Tags:  No tags yet. 

Risk if any of my pipe habit

(97 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by cinosam
  • Latest reply from ophiuchus
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

cinosam

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone. This is my first post. So, I have smoked a pipe on and off since I was a freshman in college (2004). By on and off I mean, perhaps a few times a month, if at all. There have been months when I smoked it once or twice a week, and months where I never smoked it at all. There have been many times I bought a bag or tin of tobacco, smoked from it two or three times, and then forgot about it and found it months or even years later, nearly full. So in brief, I'd say I smoke infrequently.

I think I'm somehow immune to nicotine addiction, as I went through sporadic periods of smoking cigarettes - mostly hand-rolled, very occasionally store-bought - during college, never with any consistency at all. There would be weeks where I'd have a cigarette every day, weeks where I'd have one or two cigarettes on the weekend while drinking, and weeks (and months) where I would not have ANY cigarettes whatsoever. Most of the cigarettes in my possession wound up being bummed by friends. In the past five years since college I've smoked maybe eight cigarettes, total. I know it says in the rules no talking about cigarettes, but I only bring this up to emphasize that am not dependent on nicotine.

In any case, I have recently gotten some small sample bags of pipe tobacco and have been sampling them, about once every other day, since Christmas. This is the most frequently I've ever smoked my pipe, and as I have hypochondriac tendencies I am becoming paranoid about health problems. I want to try to smoke the pipe as healthily as possible. So: I always drink cold water while smoking; I never inhale the smoke into my lungs; and I rinse my mouth out afterwards with tea tree oil (diluted with water), which I also use each morning and each night before bed as a daily practice regardless of whether I've been smoking the pipe.

I have searched mightily but can't find any medical studies of whether this kind of infrequent pipe smoking carries any risk. All the studies I have found seem to relate to cigarette smoking, with the occasional "PIPES/CIGARS ARE JUST AS BAD AS CIGARETTES SO NEVER SMOKE THEM EVER" scaremongering. All the medical websites seem to treat pipe smoking as a black-and-white issue with no middle ground i.e. no concept of doing it in moderation. And it'd be damn helpful to know where my pipe habit would fall in the spectrum of health.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here we go again.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome!

Even one a day is considered "low" or "infrequent" for most studies. Not inhaling eliminates a lot of risk too. Yes, there is a slightly higher risk if you smoke (things like oral and esophageal cancers). But you have no reason to worry. Not many studies look at the occasional smoker because 1. The population is too small to make a good sample inference. 2. My opinion, I believe the study's author knows they would not find a significant health effect. As you suspected, it is an absolute lie that pipe smoking, cigar smoking, and cigarette smoking are all equally dangerous. Also, keep in mind that ANY epidemiological study only shows correlation at the population level. They do not say that any individual will have negative health effects because they smoke... way too many factors to control for.

That said, it sounds like you are doing a sensible thing. Take care of yourself, get check ups, all that good stuff. All you can do is consider the risk, and make a choice. I hope you stick around and enjoy your pipe and sampling!

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No smoking is healthy. If you have health concerns, do not smoke. Not a pipe, cigar or cigarette.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipes are nowhere near as dangerous as cigarettes, and if the 1964 Surgeon General's report is to believed, may actually be beneficial. Let's put it this way: you'd have to smoke a lot of pipes in a broom closet to equal the risk of consuming one char-broiled hamburger, never mind a steak!
    Also consider the risks of mountain biking, skiing, and you get the idea.
    I've been smoking for 54 years and my pipes have rewarded me with superb pleasure. Paul Spaniola died a few months ago at the age of 100--clear proof of the dangers of smoking. Bottom line: you're over 21 and entitled to make your own decisions.

Eric
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

cinosam

Login to Send PM

"Here we go again," yeah I imagine this question probably gets asked a lot here. Remember I am from a generation where "TOBACCO = DEATH" was drummed into our heads constantly so there is no small amount of social conditioning to break through.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Here we go again," yeah I imagine this question probably gets asked a lot here. Remember I am from a generation where "TOBACCO = DEATH" was drummed into our heads constantly so there is no small amount of social conditioning to break through.

A lot recently it seems. There is a recent thread with a link to the 64 surgeon general's report. Have you read that? Also, on this website somewhere there is a link to a great summary of plenty of tobacco studies. Once you see one, they are all quite similar... Examine tobacco use, usually do not hold relevant factors constant (like was a previous cigarette smoker, inhaling...) and makes claims about significant tobacco use, like 5+ cigars a day.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

My pee-pee fell off; but other than that it's been pretty good.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. yazamitaz

yazamitaz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cortez, you never fail to entertain

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. zekest

zekest

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The title says it all, with the use of "Habit".

