Peterson Pipes

(55 posts)
  • Started 7 months ago by mp31guitar
  • Latest reply from bullet08
  1. mp31guitar

mp31guitar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was looking to get a Peterson Donegal Rocky 314 but the new way they are rusticating these pipes is awful. Just my opinion, remember everybody has one.

Posted 7 months ago #
  2. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yup. It's like someone decided that 50 seconds was too long, and 30 seconds per pipe is the new standard for the finish. Just terrible compared to "good" rustication (like Sea Rock) but of course, that kind of thing takes near an hour per pipe, and puts the cost way up. If you are buying a pipe at 80 dollars, it is seeing 5 minutes of "in hand" time at the factory.

Posted 7 months ago #
  3. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This one? And, is that a blast or some form of auto-rustication to mimic sandblasting?

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

k9shag

Login to Send PM

I recently took advantage of a P&C deal on Petersons and bought the Killarney rusticated finish. I could handle the finish OK but the drilling was so bad the draft hole and the stem did not line up at all. I am awaiting a UPS label to return it. I agree the finish left something to be desired but if it had been decent smoker I would have been OK. Never got the chance to smoke it because of the awful drilling. Not sure why Savinelli can drill their pipes in the same price range spot on and Peterson has so much trouble.

Posted 7 months ago #
  5. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

JPM, that one's not too bad (and yes, it's tooled with a rotary tool like a dremel, not blasted, and then stained and buffed for contrast)... try this one though:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=215232

Barf!

Posted 7 months ago #
  6. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love a sandblasted Pete..... NOT whatever that abomination is. I had one in my hand and it actually felt like plastic.

Peterson needs to fix that. I love the older Donegal Rocky look. The new look is that of a turd drying on hot pavement during July in Vegas.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 7 months ago #
  7. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

try this one though:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=215232

Barf!

Gawd almighty, sas' have a heart. I just ATE, for God's sake! JHC, what an abomination. It looks like a '70s Medico that wasn't quite good enough to be a basket pipe!!!

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  8. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The result of a dog chewing on it would be better....

Posted 7 months ago #
  9. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I. too, am a fan of older forms of Pete rustication and, if buying would avoid patterns like the Derry above. Fortunately, though, some of their current rustication is tolerable to decent and can even seem to vary within a line of pipes from the above to the "tolerable" form. I rather like the one you posted jpm.

Posted 7 months ago #
  10. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Really comparing a sub $90 Pete with a Castello.. The Derry's are cut like that.

Posted 7 months ago #
  11. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The result of a dog chewing on it would be better....

No flipping joke there.....

Posted 7 months ago #
  12. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, my. That Derry is not cherry. Reminds me of Norfolk pines, the only conifer I don't like.

And, yet, I bet some love it, so all's good!

Posted 7 months ago #
  13. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I Just bought a Derry Pete, also during the P&C sale. What really attracted me was the spigot and the color of the stem, and I just kind of ignored the bowl. The rusticatation is, well, pretty damned rustic. The good news is that it was $50 off, feels good in the hand, and so far it’s been a great dry smoker that easily passes a cleaner. Its appearance may terrify small children.

Posted 7 months ago #
  14. swilford

swilford

Login to Send PM

Guys,

Laudisi acquired Peterson at the end of July. By the second week in August, that rustication (the zig-zaggy badness that you're rightly complaining about) stopped entirely. All pipes produced since mid-August have had the older, proper Peterson rustication.

Of course, there's not much we can do about the pipes that were already in commerce at that time (as in, had been sold by Peterson, but were still at distributors or retailers).

This is one of dozens of small (and large) changes that Peterson has undertaken in the past four months. But here are the three big ones of those that have happened:

1) No more 'quick' (read: ugly) rustication.

2) Changed bowl coating to something that tastes better (it's now similar to what artisan pipe makers use, scaled up in terms of batch size), which we think was largely the source of the complaints on the way Petersons tasted on break-in.

3) Increasing standards (really returning to the proper standards) for bowl quality relative to series.

4) More rigorous quality control. Peterson is much more serious about making sure pipes leaving the factory are right than it was six months ago.

So, no this is not the 'new' rustication. This rustication was a thing between about the beginning of 2016 and early 2018.

Sykes

Posted 7 months ago #
  15. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's FANTASTIC!!! Thank you for "piping" in.

