Pipe Brothers From Different Locations

(34 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by shikano53
  • Latest reply from mikethompson
  1. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It always fascinates me when I read comments from people all over the globe but mostly from NA and they talk about the weather. I have a pipe smoking buddy that I Skype with and as old codgers we talk about what old codgers talk about, like how we could fix the world kinda stuff. And of course pipes, tobacco, reviews, yada, yada, blah, blah.
    But the first thing I do is ask about his weather because he lives on the other side of the continent in Florida. What I find so interesting is when he tells what his daily winter temperature is, I think oh my gawd, that's hotter than most of our hottest summer temperatures here in Central Alberta. How do people live there in the summer!!
    I have been to Dallas once in December only to change flights. I have ridden the Joshua Tree National Forest in February and around the Salteen sea and spent a week in January riding San Diego county but the thought of being there in July makes me shudder.
    Anyway, just an old guys observation.
    I told my friend today that it was really a beautiful day, the high reaching around the -5C range which I think is about 23F and he said that was still Way on the cold side. Hmmmm.
    I guess you get used to wherever you live.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm British so the weather is a national obsession and often the only topic of conversation with a stranger before we shuffle away from one another in some sort of socially awkward ritual.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm British so the weather is a national obsession and often the only topic of conversation with a stranger before we shuffle away from one another in some sort of socially awkward ritual.

I lived in Suffolk years ago. The weather seemed to be 362 days of drizzle followed by 3 days of sunshine sometime in late July.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Yes, the Net brings all of us closer together, and we often fail to consider what different environments we're in. Several weeks ago I was mailing some tobacco from Chicago to the west coast, but realized that a slight delay was in order because we were in a run of continuous sub-freezing weather -- something I'm sure the recipient had never considered.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I lived in Suffolk years ago. The weather seemed to be 362 days of drizzle followed by 3 days of sunshine sometime in late July.

It's a similar story in Wales fella. Although, we have a few more hills and mountains to hide behind when the wind whips up

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I live in the Dayton, Ohio area; I swear our news teasers are all like this: "An assassination attempt on the President today, but first the weather." The universal tag line is, "Ninety minutes of weather, every ten minutes."

Dave "Black Frigate Stowaway"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. johnsteam86

johnsteam86

Login to Send PM

Here in Texas during the middle of summer the weather guys turn into Robin Williams off of "Good Morning Vietnam".

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We Southerners catch crap for not having a clue as to how to drive when the roads become a solid sheet of ice, but I have never understood why someone would want to live where you can die from just spending too much time outside. At least here in warm and friendly Alabama, in summer it is still considered in-style and high fashion for all of the girls to wear short-shorts, tube-tops, and... that's it.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. exbenedict

exbenedict

Login to Send PM

Honestly, here in Texas, it's just varying degrees of hot. Even when we DO get cold weather, it is but a fading memory the next day. I was born and raised here, all over the state, and I can honestly say I am completely ok with not knowing if today is spontaneous combustion day or, "Oh hey! it's comfortable outside!"

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I live in Pennsylvania. Here its 8 months of hot as hell and 4 months of hell froze over.

Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. johnsteam86

johnsteam86

Login to Send PM

I prefer days where it's comfortable outside. If you have your air conditioner checked there and needs replacing it'll take me about half of the time as it does when you feel like your in a oven. Then your going to be asking towards the end when I'm gonna be done.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

mithrandir

Login to Send PM

Here in the mountains of North Carolina you never know from day to day. About a month ago it snowed 6" and the next day it was 70 deg. a week later it was in the 20s every day.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been to Dallas once in December only to change flights. I have ridden the Joshua Tree National Forest in February and around the Salteen sea and spent a week in January riding San Diego county but the thought of being there in July makes me shudder.

There being Joshua Tree or the Salton Sea in July, yes.

There being San Diego in July, pretty darn comfortable!

Wales!! Jazz- Do you know Jack Taylor? Just finished the only season we could find (Premier season, 2010), and wish there were much more.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wales!! Jazz- Do you know Jack Taylor? Just finished the only season we could find (Premier season, 2010), and wish there were much more.

Not personally

Honestly, I'm a little confused. Isn't Jack Taylor an Irish private eye played by a Scotish actor? I can only barely remember watching an episode so am a bit oblivious.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Winters are short down here.

This year, it was on a Thursday...

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wife and I spent 2 weeks in Huntsville, Alabama in mid December. It was gorgeous. What really cracked us up was one morning walking over to the restaurant for breakfast, we noticed a big Dodge Ram diesel in the parking lot. The block heater was plugged in. The temperature was 68F.
    We thought that was kind of hilarious.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I live in the Faroe Islands, a tiny group of islands in the North Atlantic. This is a very windy place, and the weather is extremely unstable. Never hot, never really freezing, but unpredictable, hurricane ridden like no other place. Of course everyone talks about the weather all the time, and, like the rest of you, I wouldn't change it for anything.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

Montreal, Canada is a damp, windy and cold place in winter, with spring and fall interchangeable and a 50-50 chance at a nice summer. Needless to say that I smoke very little in winter as I'm an outdoors smoker.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I live in the Faroe Islands...

