Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
I was looking around at pipes, and noticed the Savinelli "Dry System" pipes look and sound an awful lot like Peterson "system" pipes.
Does anyone know if there is a difference other than name-brand? Is the Savinelli system just a clone of the Peterson?

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
Peterson passes smoke through a hollow chamber where moisture condenses and is trapped. Savinelli passes smoke around a replaceable balsa wood "filter" that absorbs moisture.
I have no experience with brand S but they seem well thought of. Brand P works well for me.

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
I can't tell the difference between the two systems as far as smoking goes,

but I don't use the filter on the Savs.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I believe they smoke equally well....The lip hole ( or whatever it's called ) in the stem is slightly larger and different shaped in the Savinelli and I also have removed the filters.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
I smoke my Sav with the filters and it works fine for me. I don't have a Pete system pipe to compare it to.

ivan08

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2010
i have a Peterson System, is very good! i have the same question like u hehehe! i want a savinelli but im doing some research about them ; the peterson works well for me.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
I currently have four Petersons (including one meerschaum and three briars) and two Savinelli briars in my collection. Both systems offer equally fine smokes in my opinion. I have never used the balsa insert with the Savs preferring to keep it as simple as possible. In my experience, the dryness of the smoking experience on any given day has more to do with the moisture content of a chosen tobacco than with the design of the pipe.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
I have a Savinelli #621 with a balsa filter. Specifically, I was curious about these:

http://www.savinelliusa.com/dry.htm

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/sadrysy.html
They appear to be more than just the balsa filter found in their other pipes, but I'm having a very hard time finding out any REAL info on them.
(edit to add)

I just found the link below. Seems like they are Peterson "system" clones with a balsa filter thrown in for good measure.

http://www.wesleys.co.za/Savinellidry.htm

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
It appears I misinterpreted your original question, my apologies. Those links are verrrrry interesting... a double dry system whammy! I'm going to have to look at one of those...

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I just went to the Peterson website and used the Contact Us feature and emailed them a request to come out with a new model with a bigger bowl capacity....maybe more of us should do that.

990rick

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2011
Has anybody smoked a Carey's magic inch pipe? If so, what are your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.