Posted 7 months ago #
  16. swilford

swilford

Login to Send PM

Quick follow up. For comparison, here's a Derry Rustic made in the past few months:
    https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=307703

Posted 7 months ago #
  17. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's more like it Love my Pete's, just always avoided that ugliness

Posted 7 months ago #
  18. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all you're doing Sykes to improve Peterson. Peterson has long been my favorite pipe maker.

Posted 7 months ago #
  19. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Uh-oh. I'm afraid I asked for one of the "bad" rustications that was on sale at PC, for Christmas. If it's a good smoker, I will probably enjoy it. I have one or two "campy" rustications. A La Rocca I saw at my local independent B&M struck me wrong, with looping patterned carved rustication, but it nagged me. I went away and decided about two weeks later to go back, and if it was there, I'd buy it. It was, and I did. This one has really grown on me, a light weight but good big deep poker. So maybe that will happen with this one. It's a B10 Calabash, so I'm thinking the shape may help carry the "unusual" finish. And let's face it, we all know my tastes are a little odd anyway.

Posted 7 months ago #
  20. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

I ordered a Peterson Kinsale Rustic XL30 that came yesterday from P&C. I smoked it last night and it worked like a champ. I had to clean a lot of dust and crap out of it first. I haven't had any trouble with any of my Peterson's as of yet.
    I have a Peterson Kinsale Rustic XL29 coming in today. I hope that one smokes as well. Most of my pipes are Peterson and Savinelli with a few Dagner, Briarworks, and Moonshine thrown in.

Posted 7 months ago #
  21. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That Derry is no longer available. I just bought it.

Thank you for saving Peterson!!

Posted 7 months ago #
  22. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know Peterson has had some spells of quality control complaints. I have about eight or ten Petes bought over eight or ten years, and I've always been lucky. They are work horse dependable and nicely done.

Posted 7 months ago #
  23. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, no this is not the 'new' rustication. This rustication was a thing between about the beginning of 2016 and early 2018.
    Sykes, thank you for the clarification. That "new" rustication like the "old" original version is a far sight better. I am happy to hear that such big changes are being implemented. You and the team are doing great, and difficult, things.

Posted 7 months ago #
  24. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peterson is one of my four or five favorite brands of factory pipes, and I'm a big respecter of factory pipes. Their distinctive design is extra pleasing. So I want them to do well and thrive into the Century.

Posted 7 months ago #
  25. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the update Sykes.

Oh, by the way, Glen Whelan is an absolute pleasure to deal with. I've been in constant contact with him. The upside is, that his customer service is great. The downside is, he has gotten me to spend way more money than I really should. But, I've acquired several 'grails' this way.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  26. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

While I think the rustication is the ugliest thing in earth, I know everyone has their own likes and dislikes. The problem I have with Peterson has always been the piss poor drilling. Some of the "Premium Peterson Pipes" SP posted on 12/12 had the bad drilling visible in the images or video. For shame!

Posted 7 months ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

mitch11

Login to Send PM

Ha i must be the only one who actually liked this “Donegal” Rustication! I found it unique and my 03 pipe smokes great.

Posted 7 months ago #
  28. rogerrodger

rogerrodger

Login to Send PM

I have one of the "ugly" Peterson Derry's that I got on sale last week from Cigar Chateau in Wichita, but after cleaning out debris from the stem that was impeding the draw, I really like it. I admit the rustification is unusual, but I find it oddly attractive. I also like funny looking dogs, like in the New Yorker cartoons from the '60s and '70s. The pipe smokes well now and feels great in my long-fingered hands.

Posted 7 months ago #
  29. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sykes

I have a Christmas 2014 Peterson that has very nice rustication, but I have seen photos of pipes from exactly the same series that were rusticated in the quickshod manner.

Mine looks similar to this:

rather than this:

Posted 7 months ago #
  30. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can see how some might find the bent attractive.

Posted 7 months ago #
  31. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

leacha, am always curious whenever I've encountered someone complaining about Peterson's "piss poor" drilling in that I've never encountered truly poor drilling. I may not know great from average drilling but, whether my pipes have been drilled great or not, none have had problems with smoking.

Posted 7 months ago #
  32. mityahicks

mityahicks

Login to Send PM

I'm glad y'all cleared this issue up. I had no idea why those were so ugly. I don't own a Peterson yet but have a couple on my radar and will get once pipe budget replenishes.

Posted 7 months ago #
  33. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ irishearl I'm not the only one who has seen the drilling issues. I've seen a number of posts by smokers say they will not buy a Peterson unless they can inspect it first because of the issues. I bought a 107 shape St. Pat pipe once. It couldn't pass a cleaner. It was returned and then resold. Silver Army, same. Christmas pipe, same. The worst? An 03 Deluxe System. The stummel is drilled perfect. I went to check the draw, nothing. They didn't finish drilling the damn stem out.