Don't smoke.
    It is known to the state of California to cause death.
    Nobody on this forum would advocate you starting a tobacco habit.

Please let your high school teacher know this forum does not advocate smoking.

Now go get your homework done before your mom gets mad!

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

cinosam

Login to Send PM

lol yeah yeah I know, I was asking for that one with a thread like this (what was I expecting the guys on a pipe forum to say? "IT'S TERRIBLY RISKY! STOP IT AT ONCE!") I guess I just have issues with guilt and needing to be validated by others. True story, I was inspired to take up pipe smoking from the psychiatrist I was sent to when I was in high school. I loved the way his office smelled. (I highly doubt he is allowed to smoke in there today.)

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do you eat bacon, or hot dogs, or any other meats with any preservatives? Do you drive a car on a regular basis? Both of those things are as dangerous to your health and well being as enjoying pipe smoking in moderation. Life in general is risky business. Everything we do is a roll of the dice. Some people smoke constantly and live to be 90 or older. Some live a stellar healthy, vegan life and die of a heart attack. There is no stock answer. Your have to decide what your priorities are and what makes you happy, then make thoughtful decisions for yourself, and take responsibility for them. Sorry if that is not much help.

As my mother said to me once: "Cheer up, things could be worse." So I cheered up, and sure enough things got worse.

Sorry again, I had some rum to drink while smoking my pipe.

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

If you live in a city, and if you breath, you are inhaling about the carcinogenic equivalent of a pack of cigarettes a day. The occasional puff on a pipe isn't really going to tip the scales by much. I don't inhale pipe smoke and I don't smoke indoors.
    Any smoking entails a bit of risk. So too, does breathing in an urban area.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What would a 98 year old Bertrand say to this?
    Note: picture intentionally large to make a point.

The pipe eases you into the present moment - savor your pipe & you'll savor this moment.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  15. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You are going to die whether you smoke or not. I suggest that smoking probably tips the odds a bit towards a horrific, cancer ridden death. How much of a tip? I have no idea. Worth the risk? Your call! It's very unfair to try and involve others in this decision.

I do know that everyone I've known who smoked and died, did so before the age of 120 years. This is also true for those that didn't smoke. Hope this helps (not really).

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. bluesmk

bluesmk

Login to Send PM

"Here we go again." and everything agnosticpipe and sablebrush52 stated so well.
    Dan
    Gabrieli Pipes PS: no one gets out alive,enjoy!

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Russell's not so good as an example. He looked dead years before he was. He was only age 26 in that picture.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do you eat bacon, or hot dogs, or any other meats with any preservatives? Do you drive a car on a regular basis?

Don't forget the risks inherent in oral sex and Human Papilloma Virus :

"A study published in The New England Journal of Medicine showed that those infected with HPV were 32 times more likely to develop oral or throat cancers. This finding dwarfs the increased risk associated with two acknowledged factors for developing these cancers: smoking (three times more likely to develop cancer) and drinking (2.5 times). Research published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology found that HPV now accounts for more head and neck cancers than tobacco or alcohol."
    (Source: http://www.mouthcancerfoundation.org/patients-guide/hpv-risks )

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am from a generation where "TOBACCO = DEATH" was drummed into our heads constantly so there is no small amount of social conditioning to break through

That is not the obstacle in front of you.

The problem is that you never learned to think for, and believe in, yourself.

Do your own research, make up your own mind, live with and enjoy the choices that you make.

SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS:
    GL Pease Gaslight in a Peterson's 406 with a snifter of VSOP Cognac of your choice.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think I can best sum up most people's thoughts in one sentence. These forums are not used to talk someone into smoking a pipe.

My great-grandfather smoked a pipe. Ate bacon and eggs every day, and lived until he was nearly 101.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is not what I'm thinking.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

hence the "most"

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Don't forget the risks inherent in oral sex

Some things I refuse to give up.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

My great-grandfather smoked a pipe. Ate bacon and eggs every day, and lived until he was nearly 101.

So he died young. He might have made it to 102 if he'd just eased up on the eggs...
    or maybe the oral sex

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When it boils down to it, I decided I love pipe smoking too much to simply be afraid of cancer all the time, at first I was scared, but after a while it faded and I have no fear left anymore. The fear is natural, but men have this amazing ability to block it out and move on I hope you stick with us and master your fear, the risks are minimal, honestly I won't give up sex and I find that far more dangerous.

