Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Poll: Choice of two pipes. Which would you buy and why?

(30 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by liquidedna
  • Latest reply from Spencer
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

liquidedna

Login to Send PM

Hey guys and gals.
    Help me pick between these two pipes.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/neerup/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=186098

And

http://www.tobaccopipes.com/vauen-giant-g-138-tobacco-pipe/

The difference in price can ignored as I can get the Vauen for nearly the same as the Neerup.
    I'm really interested in your opinions!

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tend to more traditional shapes/finishes, so the Vauen for me. Also, not keen on the color of the Neerup stem. I do like this one, which is pictured on the same page
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/winslow/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=164991

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. erichbaumer

erichbaumer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My vote would be for the Vauen, but that is purely out of personal taste, and there are plenty here who know more about high end pipes than I do. It's a gorgeous pipe. I guess one objective point in its favor is a significant weight difference, though that only really matters if you clench.

"I don't want any of your statistics; I took your whole batch and lit my pipe with it." -Mark Twain
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. tarheel1

tarheel1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Between those two it would be the Vauen. I don't really care for either but truly dislike plateau top. I prefer traditional English and a few Italian pipes.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. 7ach

7ach

Login to Send PM

Both are too big for me, but if i'm getting a big pipe I like the danish style of the Neerup more.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd go for the Neerup. I like Peders style, and the pipes seem to be good smokers from the handful I used to own.

-Ryan Alden
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I echo what lonestar said. I think Neerup makes a top quality pipe. That said, my taste would lean in the direction of a different Neerup, but taste is individual.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I too like the more traditional shapes so I'd be all over that Vauen.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm with Peck and lonestar. Playing the odds, one of Peter's handmades will have the better wood, closer attention to detail, fit, finish and smoking qualities. I usually (but not always), will take the hand made over the machine made every time.

Pipestud
    Posted 3 years ago #
  10. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Having neither of the 2 Brands I choose the Neerup because I think it will hang better, but I"ve heard good about the 2 makers.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 3 years ago #
  11. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it were just between the two...

I'd go for the Neerup. It will hang better. It will age better. It's more unique.

If I am going to buy a Vauen, I think I'd want a more over the top modern pipe... I like German Pipes for the really modern lookers.

Now, I am in a similar situation... but instead of Neerups and Vauens... I am contemplating Buckeyes and Lucianos.

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

liquidedna

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone. Good points made all around. Keep those opinions rolling!

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you need someones opinion on why to buy a pipe you shouldn't buy it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. rogers

rogers

Login to Send PM

Vauen makes a good pipe, and that Vauen is quite handsome. Neerup is also a good pipe and that stem is so got dang purdy. The wide concave rim on that Vauen may be easily scorched when lighting the tobacco, but is is a handsome pipe. Then again, the stem on that Neerup is so got dang purdy!

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They are both rather heavy for my taste. I find the Vauen a little too conservative in design. I like traditional shapes and finishes on pipes. Most of mine are not way out. But the Vauen just looks too staid, too contained and a total echo of some past, better realized pipe. My taste here. Though it is pretty heavy, I like the Neerup better. It's just more free and expressive, a good Danish freehand, a better version of what it is than the Vauen. But this is your pipe, so go with what speaks to you. The colored stem is fine, livens it up nicely to my eyes, and nice touch on the stem shaping.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

the Vauen just looks too staid, too contained and a total echo of some past, better realized pipe.

Thats what I wanted to verbalize, but couldnt quite say it. I absolutely love classics, but they should be strict classics, a new take on a classic, or something entirely different than classic. The Vauen feels a bit uninspired, not terrible, but not as good as a strict classic, not anything uniquely "better" than a classic, and not something completely different than a classic. The Neerup is not classic, but it is distinctly not classic, instead of a vague sort of uninspired shape.
    Or more succintly, an echo of some past, better realized pipe.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. gloucesterman

gloucesterman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lonestar has it right. The Vauen is uninspired. There is little about it that commands your attention.

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a huge fan of Vauen, but I'd take the Neerup between these two.

And you can get Vauen pipes for a lot less shopping in Euros.

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. fmgee

fmgee

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would take the Neerup in a flash but I don't have a Vauen and I do have two Neerup. I like a stem with a little something different so Neerup easily catches my eye. The two I have are from his lower end and I could not be happier with how they look, feel and smoke.

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would also vote Neerup. They make quality pipes and that pipe is nice looking.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  21. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Neerup without question and by a mile! It's classier, has less polish on the bowl so it'll burn cooler, the grain is better, and it looks like it'd be more fun to smoke, too.

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. perlasca

perlasca

Login to Send PM

If I had to choose, I'd pick the Vauen.

I'm with Jackswilling in saying I prefer traditional shapes, though I have one Freehand shape but,
    it's a smaller sized Boswell. Which makes me agree with 7ach about both being too big.

That's because at the moment I'm into smaller pipes, my last three pipes have been
    5" or less.

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Why do people always ask other people help them choose a pipe? I never asked anyone to help me choose a pipe.

You, young Jedi, must choose the one you like most. Search your feelings!

A pipe always is a personal choice, not a collective or group choice.

Only then will the Force be strong within you.

If you can't decide because you like both, then, by all means, get both.

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Vauen for me as well. Like the classical shapes FAR more than the freehands and variants.

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 3 years ago #
  25. nhpro

nhpro

Login to Send PM

Neither is appealing to me, but my preference would lean more towards the Vauen because it's more traditional and a good sitter.

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Definitely the Neerup. I would take unfiltered over 9mm filter any day, even with an adapter. Also, I prefer the looks of the Neerup; the Vauen looks like a spittoon on a stick to me.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

liquidedna

Login to Send PM

@guyrox

For me, other people, especially those with much experience, can see and consider attributes that I cannot. I value other people's opinions because they help me to clarify my own even if I don't hold theirs myself. In the end, I will make my OWN decision. But having heard from people who have seen and smoked probably over a thousand pipes, I know I'll make a better informed one.

Btw, you never answered the question of which you would choose and why. Getting both was not an option :p

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. ithelouniverse

ithelouniverse

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Vauen. Very attractive pipe!

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. carbonmated

carbonmated

Login to Send PM

Neither for me, keep shopping

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. brudnod

Spencer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 5 Jeppesen pipes and they all smoke great and are quite lovingly made. Vauen is, in my opinion a mediocre pipe although the one you picture is pleasant enough to look at.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   weezell, craig61a, milehighpiper, cshubhra, georged, trouttimes, pepesdad1, acidpox, ssjones, sasquatch, chasingembers, olkofri