equation you enter moisture into the system. Hence the need to remove the moisture from the draw and thus cooling the smoke. Pipe design can remove gurgle though it is difficult to introduce something to remove moisture at the bottom of the bowl.

I think Falcon pipes have a good system to reduce gurgle. But they don't remove moisture from the draw the way we're talking about here. Less moisture...less tongue bite. More pleasureable pipe smoking moments.

This message has been brought to you by.... Perique and the letter "H"

Posted 8 years ago #
  10. kf5eqv

kf5eqv

Login to Send PM

I have a Savinelli #621 with a balsa filter. Specifically, I was curious about these:
    http://www.savinelliusa.com/dry.htm
    http://www.pipesandcigars.com/sadrysy.html

They appear to be more than just the balsa filter found in their other pipes, but I'm having a very hard time finding out any REAL info on them.

(edit to add)
    I just found the link below. Seems like they are Peterson "system" clones with a balsa filter thrown in for good measure.
    http://www.wesleys.co.za/Savinellidry.htm

Posted 8 years ago #
  11. standardgewehr

standardgewehr

Login to Send PM

It appears I misinterpreted your original question, my apologies. Those links are verrrrry interesting... a double dry system whammy! I'm going to have to look at one of those...

Posted 8 years ago #
  12. kf5eqv

kf5eqv

Login to Send PM

No worries, I probably could have been a little bit clearer in my original post.

Posted 8 years ago #
  13. marmal4de

marmal4de

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

whammy!

WHAAAAAMMY!
    The best smokes I get are from my peterson system pipes, i really love the p-lip too. I don't have any Savs to give a comparison with though.

In a society that has destroyed all adventure, the only adventure left is to destroy that society.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    Posted 8 years ago #
  14. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

I wish the System pipes had more bowl capacity, as they all have fairly small bowls on them.

" I'm talking about the kind of sound you can feel. When it comes to great stereo you can't beat big speakers, I'm talking about big speakers with big woofers."
    Posted 8 years ago #
  15. marmal4de

marmal4de

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wish the System pipes had more bowl capacity, as they all have fairly small bowls on them.

I agree, my favourite system pipe, my 31, has such a tiny bowl!

Posted 8 years ago #
  16. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

I just went to the Peterson website and used the Contact Us feature and emailed them a request to come out with a new model with a bigger bowl capacity....maybe more of us should do that.

Posted 8 years ago #
  17. marmal4de

marmal4de

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

hobie, you genius! I just did the same thing! A system pipe, with bowl capacity of a house pipe... dream come true!

Posted 8 years ago #
  18. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Look for an XL 315. Nice large bowl on a system.

If at first you don't succeed you are running about average.
    Posted 8 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

No worries, I probably could have been a little bit clearer in my original post.

Bah...you women are all alike, never clear on anything. LOL

Both systems are great indeed. I like the little cup for the Balsa myself. Just means it pulls more condensation down. But it can be a chore to clean. But this is the primary reason why my Savs never gurgle. Ok well they did one time and then again it was my bad. I should have run a PC thru it after the 2nd bowl.

yeah the Peterson Bowls are seemingly small. But then again I don't care much either. After all they're doing something right because they smoke great.

Why fix something if it aint broken. Want more toby? Load another bowl I say.

Note: its to my understanding that Savinelli came out with the first balsa system. But don't quote me on that please.

Posted 8 years ago #
  20. 990rick

990rick

Login to Send PM

Has anybody smoked a Carey's magic inch pipe? If so, what are your thoughts?

Posted 8 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

them69

Login to Send PM

I have a Pete. Love it. A Sav is next on PAD list.

Posted 8 years ago #
  22. marmal4de

marmal4de

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Carey's magic inch

That's what she said!

I couldn't help myself!

Posted 8 years ago #
  23. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have several. All re-stemmed to get rid of the Magic Grinch! I don't like smoking air.