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  26. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

pylorns: 'Tis sad when the good die so young.

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

cinosam

Login to Send PM

Thank you everyone for the responses. I appreciate it. I'm not trying to be a prick, I swear.

It isn't so much that I'm in fear for my life, or of cancer (no family members I know of have had cancer except my grandpa who had prostate cancer at 75 and recovered quickly.) And pipe tobacco is free from the chemical crap found in cigs so I know it's better on that count. But there are other things to consider. Such as:

Canker sores
    Taste buds becoming dull
    Teeth decay/plaque
    Sore gums or tongue

I guess what I want to know is, at the rate I smoke (a few bowls a week), could these potentially be issues, and might drinking water and rinsing my mouth with tea trea oil go some ways in staving them off?

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. lostandfound

lostandfound

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What exactly is the driving factor behind hypochondrainism? Is it actually a medical diagnosis, with no cure, or just a mental thing, like a fear of spiders, that can be overcome?

I just read your above post and I have to say: "Dude, we accept you as you are, but chill out... For real. Even if you get a canker sore... Damn, so what?"

Jerod
    Posted 5 years ago #
  29. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I suspect that the answer to your question is totally dependent on your ownphysiology. My suggestion is that, if the answer is so important to you, you find out what your genetic deficiencies are. Such an exam of your DNA will provide you some insight as to your susceptibilities to various illnesses.

Also, pipe tobacco when burned will emit the same carcinogens as most any burned material, including logs and smokers (Beware the bar-be-ques). There are some additional chemicals in cigarette papers, especially those designed to burn and not go out when sitting in an ash tray so as to sell more product ("Natural" cigarettes usually do not have this and there for die out when not being smoked). But, it's the ignition and combustion that causes most of the chemicals, read: poisons,that are recited in that stupid ad you see so often on TV.

Most any Oncologist will tell you that it is the burning of the tobacco that makes it the most hazardous. Chews and snuffs present a different set of circumstances.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The tea tree oil will deaden your taste buds. It dulls the nerve ending to decrease pain.

also, I don't recommend smoking a pipe while roller skating, jumping on a trampoline, or when covered in gasoline. But, I'm sure that there are other deadly things that you shouldn't subject the hobby too.

Welcome to the forum, ha ha...

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  31. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Aside from the physical aspects of smoking for you, there is also the question of your admitted hypochondria. If smoking is going to cause you to worry or to perseverate about possible effects, why engage in it? There are plenty of other pleasures to be experienced in life.

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

cinosam

Login to Send PM

It would be something else if it wasn't the smoking. And it comes and goes. I can deal with it. I just figure, the more knowledge of something's effects on the body, the better...the better I can decide when, how, and if to do it. There have been plenty of good answers right here about all that.

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Fair enough. One other thing is to keep your pipes clean. That reduces the tars and other unpleasantness.

Posted 5 years ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

cinosam

Login to Send PM

What benefit is there of using a filter? I have read that most European pipers use them.

Posted 5 years ago #
  35. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum! Below is a link to the Seattle Pipe Club meeting notes from March of 2002 where they had a medical doctor come in and discuss the risk of smoking. The notes are pretty detailed and break down cigarette smoking, cigar smoking, pipe smoking and smokeless tobacco. This should help answer your questions.

http://www.seattlepipeclub.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=969877&module_id=17020

Posted 5 years ago #
  36. pipeherman

pipeherman

Login to Send PM

I won't respond to the question asked, since it is simply frivolous.

Though I have to say it seems as a community, we all had the same thinking pattern when we saw this title and then to spite ourselves clicked on it. I'm sure we could have been mistaken? To then see that we weren't mistaken, the content is of what we expected.

Threads like this make me understand why elected officials say "Have you met the General Public? I have and they're bloody awful".

Also psychiatrists are quacks (half-hearted apologies to any member who might be one) who are infatuated with Sigmund Freud's oedipus complex, thus meaning that everything you think and do is linked to the love of your mother and the general jealousy of your father, which in itself is linked to your mother. Also Freud was a cocaine snorting crack also. So the fact is pipe smoking is one of the few redeeming qualities in which your psychiatrist has (once again half-hearted apologies to any psychiatrist members) and thus not a suitable person to get inspired from.

And, Yes. Pipe Herman is bitterly grumpy this morning!

Edit: It should probably be noted that I hate Sociologists far more.