I have a love hate with Peterson. Love their shapes, hate their quality. Hopefully Sykes can turn it around.

Posted 7 months ago #
  34. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

@ irishearl I'm not the only one who has seen the drilling issues. I've seen a number of posts by smokers say they will not buy a Peterson unless they can inspect it first because of the issues. I bought a 107 shape St. Pat pipe once. It couldn't pass a cleaner. It was returned and then resold. Silver Army, same. Christmas pipe, same. The worst? An 03 Deluxe System. The stummel is drilled perfect. I went to check the draw, nothing. They didn't finish drilling the damn stem out.
    I have a love hate with Peterson. Love their shapes, hate their quality. Hopefully Sykes can turn it around.

A straight pipe that wouldn't pass a cleaner?! I just ordered a Pete 01 Christmas Pipe. The 2018 Christmas Pipes are some of the most elegant and tasteful pipes I've seen, at least in my own subjective perspective. Even so, if it won't pass a cleaner, I'll return it. I actually went with the 01 as a bit of compromise. I really like their full bent pipes like the 221, but the 01 looks like it's a shallower bend and more likely to pass a cleaner. We will see.

Posted 7 months ago #
  35. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never worried about the "pipe cleaner" test as among my sacreligious acts as a long-time pipe smoker is, if my pipe needs a swabbing amidst smoke, I take out the stem and swab er down without ill effects.

Posted 7 months ago #
  36. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@lawdog I'd be surprised if the 01 will pass. The Army pipes are drilled with deep mortise so the airway will be above the bottom. Think mini system pipe.

Posted 7 months ago #
  37. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank Goodness. Thanks for that update, Sykes. Peterson has such a fantastic legacy and catalogue of time-proven shapes. It's really encouraging to see a renewed emphasis on quality.

Posted 7 months ago #
  38. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sykes, can a Peterson 4AB be far behind?

Posted 7 months ago #
  39. canucklehead

canucklehead

Login to Send PM

It looks like a '70s Medico that wasn't quite good enough to be a basket pipe!!!
    I don't know, I think my Medico looks nicer...

Posted 7 months ago #
  40. swilford

swilford

Login to Send PM

I wanted to check back in and add a couple of things:

I have a Christmas 2014 Peterson that has very nice rustication, but I have seen photos of pipes from exactly the same series that were rusticated in the quickshod manner.

I had my starting dates wrong; I was working from memory and obviously my memory was incorrect. It was 2014, or maybe late 2013. I can't find examples that I think were from 2013, but it's hard to tell definitively.

As for there being some of both rustication in one Christmas series, this wasn't all that unusual, which I always thought was weird when I'd see it happen. It depended some on who in the factory was rusticating and what sorts of pressure the factory was under at a given time.

Sykes, can a Peterson 4AB be far behind?

We'll just have to wait and see, won't we?

Seriously, we have every intention of doing this sort of thing, if not exactly this (the 4AB is among a number of old Peterson shapes we've discussed). But we're at the beginning of a long journey here. If you're wondering what our future plans are, it will be things along these lines.

I should broadly add something important I left out: most of the changes thus far were also things that the folks in the factory wanted. We asked what they wanted to see change and their list and our list mostly overlapped (and indeed, in explaining some of their frustrations, they explained things were were seeing and didn't know why we were seeing them). This has been a group effort--including management and the workers in Sallynoggin--not something we've come in and imposed from outside.

Finally, if you like the zig-zaggy rustication, that's fine too. It was done because it was faster and required less experience to execute, but that doesn't make it inherently bad. But it isn't Peterson's rustication, which makes it bad for Peterson.

Sykes

Posted 7 months ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

mitch11

Login to Send PM

maybe my zig-zaggy pipe will be a collectible some day then! Regardless i’m a big fan of the brand including the tobaccos.

Posted 7 months ago #
  42. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sykes, since you came on today and explained what was going on, and how it was going forward, I purchased four Petersons out of support and appreciation.

It doesn't hurt that i really like Petes.

Posted 7 months ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

mitch11

Login to Send PM

^^^^ better post some pictures when they arrive or it didn’t happen!

Posted 7 months ago #
  44. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Look above for the Derry and I posted the Spigot Pete O3 in another thread I started. I'll gladly post more when they arrive.

