PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
When it boils down to it, I decided I love pipe smoking too much to simply be afraid of cancer all the time, at first I was scared, but after a while it faded and I have no fear left anymore. The fear is natural, but men have this amazing ability to block it out and move on :) I hope you stick with us and master your fear, the risks are minimal, honestly I won't give up sex and I find that far more dangerous.

cinosam

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
Thank you everyone for the responses. I appreciate it. I'm not trying to be a prick, I swear.
It isn't so much that I'm in fear for my life, or of cancer (no family members I know of have had cancer except my grandpa who had prostate cancer at 75 and recovered quickly.) And pipe tobacco is free from the chemical crap found in cigs so I know it's better on that count. But there are other things to consider. Such as:
Canker sores

Taste buds becoming dull

Teeth decay/plaque

Sore gums or tongue
I guess what I want to know is, at the rate I smoke (a few bowls a week), could these potentially be issues, and might drinking water and rinsing my mouth with tea trea oil go some ways in staving them off?

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
What exactly is the driving factor behind hypochondrainism? Is it actually a medical diagnosis, with no cure, or just a mental thing, like a fear of spiders, that can be overcome?
I just read your above post and I have to say: "Dude, we accept you as you are, but chill out... For real. Even if you get a canker sore... Damn, so what?"

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I suspect that the answer to your question is totally dependent on your ownphysiology. My suggestion is that, if the answer is so important to you, you find out what your genetic deficiencies are. Such an exam of your DNA will provide you some insight as to your susceptibilities to various illnesses.
Also, pipe tobacco when burned will emit the same carcinogens as most any burned material, including logs and smokers (Beware the bar-be-ques). There are some additional chemicals in cigarette papers, especially those designed to burn and not go out when sitting in an ash tray so as to sell more product ("Natural" cigarettes usually do not have this and there for die out when not being smoked). But, it's the ignition and combustion that causes most of the chemicals, read: poisons,that are recited in that stupid ad you see so often on TV.
Most any Oncologist will tell you that it is the burning of the tobacco that makes it the most hazardous. Chews and snuffs present a different set of circumstances.

The tea tree oil will deaden your taste buds. It dulls the nerve ending to decrease pain.
also, I don't recommend smoking a pipe while roller skating, jumping on a trampoline, or when covered in gasoline. But, I'm sure that there are other deadly things that you shouldn't subject the hobby too.
Welcome to the forum, ha ha...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Aside from the physical aspects of smoking for you, there is also the question of your admitted hypochondria. If smoking is going to cause you to worry or to perseverate about possible effects, why engage in it? There are plenty of other pleasures to be experienced in life.

cinosam

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
It would be something else if it wasn't the smoking. And it comes and goes. I can deal with it. I just figure, the more knowledge of something's effects on the body, the better...the better I can decide when, how, and if to do it. There have been plenty of good answers right here about all that.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Welcome to the forum! Below is a link to the Seattle Pipe Club meeting notes from March of 2002 where they had a medical doctor come in and discuss the risk of smoking. The notes are pretty detailed and break down cigarette smoking, cigar smoking, pipe smoking and smokeless tobacco. This should help answer your questions.
http://www.seattlepipeclub.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=969877&module_id=17020

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
I won't respond to the question asked, since it is simply frivolous.
Though I have to say it seems as a community, we all had the same thinking pattern when we saw this title and then to spite ourselves clicked on it. I'm sure we could have been mistaken? To then see that we weren't mistaken, the content is of what we expected.
Threads like this make me understand why elected officials say "Have you met the General Public? I have and they're bloody awful".
Also psychiatrists are quacks (half-hearted apologies to any member who might be one) who are infatuated with Sigmund Freud's oedipus complex, thus meaning that everything you think and do is linked to the love of your mother and the general jealousy of your father, which in itself is linked to your mother. Also Freud was a cocaine snorting crack also. So the fact is pipe smoking is one of the few redeeming qualities in which your psychiatrist has (once again half-hearted apologies to any psychiatrist members) and thus not a suitable person to get inspired from.
And, Yes. Pipe Herman is bitterly grumpy this morning! :evil:
Edit: It should probably be noted that I hate Sociologists far more. :puffy:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I wouldn't put too much faith in a 1960's surgeon general report, it's like putting good faith in a big oil sponsored report on oil drilling benefits.
smoking_01.jpg

http://171.67.24.121/tobacco_web/images/tobacco_ads/doctors_smoking/throat_doctors/large/camels_fresh_blue.jpg
smoking-ads07.jpg

l-2wew2xl5vz887z.jpg

http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/tobacco-ads
I think there are health benefits to nicotine but not to tar, I admit I find pipe smoking less addictive to nicotine then cigarettes, and I inhale my pipe, but I just went about 2 weeks without smoking because of a flu with no problem, whereas cigarette smokers I know will smoke through the worst bronchitis etc.... I would say health benefits is a ridiculous statement from pipe or any form of smoking. I smoke because I make the choice too, I realize it may give me mouth cancer or lung cancer, I also realize I could live a perfectly healthy life an d never smoke and still get mouth or lung cancer. I smoke because I enjoy it.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
What benefit is there of using a filter? I have read that most European pipers use them.
MedicoPipeFilters430x480.jpg

Apparantly my medico filters take out the nicotine, but I highly doubt it. Other than that I actually enjoy them, I tried them for a pipe I'd bought that took them and found that they produce a nice dry cool smoke without much though to it or having to really slowly puff. I also found they reduced tongue bite, alot of people bash them but I personally like them. I smoked for about 4 years before ever trying a filter. I'm a fan I must say.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
What benefit is there of using a filter? I have read that most European pipers use them.
Just a small clarification that wont answer your original question, but since this factoid is often repeated I thought I'd meddle. Most European pipe smokers don't use filters in their pipes -- their use is generally restricted to Germany and Austria only.
Check out any German pipemongers site and you won't find many (if any) pipes without the 9 mm filter option. The opposite is true for other European countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.