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't put too much faith in a 1960's surgeon general report, it's like putting good faith in a big oil sponsored report on oil drilling benefits.

http://171.67.24.121/tobacco_web/images/tobacco_ads/doctors_smoking/throat_doctors/large/camels_fresh_blue.jpg

http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/tobacco-ads

I think there are health benefits to nicotine but not to tar, I admit I find pipe smoking less addictive to nicotine then cigarettes, and I inhale my pipe, but I just went about 2 weeks without smoking because of a flu with no problem, whereas cigarette smokers I know will smoke through the worst bronchitis etc.... I would say health benefits is a ridiculous statement from pipe or any form of smoking. I smoke because I make the choice too, I realize it may give me mouth cancer or lung cancer, I also realize I could live a perfectly healthy life an d never smoke and still get mouth or lung cancer. I smoke because I enjoy it.

Posted 5 years ago #
  38. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What benefit is there of using a filter? I have read that most European pipers use them.

Apparantly my medico filters take out the nicotine, but I highly doubt it. Other than that I actually enjoy them, I tried them for a pipe I'd bought that took them and found that they produce a nice dry cool smoke without much though to it or having to really slowly puff. I also found they reduced tongue bite, alot of people bash them but I personally like them. I smoked for about 4 years before ever trying a filter. I'm a fan I must say.

Posted 5 years ago #
  39. jarit

jarit

Login to Send PM

Just a small clarification that wont answer your original question, but since this factoid is often repeated I thought I'd meddle. Most European pipe smokers don't use filters in their pipes -- their use is generally restricted to Germany and Austria only.

Check out any German pipemongers site and you won't find many (if any) pipes without the 9 mm filter option. The opposite is true for other European countries.

Posted 5 years ago #
  40. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Filters really seem to diminish the flavor a lot for me.

Posted 5 years ago #
  41. starcat

starcat

Login to Send PM

The one thing about this type of question is the high " domestication " " programming" and " fear " running under it.
    One key to the animal side of the body nature and its appetites are finding a dynamic balance that exists in truth rather than fancy.
    The USA is one of the greatest mass mind control experiments ever conceived of.
    The fact that we have a generation now showing on internet forums that cannot spell or use proper grammer AT ALL was and is part of the plan to have the populace dumbed down, complacent, compliant, not thinking for themselves and never questioning all outside authority because they have been told such.
    Also the Western Medical system is not really healing or curing people, yet people en masse are still beholden to it as if it were some kind of god.....
    Currently there is a lot of very high level poison at large that many are totally ignorant of. I could offer a list but it will contain some things that people are doing every day that are FAR worse than some simple indulgence with tobacco. People are using and doing these things because they accepted them without question.
    One of the worst is not chemical toxication but something that is not being faced but by very few indeed.
    With that said.
    These times are fully now Orwellian, and again this is not being looked at soberly or in an adult manner on the whole.

all the best

SC

All the best

Posted 5 years ago #
  42. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you're gonna smoke and worry FORGETABOUTIT !!

The Old Cajun
    Posted 5 years ago #
  43. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Starcat

So, we are all becoming 'batteries'? As in 'the matrix'?

Allan
    Posted 5 years ago #
  44. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOL, I love that it is now suggested that we all live with some sort of paranoia or fear by the same person who suggests that "the powers that be" want us dumb and complacent. I'm just picking at you.

Weigh your options. It's a slippery slope. If you are going to be worried and in constant struggles with the concept of addiction and health issues, stop, walk away. However, if you find more pleasure than risk in the hobby, welcome.

To say that there isn't any addiction issues in smoking a pipe is ridiculous. I am here by way of a past cigarette addiction. If I had never picked up a cigarette, I most likely would never have picked up a pipe. However, I feel (for me) that smoking a pipe is far better than inhaling cigarette smoke. But, I am in no illusions about my new addiction to the pipe and the hobby. Some people handle this better than me, but for me, I find pleasure and an enrichment to my life through the choices that I have made, and have no regrets. Whatever choices you make, own it, and own it all. Life is too precious to live with fear and regrets. There's no good in that.

Posted 5 years ago #
  45. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Filters really seem to diminish the flavor a lot for me.

I'll agree with that, as I've only smoked 2 blends with a filter so far, C&D's milk and honey, which is extremely strong so it kind of brings out the flavor for me actually as it tames the strength of it, it's a strong smoke, and El Ricon de la Pipa which is another quite sharp smoke, but I usually smoke it without the filter to be honest, it's only if I'm using this one estate pipe I bought that was unsmoked but I discovered it had a huge hole in the bottom, so I basically got the filters dirt cheap at a tobacco shop going out of business to try as it was a filtered pipe and it solved the problem of ashes coming through this hole. But usually I'm a filterless guy, but they do decrease the tongue bite I notice, you don't have to be so careful with a filter in, and it's quite easy especially when you're starting to puff too hard and then the next day you've got a sore tongue.

