PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I get a kick out of seeing pipe smokers on TV. One of my favorite shows is The Odd Couple and I just watched an episode that starred John Astin (of Adams Family fame) as "Buf", the head of Harem Magazine (ala Playboy), a mag that Oscar worked at for an episode...
ja5.JPG

ja4.JPG

There's a great scene when "Buf" knocks the pipe out of his mouth when he answers the phone and asks in a paranoid voice "did anyone laugh?" Once assured no one laughed, he then laughs at himself. Funny scene.
I like the white pipe - very 70s. It also has a white dot, but I've never seen a white painted Dunhill - did they exist?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks Roth, that was a great video. I like meers a lot, but prefer them in classic style. That particular Bing's favorite he's holding is gorgeous. I wouldn't mind owning one of those.

May 31, 2012
...on the beeb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj50-FKv0tw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO-c4nq4yDE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVe8STc5FBU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPIwFRZXUA4

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
You used to see pipes on TV all the time when I was a youngster. The Prime Minister smoked a pipe, most "experts" on discussion shows had a pipe in their hand. During the Apollo 13 drama, there was constant coverage on TV and by the time the astronauts returned safely, the studio looked like a smoke machine had been left running.
Apart from "Period Drama" I've not seen a pipe on TV in years.

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
You don't necessarily see them in period dramas, either. In the soap opera Downton Abbey, the bad people smoke cigarettes and the titled men smoke cigars - no pipes.
My wife and I have watched a lot of historical re-creations likeVictorian Farm, Edwardian Farm, etc., and the level of detail is amazing, except for the complete lack of mention of pipe-smoking (or any other tobacco use).

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Oddly enough, Professor Utonium on the Cartoon Network show "Power Puff Girls" was a pipe smoker...
ProfesorUtonium2.jpg

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Nice videos MisterLC - thanks for posting those.
In the soap opera Downton Abbey, the bad people smoke cigarettes and the titled men smoke cigars - no pipes.
That's too bad. My wife has been trying to get me to watch it, I thought, well, maybe if there's pipe smoking... :puffy:

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Downton Abbey is actually rather good. I'm not usually a huge fan of that sort of think, but really enjoyed this one. Starting on the eve of the sinking of the Titanic, it shows the beginning of the end for the grand country houses.

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
There are, surprisingly, some cartoons that portray characters with pipes. My avatar picture being of one such cartoon. Regular Show is what it is called and it comes on Cartoon Network.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
jbbaldwin & withnail I'm glad you mentioned Downton Abbey. It is a great period drama 'soap opera' style. My wife and I have been watching this show since it first came out. Really one of the best shows on television these days.
'So put that in your pipe and smoke it' - Dowager Countess Violet Grantham
Maggie Moments

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
On early episodes of Night Court, and in the opening credits, Dan Fielding was smoking a pipe...

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Never got in to Downton Abbey and now that it's so popular I probably won't ever watch the show.
Canada's detective show Murdoch Mysteries does feature occassional pipe smoking as it's set in Toronto during the late 1800s. There's even an episode where a man who thinks he's Holmes is sitting in the interrogation room puffing away on a Calabash.
You really don't see much pipe smoking in any modern set shows these days. The closest I can think of would be McGhee of NCIS having a pipe as a muse for when he writes but he doesn't smoke it.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
That Condor commercial is great. I laughed out loud.
The last new tv show I saw with pipe smoking was Mad Men in Seasons 1 and 2 (maybe 3?) with the copy writer Paul Kinsey (played by real life pipe smoker Michael Gladdis). There is content available on this website where Kevin interviews him. Apologies for spelling errors in either the character's or the pipe smoker's name.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I've seen a bit of pipe smoking on Ripper Street on BBC America, but not enough to be historically accurate IMO.

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
OK...going to try this again. Had audio sync issues. This is from the Adventures of Brisco Country Jr., a series I believe was on during the early 90's. The reason I got a Pete 312 (not sure if the one in the video is...could be a Wellington?)

Brisco

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
*NECRO POST ALERT!*
I thought I would revive this old post rather than create a new one. I have a 2 year old daughter, so a large amount of the television viewing in my house right now is children's programming. Winnie the Pooh is a favorite, so the other day I turned on the original Winnie the Pooh cartoons on Netflix. I happened to notice something that I hadn't before- Rabbit is a pipe smoker! Or, at the very least, a pipe owner, since you never actually see him smoke it.

rabbit-pipe.png

Status
Not open for further replies.