Pipe Smoking on TV

(46 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by numbersix
  • Latest reply from midwestpipesmoker70
  1. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I get a kick out of seeing pipe smokers on TV. One of my favorite shows is The Odd Couple and I just watched an episode that starred John Astin (of Adams Family fame) as "Buf", the head of Harem Magazine (ala Playboy), a mag that Oscar worked at for an episode...

There's a great scene when "Buf" knocks the pipe out of his mouth when he answers the phone and asks in a paranoid voice "did anyone laugh?" Once assured no one laughed, he then laughs at himself. Funny scene.

I like the white pipe - very 70s. It also has a white dot, but I've never seen a white painted Dunhill - did they exist?

"Be seeing you"

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

They probably painted the pipe "prop" white because some idiot's "artistic discretion" just convinced him it would look better. IIRC, the late John Astin did smoke cigars, so he may have smoked a pipe as well. I didn't look this up, but Dunhil may have made meerschaums too, at some point.

Oh, and Six, check this "custom" Meer, in a Bing's Favorite shape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0qLkXB0gSM

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Roth, that was a great video. I like meers a lot, but prefer them in classic style. That particular Bing's favorite he's holding is gorgeous. I wouldn't mind owning one of those.

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

5. withnail

withnail

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You used to see pipes on TV all the time when I was a youngster. The Prime Minister smoked a pipe, most "experts" on discussion shows had a pipe in their hand. During the Apollo 13 drama, there was constant coverage on TV and by the time the astronauts returned safely, the studio looked like a smoke machine had been left running.

Apart from "Period Drama" I've not seen a pipe on TV in years.

Albert Einstein said "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs"
    Posted 6 years ago #
  6. jbbaldwin

jbbaldwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You don't necessarily see them in period dramas, either. In the soap opera Downton Abbey, the bad people smoke cigarettes and the titled men smoke cigars - no pipes.

My wife and I have watched a lot of historical re-creations likeVictorian Farm, Edwardian Farm, etc., and the level of detail is amazing, except for the complete lack of mention of pipe-smoking (or any other tobacco use).

- Write if you get work.

- Hang by your thumbs.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oddly enough, Professor Utonium on the Cartoon Network show "Power Puff Girls" was a pipe smoker...

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 6 years ago #
  8. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice videos MisterLC - thanks for posting those.

In the soap opera Downton Abbey, the bad people smoke cigarettes and the titled men smoke cigars - no pipes.

That's too bad. My wife has been trying to get me to watch it, I thought, well, maybe if there's pipe smoking...

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. withnail

withnail

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Downton Abbey is actually rather good. I'm not usually a huge fan of that sort of think, but really enjoyed this one. Starting on the eve of the sinking of the Titanic, it shows the beginning of the end for the grand country houses.

Posted 6 years ago #
  10. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good stuff here. Keep it coming!

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

John Astin is still alive, no?

Matt.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  12. appointed

appointed

Login to Send PM

There are, surprisingly, some cartoons that portray characters with pipes. My avatar picture being of one such cartoon. Regular Show is what it is called and it comes on Cartoon Network.

Posted 6 years ago #
  13. durham270

Durham

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jbbaldwin & withnail I'm glad you mentioned Downton Abbey. It is a great period drama 'soap opera' style. My wife and I have been watching this show since it first came out. Really one of the best shows on television these days.

'So put that in your pipe and smoke it' - Dowager Countess Violet Grantham

Maggie Moments

"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs." -Albert Einstein
    Posted 6 years ago #
  14. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On early episodes of Night Court, and in the opening credits, Dan Fielding was smoking a pipe...

Posted 6 years ago #
  15. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never got in to Downton Abbey and now that it's so popular I probably won't ever watch the show.

Canada's detective show Murdoch Mysteries does feature occassional pipe smoking as it's set in Toronto during the late 1800s. There's even an episode where a man who thinks he's Holmes is sitting in the interrogation room puffing away on a Calabash.

You really don't see much pipe smoking in any modern set shows these days. The closest I can think of would be McGhee of NCIS having a pipe as a muse for when he writes but he doesn't smoke it.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 6 years ago #
  16. reichenbach

reichenbach

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That Condor commercial is great. I laughed out loud.

The last new tv show I saw with pipe smoking was Mad Men in Seasons 1 and 2 (maybe 3?) with the copy writer Paul Kinsey (played by real life pipe smoker Michael Gladdis). There is content available on this website where Kevin interviews him. Apologies for spelling errors in either the character's or the pipe smoker's name.

Posted 6 years ago #
  17. cynyr

cynyr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

John Astin is still around at 82. Dang, I loved him as Gomez Addams.

Posted 6 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

When I was a kid, a TV program starring Fred MacMurray ran from 1960-1972 named 'My Three Sons'. He smoked a pipe in the series.

Posted 6 years ago #
  19. hunter185

hunter185

Login to Send PM

Posted 6 years ago #
  20. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've seen a bit of pipe smoking on Ripper Street on BBC America, but not enough to be historically accurate IMO.

Posted 6 years ago #
  21. hunter185

hunter185

Login to Send PM

OK...going to try this again. Had audio sync issues. This is from the Adventures of Brisco Country Jr., a series I believe was on during the early 90's. The reason I got a Pete 312 (not sure if the one in the video is...could be a Wellington?)
    Brisco

Posted 6 years ago #
  22. ericthered

ericthered

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

*NECRO POST ALERT!*

I thought I would revive this old post rather than create a new one. I have a 2 year old daughter, so a large amount of the television viewing in my house right now is children's programming. Winnie the Pooh is a favorite, so the other day I turned on the original Winnie the Pooh cartoons on Netflix. I happened to notice something that I hadn't before- Rabbit is a pipe smoker! Or, at the very least, a pipe owner, since you never actually see him smoke it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After watching the last episode of Downton Abbey, I mentioned to my wife that in the whole series, I never saw someone smoking a pipe. Could be I missed it, but then I never saw any character smoking anything in the house, just outside or in another location. Could be restrictions of the shooting location, pretty expensive and historical home, don't want the drapes and rugs smelling of smoke...