Posted 5 years ago #
  46. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

WARNING: MAJOR THREAD OBFUSCATION ALERT

Starcat, whenever I read stuff like what you are saying, it is usually in a forum where almost nobody exhibits the kind of behavior that you decry. What I see in your post is narcissism. The belief that you are the only one who sees the destruction of society, and that you need to inform the blind, brain dead, enslaved sheeple about it.

Just think about this:

December 2013 Talk Radio Audience
    (in millions)
    Rush 14
    Hannity 13.25
    Levin 7.5
    Beck 7.5

Posted 5 years ago #
  47. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Poor guy, came to us to ask a question and has witnessed a total melt down of a community into several different directions, LOL.

@Woodsroad - I've also read that about 150 million Americans believe that there is a scientifically undocumented monster that lives in the woodlands of the US called Bigfoot.

Posted 5 years ago #
  48. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah cosmic lol, I feel it's because of the guy that posted right before him and created a melt-down, I feel he posted a good topic at the wrong time. It really isn't fair to dismiss people concerned about their health, however Brad is right, if your worried, start slow, see if you like it. If you do, figure out a way to stop worrying or quit Worrying about cancer and smoking something proven to be able to give you cancer is really a difficult thing to do. I was in that boat myself until I just quit caring because it just wasn't worth being really worried all the time about such a small risk.

To the OP, please for the love of God, do not be trying to find out the perfect number of times to smoke so that you won't experience the negative side effects, just try it and see how you like it, smoke however much you want, all the side effects are reversible except cancer, which has a really low chance. I think cancer itself is a pretty good chance, just that pipe smoking doesn't affect it much. I'm more afraid of getting it and then being denied coverage for an infrequent hobby. Hopefully the healthcare laws will not become that extreme in my lifetime, I'm willing to take the risk. Trying to figure out the exact number and just smoking that much will really destroy the hobby for, been there, done that myself. I'm limited myself by how many bowls I can smoke before my tongue hurts, I only smoke when my mouth/tongue feel 100%. This means usually around 3 bowls a week, sometimes 5 if I really am careful.

Posted 5 years ago #
  49. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Poor guy, came to us to ask a question and has witnessed a total melt down of a community into several different directions, LOL.

Yeah cosmic lol, I feel it's because of the guy that posted right before him and created a melt-down, I feel he posted a good topic at the wrong time. It really isn't fair to dismiss people concerned about their health, however Brad is right, if your worried, start slow, see if you like it.

+1 Eric.

I do not blame younger, newer smokers for being cautious and concerned. IMHO, they are smart to gather all of the facts and opinions they can - then decide for themselves.

Pipe smoking, like virtually anything in this world, offers both benefits and risks. IMHO, the benefits outweigh the risks.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 5 years ago #
  50. namuna

namuna

Login to Send PM

For me, who pipes currently only once or twice a week (due to the extreme cold we're having right now) and about once a day in better weather, I see it this way:

-- The positives gained from the relaxing, peaceful, stress lowering few minutes while piping...OUTWEIGH the harmful effects of said piping (and even more so due to the non-inhaling nature of piping and if you also use a filter with your pipe).

Unfortunately Pipe Smoking is one of those things there's just not any concrete scientific proof or study of...So if you're doing more stressing/worrying about the potential harm vs. just enjoying it, you're probably better off NOT doing it.

Posted 5 years ago #
  51. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@cinosam I gaurantee you won't die from pipe smoking. Smoke as much as you want.

***if you take this for fact from random guy on the internet, I feel ya bro.

Posted 5 years ago #
  52. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I believe that if you do not have a passion to smoke a pipe, why do it? It is insane to start something that is going to cause you stress and angst as this is doing. Just find a hobby that is safe and does not affect your health. Take up chess or bridge or kite flying, plenty of safe hobbies out there.

Harris
    Posted 5 years ago #
  53. yazamitaz

yazamitaz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris,

I play competitive chess weekly and let me tell you, that is NOT a safe hobby. I have seen people fracture bones in the Outer Banks in NC flying kites, and my grandparents would slit your throat in a heated game of bridge or pinochle.

