PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

990rick

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2011
Unc, am I reading your post right that the airhole ends up thinning out the smoke?
By the way, I just got my first Savinelli. It's one of the economy models; no fancy finish, but it does have the balsa filter and it's the best smoking pipe I've tried in my short time with pipe smoking. Plus, while not fancy, it's just wonderfully made, feels great in my hand and delivers dry tasty smoke. It is my favorite.

990rick

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2011
Thanks for the tip on the Magic Grinch. And Misterben, thanks so much for the suggestion about trying the economy Savinelli. I like to let the smoke travel around on my tongue a little so it's really important for it not to be too hot. This little Duca Carlo that I just got from CupoJoe's is just an absolute pleasure to smoke. I like it so much I smoked an extra time today. And I'm finding it much easier to break in than the Cellini Chicago. Anyway, great tip.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Savs are excellent pipes. I am a major Peterson nut myself so I tend to favor the Pete system pipes.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Peterson uses the famous or infamous, depending upon your like or dislike of the brand, P-lip that directs the smoke stream up to the roof of the mouth which is a boon for aromatic and some Va. smokers. They also use a graduated bore in the stem to smooth the transition from the mortice to the tenon.

Savinelli uses a standard Steck bit that directs a narrow stream of smoke directly across the tongue. They also use a balsa "fitler" to assist in the drying of the smoke that should be replaced after each bowl.

I've had examples of each brand and now own 67 Peterson's and no Savinelli's.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I like and own both and find they are great smokers. As the for balsa insert in the Savs, I replace them after 5 - 7 bowls. I suppose goopy aromatics may require a more frequent change.

shotokun16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
ya i own two savinellis and their balsa systems are unbelievable! Out of my eight pipes my savinellis are my best smokers.
Off topic: Does anyone own a savinelli Autograph? I just recently won one on ebay and i think i went a little overboard on a 1993 pipe.

viceroy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2010
I like my Sav. But I recently bought an estate system. I love it love the shape, and I find it to be dryer then the Sav. Plus no filter to buy and replace.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
how open is the draw on the sav system pipes when smoked without a filter? I was thinking of getting one of the big ones. I prefer a very open draw. I usually smoke 9mm punto oro without the filter and this is perfect for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.