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 3 years ago #
  24. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After watching the last episode of Downton Abbey, I mentioned to my wife that in the whole series, I never saw someone smoking a pipe. Could be I missed it, but then I never saw any character smoking anything in the house, just outside or in another location. Could be restrictions of the shooting location, pretty expensive and historical home, don't want the drapes and rugs smelling of smoke

I never saw anyone smoking a pipe in that show either. It struck me as a little strange as I did, however, see many cigars and cigarettes smoked and smoked in the house. As for the location. I have been there but before Downton Abbey fame. The place is actually called Highclere Castle. Perhaps some know that already, I have no idea. I was installing light and sound equipment for an event. As you enter the building you emerge into a part of the house that I think is called The Saloon. You see it often on the show as the place with the rather fancy staircase. It has what looks like wallpaper from a distance but as you get closer you realise it is actually some hand carved leather wall covering. I think it was from Spain and is clearly bloody old. The building is truly exquisite and even more impressive in reality I can assure you.

While I was working there I was standing out the front of the house next to some sort of butler smoking a cigarette and talking to another member of my crew. A Mercedes appears on the drive and is driving down the gravel towards us and is travelling at quite a speed. As it passes I comment to my friend something along the lines of "Blimey! She wants to slow down a little". The butler looks down his nose at me and pipes up with "Ahem! That was Lady Carnarvon Sir". This gave me and my mate something of a giggle.

The 5th Earl of the place was something of an Egyptologist and was with Howard Carter when the tomb of Tutankhamun was discovered. Consequently, the castle became home to many ancient Egyptian artefacts.

I have been lucky enough to have visited many of these old houses all over the country for the same reason and they all have their unique charm. I still can't imagine what it is like to live in one, though, I wouldn't mind trying.

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Andy Griffith Show had a lot of pipe smokers. Also "Leave It To Beaver" had a show where Beaver and his friend tried smoking coffee grounds in his father's meerschaum pipe. I never saw Ward Cleaver smoking a pipe in the shows. I don't think he did because it was mentioned in the meerschaum pipe show that Ward Cleaver received the pipe from Lumpy's father.

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For Downton Abbey fans:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112130/
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1366312/

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

jtv577

Login to Send PM

A great Scottish show “Still Game” has many pipe smokers. One of the lead roles is a pipe smoker.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

misterlowercase
    misterlowercase

Is misterlowercase a member once again? can he post now?

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I want to know what happened to Withnail. Probably the only other member who watched that movie. Heh.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I want to know what happened to Withnail. Probably the only other member who watched that movie. Heh.

Nope, & I.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

There is plenty of pipe-smoking in the BBC series "Peaky Blinders". It's a 1920s English gangster show if you're not familiar with it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. groovediggerdan

groovediggerdan

Login to Send PM

The new show "The Alienist" (which is great, BTW) has the Irish police chief chuggin' away on a clay pipe in just about every scene he's in.

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. edwinbaz

edwinbaz

Login to Send PM

In Narcos, Pablo Escobar's lawyer smokes a pipe, and it's not just a one off scene. He is shown throughout the series smoking different pipes. The minister of Justice also smokes in the series.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I never saw Ward smoke a pipe, but always picture him in my mind with a straight billiard reading the paper for some reason.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. akfilm

akfilm

Login to Send PM

Others that haven't been mentioned yet. "Taboo" has pipe smoking, the main character smokes several different clay pipes, and not smoked, but there's a nice pipe display in Season 1 of Once Upon a Time, "Hell on Wheels" has quite a bit of pipe smoking, "Narcos" has a character smoking a pipe, Netflix's A Series of Unfortunate Events" has Count Olaf smoking a pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one on the forum, Jazz.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

in Bojack Horseman, Bojack's father Butterscotch smoked a pipe in flashbacks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

the guy getting interviewed has an old tin of granger and a tin of PA on display https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4ZBt0F1F2I

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Chief Quimby on Inspector Gadget.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  40. rajangan

rajangan

Login to Send PM

I think one of the best I saw was in Apollo 13. Three was an extra in the NASA control room properly tamping his pipe with one of the Czech multi tools.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. dino

dino

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On Laugh-In, in the late 60s-early 70s, Dan Rowan was often smoking a pipe.
    (The show is on antenna TV every weeknight on the "Decades" channel.)
    Here's a short clip:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/71VEfPEG_RE

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

molach95

Login to Send PM

Crashthegrey, Withnail & I is one of my favourite films. I'm afraid it doesn't look good for Withnail though, the guy he was based on from real life tragically died young of throat cancer, possibly due to drinking lighter fluid as well as his alcoholism and smoking. Very sad story. The bleak and lonely tone in the ending kind of implies that future, sorry for potential spoilers.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm glad there are still a few fans of the film around. It is absolutely a shame about Mackerell.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. johnsteam86

johnsteam86

Login to Send PM

I've been getting into The Alienist on TNT and there is a retired police chief that is always walking around lighting his clay pipe. Pretty good show but reminds me to much of how the Ripper murders were committed just changed the location and types of prostitutes. Very interesting cast to.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. midwestpipesmoker70

midwestpipesmoker70

Login to Send PM

I didn't see this one mentioned before but the pirate series Black Sails has quite a bit of pipe smoking, especially clays. Watch out for the nudity in that one though

Nate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  46. midwestpipesmoker70

midwestpipesmoker70

Login to Send PM

Or watch for the nudity...which ever you prefer haha.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tobefrank