Poll: Choice of two pipes. Which would you buy and why?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidedna

Lurker
Dec 21, 2015
Hey guys and gals.

Help me pick between these two pipes.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/neerup/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=186098
And
http://www.tobaccopipes.com/vauen-giant-g-138-tobacco-pipe/
The difference in price can ignored as I can get the Vauen for nearly the same as the Neerup.

I'm really interested in your opinions!

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I tend to more traditional shapes/finishes, so the Vauen for me. Also, not keen on the color of the Neerup stem. I do like this one, which is pictured on the same page

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/winslow/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=164991

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
My vote would be for the Vauen, but that is purely out of personal taste, and there are plenty here who know more about high end pipes than I do. It's a gorgeous pipe. I guess one objective point in its favor is a significant weight difference, though that only really matters if you clench.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Between those two it would be the Vauen. I don't really care for either but truly dislike plateau top. I prefer traditional English and a few Italian pipes.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
Both are too big for me, but if i'm getting a big pipe I like the danish style of the Neerup more.

Dec 24, 2012
I echo what lonestar said. I think Neerup makes a top quality pipe. That said, my taste would lean in the direction of a different Neerup, but taste is individual.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I too like the more traditional shapes so I'd be all over that Vauen. :puffy:

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I'm with Peck and lonestar. Playing the odds, one of Peter's handmades will have the better wood, closer attention to detail, fit, finish and smoking qualities. I usually (but not always), will take the hand made over the machine made every time.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
If it were just between the two...
I'd go for the Neerup. It will hang better. It will age better. It's more unique.
If I am going to buy a Vauen, I think I'd want a more over the top modern pipe... I like German Pipes for the really modern lookers.
Now, I am in a similar situation... but instead of Neerups and Vauens... I am contemplating Buckeyes and Lucianos.

rogers

Mar 9, 2012
Vauen makes a good pipe, and that Vauen is quite handsome. Neerup is also a good pipe and that stem is so got dang purdy. The wide concave rim on that Vauen may be easily scorched when lighting the tobacco, but is is a handsome pipe. Then again, the stem on that Neerup is so got dang purdy!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
They are both rather heavy for my taste. I find the Vauen a little too conservative in design. I like traditional shapes and finishes on pipes. Most of mine are not way out. But the Vauen just looks too staid, too contained and a total echo of some past, better realized pipe. My taste here. Though it is pretty heavy, I like the Neerup better. It's just more free and expressive, a good Danish freehand, a better version of what it is than the Vauen. But this is your pipe, so go with what speaks to you. The colored stem is fine, livens it up nicely to my eyes, and nice touch on the stem shaping.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
the Vauen just looks too staid, too contained and a total echo of some past, better realized pipe.
Thats what I wanted to verbalize, but couldnt quite say it. I absolutely love classics, but they should be strict classics, a new take on a classic, or something entirely different than classic. The Vauen feels a bit uninspired, not terrible, but not as good as a strict classic, not anything uniquely "better" than a classic, and not something completely different than a classic. The Neerup is not classic, but it is distinctly not classic, instead of a vague sort of uninspired shape.

Or more succintly, an echo of some past, better realized pipe.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
I would take the Neerup in a flash but I don't have a Vauen and I do have two Neerup. I like a stem with a little something different so Neerup easily catches my eye. The two I have are from his lower end and I could not be happier with how they look, feel and smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.