What!! You live in the Faroes? Man, that's a place I so want to visit.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Having lived most of my life in Mass or R.I, I was looking forward to moving to Florida(2003). My skiing days were behind me and therefore I saw no reason to deal with another winter. Now I live 9 miles from the recently rated no 1 beach in the US, Siesta Key beach. I spent a ton of time on that beach while my children grew up. What makes it so famous is the sand. It can be 90 degrees and the sand is still cool. When I moved to Sarasota, I knew I wanted to be close to that beach as I was blown away at how nice the sand was on previous visits.

"Siesta Key’s sand is 99% quartz crushed into a pure white fine powder. Because quartz is a crystal it actually disperses the heat from the sun and leaves Siesta Key beaches cool to the touch. Harvard University’s geology department discovered that through millenniums, quartz from the southern Appalachian Mountains down the rivers until it was eventually deposited into the Gulf of Mexico and then onto the coast of Florida. No one can tell exactly how long this process takes, but because the grains of sand are so fine we know it to be eons in the making."

"Siesta Key is widely recognized for having the BEST sand in the world! It’s fine, white and feels almost like powdered sugar in between your toes while you walk across the beautiful beach. In 1987 at the Great International White Sand Beach Challenge, it was scientifically proven that Siesta Key obviously has the whitest, softest sand beach in the world. And since sand like ours takes eons to create, Siesta ended any future challenges for this title."

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If am so out of here if cigrmaster posts a picture of himself in his mankini on his favourite fricken beach.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

peck, no mankini for me. Tommy Bahama board shorts only, to go with my 6 pack abs.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Winters are short down here.

This year, it was on a Thursday...

Was it Thursday this year? I thought it was a Wednesday.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Kentucky Winters are funny. Always expect the opposite of the weather report.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Atlanta weather is traffic.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We were getting ready for spring, when ... surprize, winter is back. It's been snowing without pause since last night, roughly 20 cm of snow, and this is not even the worse part of the country. Outside the Carpathian curve they have schools closed, highways closed, train delays, planes not taking off, and all the good stuff. -8 C right now ... and it took me over an hour to get to work, 10 km in one hour ... oh well can't wait to go home and go to sleep.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. rajangan

rajangan

Login to Send PM

I live in Edmonton. It's -5 now, but plus ten in my brand new greenhouse, which I'm happy about. I planted my onions in pots yesterday. 300 of them- three different onions, leeks, and shallots. Hopefully it doesn't get too cold this month.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. timelord

timelord

Login to Send PM

I live in Manly, NSW, Australia (really a suburb of Sydney but since we're a 30 minute ferry ride away from the CBD (or downtown Sydney) we like to pretend that we're a long way away). Anyway, 35c in Sydney today, around 25c on Manly Beach watching the international surfing comp thanks to a cool offshore breeze. Only problem - no smoking on the beach or surrounding reserve (green/park areas). Still, not a bad way to spend what is officially 'the last day of summer' (when I was at school we measure the seasons from the equinoxes but now it seems to be from the 1st of the month so everyone will be surprised at 'unseasonable warm weather in spring' for the first couple of weeks).

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. admiral

admiral

Login to Send PM

I am so out of here if cigrmaster posts a picture of himself in his mankini on his favourite fricken beach.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Olkofri: beware, if you look anything like your avatar, you will be eaten!

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. anthony416

anthony416

Login to Send PM

I live in Sydney about 15 miles north of Timelord. Some days this summer (December to February) were some of the hottest on record. Interesting for us to be frying and you guys freezing and then vicaversa. As I get older I think I would prefer the cold rather than the 115 deg F we had this year

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pretty much sums up the winter here in Southern Ontario.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I lived in Suffolk years ago."

Seacaptain, I too lived in Suffolk for some years (Lavenham, Long Melford, Sudbury, Great Cornard) and found the climate far better than my native Yorkshire/Derbyshire.

However in '88 I moved to West Cornwall (South coast) and the climate here is again totally different. So much so that I had forgotten what snow looked like until I drew my curtains back this morning! We are at the moment suffering a blast of freezing weather from the East which it not the norm for this time of year.

Mike, that is some seriously cold weather

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  34. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jay, that's without the wind chill too, it 'felt' like -30c!

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   lightxmyfire, samw74, paulfg, boston, cjforshi, oldtoby, hauntedmyst, jiminks