PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
The one thing about this type of question is the high " domestication " " programming" and " fear " running under it.

One key to the animal side of the body nature and its appetites are finding a dynamic balance that exists in truth rather than fancy.

The USA is one of the greatest mass mind control experiments ever conceived of.

The fact that we have a generation now showing on internet forums that cannot spell or use proper grammer AT ALL was and is part of the plan to have the populace dumbed down, complacent, compliant, not thinking for themselves and never questioning all outside authority because they have been told such.

Also the Western Medical system is not really healing or curing people, yet people en masse are still beholden to it as if it were some kind of god.....

Currently there is a lot of very high level poison at large that many are totally ignorant of. I could offer a list but it will contain some things that people are doing every day that are FAR worse than some simple indulgence with tobacco. People are using and doing these things because they accepted them without question.

One of the worst is not chemical toxication but something that is not being faced but by very few indeed.

With that said.

These times are fully now Orwellian, and again this is not being looked at soberly or in an adult manner on the whole.
all the best
SC
All the best

LOL, I love that it is now suggested that we all live with some sort of paranoia or fear by the same person who suggests that "the powers that be" want us dumb and complacent. :wink: I'm just picking at you.
Weigh your options. It's a slippery slope. If you are going to be worried and in constant struggles with the concept of addiction and health issues, stop, walk away. However, if you find more pleasure than risk in the hobby, welcome.
To say that there isn't any addiction issues in smoking a pipe is ridiculous. I am here by way of a past cigarette addiction. If I had never picked up a cigarette, I most likely would never have picked up a pipe. However, I feel (for me) that smoking a pipe is far better than inhaling cigarette smoke. But, I am in no illusions about my new addiction to the pipe and the hobby. Some people handle this better than me, but for me, I find pleasure and an enrichment to my life through the choices that I have made, and have no regrets. Whatever choices you make, own it, and own it all. Life is too precious to live with fear and regrets. There's no good in that.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Filters really seem to diminish the flavor a lot for me.
I'll agree with that, as I've only smoked 2 blends with a filter so far, C&D's milk and honey, which is extremely strong so it kind of brings out the flavor for me actually as it tames the strength of it, it's a strong smoke, and El Ricon de la Pipa which is another quite sharp smoke, but I usually smoke it without the filter to be honest, it's only if I'm using this one estate pipe I bought that was unsmoked but I discovered it had a huge hole in the bottom, so I basically got the filters dirt cheap at a tobacco shop going out of business to try as it was a filtered pipe and it solved the problem of ashes coming through this hole. But usually I'm a filterless guy, but they do decrease the tongue bite I notice, you don't have to be so careful with a filter in, and it's quite easy especially when you're starting to puff too hard and then the next day you've got a sore tongue.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
WARNING: MAJOR THREAD OBFUSCATION ALERT
Starcat, whenever I read stuff like what you are saying, it is usually in a forum where almost nobody exhibits the kind of behavior that you decry. What I see in your post is narcissism. The belief that you are the only one who sees the destruction of society, and that you need to inform the blind, brain dead, enslaved sheeple about it.
Just think about this:
December 2013 Talk Radio Audience

(in millions)

Rush 14

Hannity 13.25

Levin 7.5

Beck 7.5

Poor guy, came to us to ask a question and has witnessed a total melt down of a community into several different directions, LOL.
@Woodsroad - I've also read that about 150 million Americans believe that there is a scientifically undocumented monster that lives in the woodlands of the US called Bigfoot.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Yeah cosmic lol, I feel it's because of the guy that posted right before him and created a melt-down, I feel he posted a good topic at the wrong time. It really isn't fair to dismiss people concerned about their health, however Brad is right, if your worried, start slow, see if you like it. If you do, figure out a way to stop worrying or quit :) Worrying about cancer and smoking something proven to be able to give you cancer is really a difficult thing to do. I was in that boat myself until I just quit caring because it just wasn't worth being really worried all the time about such a small risk.
To the OP, please for the love of God, do not be trying to find out the perfect number of times to smoke so that you won't experience the negative side effects, just try it and see how you like it, smoke however much you want, all the side effects are reversible except cancer, which has a really low chance. I think cancer itself is a pretty good chance, just that pipe smoking doesn't affect it much. I'm more afraid of getting it and then being denied coverage for an infrequent hobby. Hopefully the healthcare laws will not become that extreme in my lifetime, I'm willing to take the risk. Trying to figure out the exact number and just smoking that much will really destroy the hobby for, been there, done that myself. I'm limited myself by how many bowls I can smoke before my tongue hurts, I only smoke when my mouth/tongue feel 100%. This means usually around 3 bowls a week, sometimes 5 if I really am careful.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Poor guy, came to us to ask a question and has witnessed a total melt down of a community into several different directions, LOL.
:rofl:
Yeah cosmic lol, I feel it's because of the guy that posted right before him and created a melt-down, I feel he posted a good topic at the wrong time. It really isn't fair to dismiss people concerned about their health, however Brad is right, if your worried, start slow, see if you like it.
+1 Eric.
I do not blame younger, newer smokers for being cautious and concerned. IMHO, they are smart to gather all of the facts and opinions they can - then decide for themselves.
Pipe smoking, like virtually anything in this world, offers both benefits and risks. IMHO, the benefits outweigh the risks.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
For me, who pipes currently only once or twice a week (due to the extreme cold we're having right now) and about once a day in better weather, I see it this way:
-- The positives gained from the relaxing, peaceful, stress lowering few minutes while piping...OUTWEIGH the harmful effects of said piping (and even more so due to the non-inhaling nature of piping and if you also use a filter with your pipe).
Unfortunately Pipe Smoking is one of those things there's just not any concrete scientific proof or study of...So if you're doing more stressing/worrying about the potential harm vs. just enjoying it, you're probably better off NOT doing it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I believe that if you do not have a passion to smoke a pipe, why do it? It is insane to start something that is going to cause you stress and angst as this is doing. Just find a hobby that is safe and does not affect your health. Take up chess or bridge or kite flying, plenty of safe hobbies out there.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Harris,
I play competitive chess weekly and let me tell you, that is NOT a safe hobby. I have seen people fracture bones in the Outer Banks in NC flying kites, and my grandparents would slit your throat in a heated game of bridge or pinochle.
I do though have to agree that the OP should not start something that has, at least in my mind, very little inherent risk but is causing him so much angst. If he were jumping out of a plane for the first time I would understand the stress, but this is a RELAXING hobby that really isn't supposed to cause a high level of excitement unless you are waiting for your delivery of PAD/TAD of course.
I do hope the OP can move forward with a clear and stress-free conscience.

cinosam

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
It is insane to start something that is going to cause you stress and angst as this is doing.
Everything in life causes me stress and angst...to hell with it, I'm gonna keep smoking the pipe.
Thanks everyone.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
If that's the case, then you NEED to smoke your pipe. Smoke it as often as possible! This should dramatically improve your quality of life my man. I hereby prescribe you as many pipefuls of tobacco leaf as necessary to relieve said stress.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
If you are that worried about health issues I would stop. You either accept that fact that with smoking tobacco their will always be some sort of health risk big or small or stop and not have to worry about it.

Dec 24, 2012
Ah. ... Came a bit late to this but . . . Where did we land on oral sex? Is the problem giving or receiving? Or perhaps the danger is giving while smoking a pipe?
Did I mention my concern over leprosy?

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
It is insane to start something that is going to cause you stress and angst as this is doing.
Should have NOT gone out with my FIRST 2 Wives is what your sayin :rofl: ...

Status
Not open for further replies.