PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
It always fascinates me when I read comments from people all over the globe but mostly from NA and they talk about the weather. I have a pipe smoking buddy that I Skype with and as old codgers we talk about what old codgers talk about, like how we could fix the world kinda stuff. And of course pipes, tobacco, reviews, yada, yada, blah, blah.

But the first thing I do is ask about his weather because he lives on the other side of the continent in Florida. What I find so interesting is when he tells what his daily winter temperature is, I think oh my gawd, that's hotter than most of our hottest summer temperatures here in Central Alberta. How do people live there in the summer!! :crazy:

I have been to Dallas once in December only to change flights. I have ridden the Joshua Tree National Forest in February and around the Salteen sea and spent a week in January riding San Diego county but the thought of being there in July makes me shudder.

Anyway, just an old guys observation.

I told my friend today that it was really a beautiful day, the high reaching around the -5C range which I think is about 23F and he said that was still Way on the cold side. Hmmmm.

I guess you get used to wherever you live.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I'm British so the weather is a national obsession and often the only topic of conversation with a stranger before we shuffle away from one another in some sort of socially awkward ritual.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I'm British so the weather is a national obsession and often the only topic of conversation with a stranger before we shuffle away from one another in some sort of socially awkward ritual.
I lived in Suffolk years ago. The weather seemed to be 362 days of drizzle followed by 3 days of sunshine sometime in late July.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Yes, the Net brings all of us closer together, and we often fail to consider what different environments we're in. Several weeks ago I was mailing some tobacco from Chicago to the west coast, but realized that a slight delay was in order because we were in a run of continuous sub-freezing weather -- something I'm sure the recipient had never considered.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I lived in Suffolk years ago. The weather seemed to be 362 days of drizzle followed by 3 days of sunshine sometime in late July.
:)
It's a similar story in Wales fella. Although, we have a few more hills and mountains to hide behind when the wind whips up ;-)

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
I live in the Dayton, Ohio area; I swear our news teasers are all like this: "An assassination attempt on the President today, but first the weather." The universal tag line is, "Ninety minutes of weather, every ten minutes."

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
Here in Texas during the middle of summer the weather guys turn into Robin Williams off of "Good Morning Vietnam".

We Southerners catch crap for not having a clue as to how to drive when the roads become a solid sheet of ice, but I have never understood why someone would want to live where you can die from just spending too much time outside. At least here in warm and friendly Alabama, in summer it is still considered in-style and high fashion for all of the girls to wear short-shorts, tube-tops, and... that's it. :puffy:

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
Honestly, here in Texas, it's just varying degrees of hot. Even when we DO get cold weather, it is but a fading memory the next day. I was born and raised here, all over the state, and I can honestly say I am completely ok with not knowing if today is spontaneous combustion day or, "Oh hey! it's comfortable outside!"

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
I prefer days where it's comfortable outside. If you have your air conditioner checked there and needs replacing it'll take me about half of the time as it does when you feel like your in a oven. Then your going to be asking towards the end when I'm gonna be done.

mithrandir

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2015
Here in the mountains of North Carolina you never know from day to day. About a month ago it snowed 6" and the next day it was 70 deg. a week later it was in the 20s every day.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have been to Dallas once in December only to change flights. I have ridden the Joshua Tree National Forest in February and around the Salteen sea and spent a week in January riding San Diego county but the thought of being there in July makes me shudder.
There being Joshua Tree or the Salton Sea in July, yes.
There being San Diego in July, pretty darn comfortable!
Wales!! Jazz- Do you know Jack Taylor? Just finished the only season we could find (Premier season, 2010), and wish there were much more.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Wales!! Jazz- Do you know Jack Taylor? Just finished the only season we could find (Premier season, 2010), and wish there were much more.
Not personally :D
Honestly, I'm a little confused. Isn't Jack Taylor an Irish private eye played by a Scotish actor? I can only barely remember watching an episode so am a bit oblivious.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Winters are short down here.
This year, it was on a Thursday... :nana:
jay-roger.jpg

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
My wife and I spent 2 weeks in Huntsville, Alabama in mid December. It was gorgeous. What really cracked us up was one morning walking over to the restaurant for breakfast, we noticed a big Dodge Ram diesel in the parking lot. The block heater was plugged in. The temperature was 68F.

We thought that was kind of hilarious.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I live in the Faroe Islands, a tiny group of islands in the North Atlantic. This is a very windy place, and the weather is extremely unstable. Never hot, never really freezing, but unpredictable, hurricane ridden like no other place. Of course everyone talks about the weather all the time, and, like the rest of you, I wouldn't change it for anything.

Mar 29, 2016
Montreal, Canada is a damp, windy and cold place in winter, with spring and fall interchangeable and a 50-50 chance at a nice summer. Needless to say that I smoke very little in winter as I'm an outdoors smoker.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Having lived most of my life in Mass or R.I, I was looking forward to moving to Florida(2003). My skiing days were behind me and therefore I saw no reason to deal with another winter. Now I live 9 miles from the recently rated no 1 beach in the US, Siesta Key beach. I spent a ton of time on that beach while my children grew up. What makes it so famous is the sand. It can be 90 degrees and the sand is still cool. When I moved to Sarasota, I knew I wanted to be close to that beach as I was blown away at how nice the sand was on previous visits.
"Siesta Key’s sand is 99% quartz crushed into a pure white fine powder. Because quartz is a crystal it actually disperses the heat from the sun and leaves Siesta Key beaches cool to the touch. Harvard University’s geology department discovered that through millenniums, quartz from the southern Appalachian Mountains down the rivers until it was eventually deposited into the Gulf of Mexico and then onto the coast of Florida. No one can tell exactly how long this process takes, but because the grains of sand are so fine we know it to be eons in the making."
"Siesta Key is widely recognized for having the BEST sand in the world! It’s fine, white and feels almost like powdered sugar in between your toes while you walk across the beautiful beach. In 1987 at the Great International White Sand Beach Challenge, it was scientifically proven that Siesta Key obviously has the whitest, softest sand beach in the world. And since sand like ours takes eons to create, Siesta ended any future challenges for this title."

Status
Not open for further replies.