Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake

(29 posts)
  1. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does anyone know a site that has this in stock anywhere? I ordered from a not very reputable retailer and ended up getting stiffed on my purchase. I was surprised since they were previously recommended in this forum for their house blends. This is the only straight Virginia that I've really enjoyed and now I can't find it. I'm also open to buying if anyone is looking to offload some. Thank you in advance for any help.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

PM sent

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I ordered from a not very reputable retailer and ended up getting stiffed on my purchase.

Let me guess... Windy City?

I think it's out almost everywhere right now. You may have to call around? I picked up the last 4 tins that Peretti's had about a month ago, and noticed that Iwan Ries still had a few at the same time but are now gone. Mr. Snuff has some, but it's a pretty penny and shipping ain't cheap. Although, their customer service is great and I've placed a number of orders for snuff with them over the years and always received my order within 4-5 days. It will run you a little over $100 for a 250g box. Maybe someone on here will have mercy on you and sell some? Godspeed.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well... there you go. ashdigger to the rescue. Nice!

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not Windy City but replace one of those two words and you have the retailer.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Windy City has actually been generally good unless I use a coupon with them. When I do, they sit on my order for up to a week. Btw "ty5" will get you $5 off.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

8. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ray, they have 8 tins available.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

kanse

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

10. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ashdigger:
    Ray, they have 8 tins available

Then jacks6 better hurry.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

jitterbugdude

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

and...... gone!

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It wasn't me unfortunately. I put a few tins in my cart - got distracted, and then they were gone. Lol

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

kanse

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The link I provided sells bulk and seems to be stocked.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Let me see if I have this right: Jack6 gets on here to ask the members if anyone knows where he can find some SG FVF and a few respond with a website, and before jack6 can complete the transaction, other(s) lurking on the thread steal it out from under his nose?

Nice.

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Let me see if I have this right: Jack6 gets on here to ask the members if anyone knows where he can find some SG FVF and a few respond with a website, and before jack6 can complete the transaction, other(s) lurking on the thread steal it out from under his nose?

Nice.

Boy, I thought I was getting cynical in my old age. I was actually twisted enough to briefly entertain the idea of someone doing this while reading through this thread ... Shame shame.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This forum is not the center of the universe, yet. I suspect that retailer has customers, some of whom buy FVF, that have never heard of PipesMagazine.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On that topic I noticed that almost immediately after I posted my recent review of Brown Sugar Flake my usual supplier was down to a mere three tins left with no hope of getting anymore!

By rights they weren't supposed to be selling it anyway, it is only the Danish Pipe Shop who is allowed to sell it but it certainly made me think that I might have spoiled my own patch by bringing the blend to the attention of a wider audience

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Next time when I make a website recommendation I'll send a PM. My bad Jacks6.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

P&C has Mixture 79 in stock!

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This may not be the center of the pipe universe but I don't know anything closer to it, and all too often after people have posed something having come into stock somewhere, within minutes others post that they have effectively cleaned out the inventory buying up all they had! They even brag about it! So, coincidence? Maybe, but I doubt that 5 minutes after a tobacco thread came up here the supplier gets all cleaned out was totally unrelated. And the guy who was the one who actually brought it up never even got one can. At least there is the other place (they are probably cleaned out too by now). Pure selfish greed or opportunism.

I guess I was raised differently; if I go to a site to buy something I want and they have 8, I might buy 4, and if they only have 6, I might buy 4 or 3, leaving some for someone else. Who knows, maybe the next guy will do the same for me.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"within minutes others post that they have effectively cleaned out the inventory buying up all they had! They even brag about it!"

And therein lies the saddest aspect of pipesmoking...for me at least. Stock up on your favoured blend by all means but leave some on the shelves for your fellow smoker to pick up.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Toobfreak, but on the other hand the guy that "brought it up" was sent 8 ounces of 3 yr old FVF.

So this place isn't the shit hole of greed you suppose.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you, Tim

Painting the forum membership with the broad brush of greed and malfeasance is uncalled for.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Putting words in one's mouth that were never said, or reading more into a post than was ever said is both unnecessary and reckless. There is a big difference between describing the actions of a few people vs. describing the actions of the entire forum, which I never attempted to do. Please understand the difference.

We all know they are out there. I've seen several brag about cleaning out inventories on a popular and sought after item, so I know you've seen them as well. Of course, they have every right to stock and hoard, it is a matter of personal ETHICS, every man for himself, right?, but as I'm sure many have noticed, you read about a great, little-known item here that has flown under most people's radar, and next day, all the shelves are bare. I don't believe in PAD but maybe there is a TAD?

But I'm glad that jack6 finally got a few ounces. Bravo to whoever sent it. Me, if I go to place an order and some blend I've read good things about is out of stock (and some always seem to be), I just order something else! Some of my favorite blends I've found that way! Great stuff that remains available on the shelf because it has somehow missed the spotlight of panic buying.

Tobacco is a weed---- it ain't going nowhere.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dan, with all due respect I don't think Toobfreak was speaking of the majority of forum members when he made his statement.

As he correctly points out, there have been many occasions where some forum members do indeed boast about their latest plunderings (often with pictures as proof) and openly stating that they had cleared the shelf to the dismay of those with perhaps shallower pockets who are unable to even purchase a 'reasonable' quantity of their preferred blends.

There is much altruism shown on these forums with members giving freely to (largely) total strangers and that is to be applauded but I also think that having a thought for your fellow smoker whose financial circumstances may be very different to your own when making up your orders is not too much to ask.

Just my tuppence worth

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't speak for anyone else but I know whenever I read a glowing review of something that sounds to my taste or when someone posts a vendor has something I want for sale my immediate reaction is to buy log off, take a nap and dream of kittens to give the OP a chance to stock up. I never assume the OP understands how the internet works nor has ample foresight to stock up on the item.

Edit: Whenever someone posts about waffling on an inexpensive pipe I always try to relieve their frustration by taking the choice out of their hands. I find cheap pipes tend to burn well and it's awfully cold this winter.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Toob, I'm glad to see your clarification. Thank you, and my apologies if I over reacted.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey, no problem, thank you woodsroad! I probably could have stated things better anyway, but as usual, was typing things on the fly in a hurry.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Check your pm's Jack.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   laniromee, jiminks, danimalia