Posted 8 years ago #
  24. 990rick

990rick

Login to Send PM

Unc, am I reading your post right that the airhole ends up thinning out the smoke?

By the way, I just got my first Savinelli. It's one of the economy models; no fancy finish, but it does have the balsa filter and it's the best smoking pipe I've tried in my short time with pipe smoking. Plus, while not fancy, it's just wonderfully made, feels great in my hand and delivers dry tasty smoke. It is my favorite.

Posted 8 years ago #
  25. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Exactly 990 rick. You end up with a nice bland cool flavorless smoke.

Posted 8 years ago #
  26. 990rick

990rick

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the tip on the Magic Grinch. And Misterben, thanks so much for the suggestion about trying the economy Savinelli. I like to let the smoke travel around on my tongue a little so it's really important for it not to be too hot. This little Duca Carlo that I just got from CupoJoe's is just an absolute pleasure to smoke. I like it so much I smoked an extra time today. And I'm finding it much easier to break in than the Cellini Chicago. Anyway, great tip.

Posted 8 years ago #
  27. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Savs are excellent pipes. I am a major Peterson nut myself so I tend to favor the Pete system pipes.

Posted 8 years ago #
  28. kodiakred13

kodiakred13

Login to Send PM

I have a Peterson Standard System 307 and it works as advertised.
    I am quite happy with it and have never had a gurgle.

Posted 8 years ago #
  29. chuckw

chuckw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peterson uses the famous or infamous, depending upon your like or dislike of the brand, P-lip that directs the smoke stream up to the roof of the mouth which is a boon for aromatic and some Va. smokers. They also use a graduated bore in the stem to smooth the transition from the mortice to the tenon.
    Savinelli uses a standard Steck bit that directs a narrow stream of smoke directly across the tongue. They also use a balsa "fitler" to assist in the drying of the smoke that should be replaced after each bowl.
    I've had examples of each brand and now own 67 Peterson's and no Savinelli's.

I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
    Posted 8 years ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

990. glad you are enjoying your first cool smoke. Can't spit on those economy pipes. Most of the shanks are drilled with the dry system design too. I have one that isn't but still allows for the balsa filter. Still never a gurgle.

But despite how some people perceive the replacement of the balsa filters, Savinelli recommends replacement every 3-4 bowls. This is written on the paper work with their more pricey premium pipes. So from Savinelli to your pipe...... take that as good advice.

Heres a funny one. I forgot to replace the balsa filter on the pipe I use when at work for at least 2 weeks. I just spaced it out. Never a gurgle, foul flavor....nothing.

Hows that for a good system?

Next up for me is a Peterson with a P-lip. Good idea especially for clenchers it seems.

Posted 8 years ago #
  31. pipetrucker

pipetrucker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like and own both and find they are great smokers. As the for balsa insert in the Savs, I replace them after 5 - 7 bowls. I suppose goopy aromatics may require a more frequent change.

Mason

And though it is much to be a nobleman, it is more to be a gentleman. - Anthony Trollope
    Posted 8 years ago #
  32. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Next up for me is a Peterson with a P-lip. Good idea especially for clenchers it seems.

Don't ask Lawrence about that.

Posted 8 years ago #
  33. shotokun16

shotokun16

Login to Send PM

ya i own two savinellis and their balsa systems are unbelievable! Out of my eight pipes my savinellis are my best smokers.

Off topic: Does anyone own a savinelli Autograph? I just recently won one on ebay and i think i went a little overboard on a 1993 pipe.

Posted 8 years ago #
  34. viceroy

viceroy

Login to Send PM

I like my Sav. But I recently bought an estate system. I love it love the shape, and I find it to be dryer then the Sav. Plus no filter to buy and replace.

Posted 8 years ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

how open is the draw on the sav system pipes when smoked without a filter? I was thinking of getting one of the big ones. I prefer a very open draw. I usually smoke 9mm punto oro without the filter and this is perfect for me.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jfred, supdog, redglow, elpfeife, ben88, trubka2, jaytex969