PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
After watching the last episode of Downton Abbey, I mentioned to my wife that in the whole series, I never saw someone smoking a pipe. Could be I missed it, but then I never saw any character smoking anything in the house, just outside or in another location. Could be restrictions of the shooting location, pretty expensive and historical home, don't want the drapes and rugs smelling of smoke...

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
After watching the last episode of Downton Abbey, I mentioned to my wife that in the whole series, I never saw someone smoking a pipe. Could be I missed it, but then I never saw any character smoking anything in the house, just outside or in another location. Could be restrictions of the shooting location, pretty expensive and historical home, don't want the drapes and rugs smelling of smoke
I never saw anyone smoking a pipe in that show either. It struck me as a little strange as I did, however, see many cigars and cigarettes smoked and smoked in the house. As for the location. I have been there but before Downton Abbey fame. The place is actually called Highclere Castle. Perhaps some know that already, I have no idea. I was installing light and sound equipment for an event. As you enter the building you emerge into a part of the house that I think is called The Saloon. You see it often on the show as the place with the rather fancy staircase. It has what looks like wallpaper from a distance but as you get closer you realise it is actually some hand carved leather wall covering. I think it was from Spain and is clearly bloody old. The building is truly exquisite and even more impressive in reality I can assure you.
While I was working there I was standing out the front of the house next to some sort of butler smoking a cigarette and talking to another member of my crew. A Mercedes appears on the drive and is driving down the gravel towards us and is travelling at quite a speed. As it passes I comment to my friend something along the lines of "Blimey! She wants to slow down a little". The butler looks down his nose at me and pipes up with "Ahem! That was Lady Carnarvon Sir". This gave me and my mate something of a giggle.
The 5th Earl of the place was something of an Egyptologist and was with Howard Carter when the tomb of Tutankhamun was discovered. Consequently, the castle became home to many ancient Egyptian artefacts.
I have been lucky enough to have visited many of these old houses all over the country for the same reason and they all have their unique charm. I still can't imagine what it is like to live in one, though, I wouldn't mind trying.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
The Andy Griffith Show had a lot of pipe smokers. Also "Leave It To Beaver" had a show where Beaver and his friend tried smoking coffee grounds in his father's meerschaum pipe. I never saw Ward Cleaver smoking a pipe in the shows. I don't think he did because it was mentioned in the meerschaum pipe show that Ward Cleaver received the pipe from Lumpy's father.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
For Downton Abbey fans:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112130/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1366312/

jtv577

Lurker
Jan 22, 2018
A great Scottish show “Still Game” has many pipe smokers. One of the lead roles is a pipe smoker.

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
There is plenty of pipe-smoking in the BBC series "Peaky Blinders". It's a 1920s English gangster show if you're not familiar with it.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
In Narcos, Pablo Escobar's lawyer smokes a pipe, and it's not just a one off scene. He is shown throughout the series smoking different pipes. The minister of Justice also smokes in the series.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Others that haven't been mentioned yet. "Taboo" has pipe smoking, the main character smokes several different clay pipes, and not smoked, but there's a nice pipe display in Season 1 of Once Upon a Time, "Hell on Wheels" has quite a bit of pipe smoking, "Narcos" has a character smoking a pipe, Netflix's A Series of Unfortunate Events" has Count Olaf smoking a pipe.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
maxresdefaultf.jpg

in Bojack Horseman, Bojack's father Butterscotch smoked a pipe in flashbacks.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
the guy getting interviewed has an old tin of granger and a tin of PA on display https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4ZBt0F1F2I

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I think one of the best I saw was in Apollo 13. Three was an extra in the NASA control room properly tamping his pipe with one of the Czech multi tools.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
On Laugh-In, in the late 60s-early 70s, Dan Rowan was often smoking a pipe.

(The show is on antenna TV every weeknight on the "Decades" channel.)

Here's a short clip:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/71VEfPEG_RE

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
Crashthegrey, Withnail & I is one of my favourite films. I'm afraid it doesn't look good for Withnail though, the guy he was based on from real life tragically died young of throat cancer, possibly due to drinking lighter fluid as well as his alcoholism and smoking. Very sad story. The bleak and lonely tone in the ending kind of implies that future, sorry for potential spoilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.