Posted 7 months ago #
  45. anthony416

anthony416

Login to Send PM

Glad to see there may be some improvements coming. I have a few Petes from a time when they were all blasts rather than rusticated. I guess that the time to rusticate is significantly less than that to do a true blast? Below is one of mine which I think shows how good they can be;

Posted 7 months ago #
  46. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony.

Posted 7 months ago #
  47. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love my Petes. Here is what I know: They smoke!

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 7 months ago #
  48. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

better post some pictures when they arrive or it didn’t happen!

I know you weren't responding to me, but I love Petes too.

Almost all are Petes.

My Hinged Lids. My proudest is a Jim Lilley Collection Hinged Lid.

I don't have a picture, but I also have a complete set of all the Twains made, Including the elusive green set (poker and bent, only three sets made)

Posted 7 months ago #
  49. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's gonna take a lot to win me back. I'll stick with the older estates for now.

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  50. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

@lawdog I'd be surprised if the 01 will pass. The Army pipes are drilled with deep mortise so the airway will be above the bottom. Think mini system pipe.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't own any army mount pipes, though I've always loved the look. I was unaware of the deep mortise aspect of their design. Makes sense when I think about how the tenon fits.

As to the pipe cleaner test in general, I find that pipes that won't pass the test tend to gurgle more easily, and then there is the added trouble that they can be difficult to swab out mid-smoke if they start gurgling. I understand army mounts can more readily be disassembled when hot, but I don't know that I'd care to go to the trouble.

Posted 7 months ago #
  51. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the heads up. I don't own any army mount pipes, though I've always loved the look. I was unaware of the deep mortise aspect of their design. Makes sense when I think about how the tenon fits.

As to the pipe cleaner test in general, I find that pipes that won't pass the test tend to gurgle more easily, and then there is the added trouble that they can be difficult to swab out mid-smoke if they start gurgling. I understand army mounts can more readily be disassembled when hot, but I don't know that I'd care to go to the trouble.

Here's my Army 01

If you get gurgle from it it'll be from 2 spots. Either a piece of tobacco obstructing the air way or moisture in the stem from your mouth, the smoke or both.

A tap of the pipe on your knuckles should clear most gurgles. If you constantly get it in the stem near the bottom, a slight chamfer of the draft hole can help alleviate the gurgle. Moisture by the bit? Don't be such a slobber mouth :-).

Kidding aside, do not be afraid of pulling the stem off. Just don't reassemble it with all of you strength. The best military mount pipes are Peterson's. They need to work on the drilling before worrying about rustication IMO.

Posted 7 months ago #
  52. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

lawdawg, the only reason I find that I sometimes need to swab a pipe out before I'm done smoking it, is because I always smoke at least 4 bowls at a time in the pipe. That only tends to happen toward the end of my smoking and will pull out a stem to do so if needed. I own many brands of pipes and don't find my Petersons anymore inclined to need this than any other pipe except my only Hungarian, a Jobey. The design of it causes it to become gurggley fast.

Posted 7 months ago #
  53. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree that some of the rustication in the past has suffered a lot, although current production seems much better.
    My wife has a Pre-Republic Pete from England, late 1930s I believe. I have never seen one like this, interesting rustication, and believe it or not, an aluminum mount! And yes, I'm sure about that. She doesn't smoke it that much because she likes smooth pipes, but it dates to around her birth year so she'll never get rid of it.

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 7 months ago #
  54. wendell

wendell

Login to Send PM

WOW !! UNKLEYODA .. that is an impressive collection!! for kicks I counted them ... nearly 60 !! I have about a dozen 30-50 dollar ones .. do the more expensive ones really smoke better? or is it a status thing?

Posted 6 months ago #
  55. User has not uploaded an avatar

bullet08

Login to Send PM

3 peterson pipes in last.. 2 months. they all smoke great. no issues with smoking. cleaner will not pass through to the bowl from the tip of the stem. but if i bend the cleaner a little at the tip and move it around, it will usually find the draw hole to the bowl. takes time, but i don't have moisture problem or gurgling. maybe it's just the way they drill the draw hole. looking at their cut out of system pipes, the draw hole is way off center to make room for the chamber for the spit or whatever on the bottom. being production pipes and all, maybe the tooling is set like that for all the bowls.

Posted 6 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   alaskanpiper, husky, jfred, elasmo, jiminks, jojoc, chasingembers, craig61a, donjgiles, mindglue, jabomano, oldgeezersmoker, mikethompson, greeneyes