I do though have to agree that the OP should not start something that has, at least in my mind, very little inherent risk but is causing him so much angst. If he were jumping out of a plane for the first time I would understand the stress, but this is a RELAXING hobby that really isn't supposed to cause a high level of excitement unless you are waiting for your delivery of PAD/TAD of course.

I do hope the OP can move forward with a clear and stress-free conscience.

Posted 5 years ago #
  54. User has not uploaded an avatar

cinosam

Login to Send PM

It is insane to start something that is going to cause you stress and angst as this is doing.

Everything in life causes me stress and angst...to hell with it, I'm gonna keep smoking the pipe.

Thanks everyone.

Posted 5 years ago #
  55. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome brother, looks like our work is complete

Posted 5 years ago #
  56. lostandfound

lostandfound

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If that's the case, then you NEED to smoke your pipe. Smoke it as often as possible! This should dramatically improve your quality of life my man. I hereby prescribe you as many pipefuls of tobacco leaf as necessary to relieve said stress.

Posted 5 years ago #
  57. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

entertaining none the less.

Jason
    Posted 5 years ago #
  58. easterntraveler

easterntraveler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you are that worried about health issues I would stop. You either accept that fact that with smoking tobacco their will always be some sort of health risk big or small or stop and not have to worry about it.

Because straight is the gate and narrow is the way which leadeth unto life and few be there that find it.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  59. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah. ... Came a bit late to this but . . . Where did we land on oral sex? Is the problem giving or receiving? Or perhaps the danger is giving while smoking a pipe?

Did I mention my concern over leprosy?

Posted 5 years ago #
  60. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is insane to start something that is going to cause you stress and angst as this is doing.
    Should have NOT gone out with my FIRST 2 Wives is what your sayin ...

"the weez"...
    Posted 5 years ago #
  61. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peck does this mean you aren't concerned as much with Canine afflictions?

Posted 5 years ago #
  62. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

+1 on Starcats post.

I grew up in a family of six kids, rode in the back window of the 65 Belair no seat-belts, mom and dad smoked like chimneys, and drank booze while driving us on icy roads like a bat out of hell in the Rockies and Switzerland (that was in a Mercedes). My dads military buddies had hand grenades on their Christmas trees, and as a young teen, most of my diet consisted of what was on the bar in Texas Ice-houses, pickled eggs and Slim Jims while watching fights take place... I came close to death more than once. I didn't raise my kids that way but it prepared me for a lot of other stuff that came down the pike.

Then I read that Simon Cowell is getting vitamin enriched colonic irrigation's weekly because of a fear of ill health...give me a break.

Pipe smoking isn't even a fart in the cyclone of danger one can experience in life's journey.

Posted 5 years ago #
  63. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

trailboss: I read and reread starcat. Best I can tell is that he didn't say anything. I know who Simon Cowell but I don't understand why anyone would have an interest in his health habits.

Posted 5 years ago #
  64. carcosa

carcosa

Login to Send PM

I suggest taking at least 3 to 5 thousand milligrams of Vitamin C every day, and that should help counteract any bad health effects from smoking.

Posted 5 years ago #
  65. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

trailboss: I read and reread starcat. Best I can tell is that he didn't say anything. I know who Simon Cowell but I don't understand why anyone would have an interest in his health habits.

I get the fact that the times we live in are Orwellian, and that a fair amount of our society has been effectively been programmed by the government education camps into fretting about perceived dangers to their mortality, while ignorantly embracing doctrines that pose much more of a danger to them on so many levels.

Posted 5 years ago #
  66. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

After pondering these weighty sociological discussions I have come to accept an undeniable truth:

Ewoks are excellent when served over rice.

Posted 5 years ago #
  67. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peck Posited:

Did I mention my concern over leprosy?

No, you didn't. Please, do tell!

Posted 5 years ago #
  68. scrapyardape

scrapyardape

Login to Send PM

Lessee.... we have "pipe smoking", "oral sex", "leprosy", and "Orwellian society" all milling about in the same thread.

*runs screaming from the building*

Posted 5 years ago #
  69. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We still need inbreeding, wife-swapping, herpes and domesticated animal abuse if we stand any chance of getting on the Jerry Springer show.

Posted 5 years ago #
  70. scrapyardape

scrapyardape

Login to Send PM

We still need inbreeding, wife-swapping, herpes and domesticated animal abuse if we stand any chance of getting on the Jerry Springer show.

I guess it's good to have "goals".

Posted 5 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ssjones, mikethompson, jfred, chasingembers