PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know Peterson has had some spells of quality control complaints. I have about eight or ten Petes bought over eight or ten years, and I've always been lucky. They are work horse dependable and nicely done.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
So, no this is not the 'new' rustication. This rustication was a thing between about the beginning of 2016 and early 2018.
Sykes, thank you for the clarification. That "new" rustication like the "old" original version is a far sight better. I am happy to hear that such big changes are being implemented. You and the team are doing great, and difficult, things.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Peterson is one of my four or five favorite brands of factory pipes, and I'm a big respecter of factory pipes. Their distinctive design is extra pleasing. So I want them to do well and thrive into the Century.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Thanks for the update Sykes.
Oh, by the way, Glen Whelan is an absolute pleasure to deal with. I've been in constant contact with him. The upside is, that his customer service is great. The downside is, he has gotten me to spend way more money than I really should. But, I've acquired several 'grails' this way. :puffy:

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
While I think the rustication is the ugliest thing in earth, I know everyone has their own likes and dislikes. The problem I have with Peterson has always been the piss poor drilling. Some of the "Premium Peterson Pipes" SP posted on 12/12 had the bad drilling visible in the images or video. For shame!

mitch11

Lurker
Nov 18, 2018
Ha i must be the only one who actually liked this “Donegal” Rustication! I found it unique and my 03 pipe smokes great.

rogerrodger

Lurker
Dec 7, 2018
I have one of the "ugly" Peterson Derry's that I got on sale last week from Cigar Chateau in Wichita, but after cleaning out debris from the stem that was impeding the draw, I really like it. I admit the rustification is unusual, but I find it oddly attractive. I also like funny looking dogs, like in the New Yorker cartoons from the '60s and '70s. The pipe smokes well now and feels great in my long-fingered hands.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
So, no this is not the 'new' rustication. This rustication was a thing between about the beginning of 2016 and early 2018.
Sykes
I have a Christmas 2014 Peterson that has very nice rustication, but I have seen photos of pipes from exactly the same series that were rusticated in the quickshod manner.
Mine looks similar to this:

002-029-21681.jpg

rather than this:
002-029-22953.jpg

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
leacha, am always curious whenever I've encountered someone complaining about Peterson's "piss poor" drilling in that I've never encountered truly poor drilling. I may not know great from average drilling but, whether my pipes have been drilled great or not, none have had problems with smoking.

mityahicks

Nov 18, 2018
I'm glad y'all cleared this issue up. I had no idea why those were so ugly. I don't own a Peterson yet but have a couple on my radar and will get once pipe budget replenishes.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
@ irishearl I'm not the only one who has seen the drilling issues. I've seen a number of posts by smokers say they will not buy a Peterson unless they can inspect it first because of the issues. I bought a 107 shape St. Pat pipe once. It couldn't pass a cleaner. It was returned and then resold. Silver Army, same. Christmas pipe, same. The worst? An 03 Deluxe System. The stummel is drilled perfect. I went to check the draw, nothing. They didn't finish drilling the damn stem out. 8O
I have a love hate with Peterson. Love their shapes, hate their quality. Hopefully Sykes can turn it around.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
@ irishearl I'm not the only one who has seen the drilling issues. I've seen a number of posts by smokers say they will not buy a Peterson unless they can inspect it first because of the issues. I bought a 107 shape St. Pat pipe once. It couldn't pass a cleaner. It was returned and then resold. Silver Army, same. Christmas pipe, same. The worst? An 03 Deluxe System. The stummel is drilled perfect. I went to check the draw, nothing. They didn't finish drilling the damn stem out.

I have a love hate with Peterson. Love their shapes, hate their quality. Hopefully Sykes can turn it around.
A straight pipe that wouldn't pass a cleaner?! I just ordered a Pete 01 Christmas Pipe. The 2018 Christmas Pipes are some of the most elegant and tasteful pipes I've seen, at least in my own subjective perspective. Even so, if it won't pass a cleaner, I'll return it. I actually went with the 01 as a bit of compromise. I really like their full bent pipes like the 221, but the 01 looks like it's a shallower bend and more likely to pass a cleaner. We will see.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I've never worried about the "pipe cleaner" test as among my sacreligious acts as a long-time pipe smoker is, if my pipe needs a swabbing amidst smoke, I take out the stem and swab er down without ill effects.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
@lawdog I'd be surprised if the 01 will pass. The Army pipes are drilled with deep mortise so the airway will be above the bottom. Think mini system pipe.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
I wanted to check back in and add a couple of things:
I have a Christmas 2014 Peterson that has very nice rustication, but I have seen photos of pipes from exactly the same series that were rusticated in the quickshod manner.
I had my starting dates wrong; I was working from memory and obviously my memory was incorrect. It was 2014, or maybe late 2013. I can't find examples that I think were from 2013, but it's hard to tell definitively.
As for there being some of both rustication in one Christmas series, this wasn't all that unusual, which I always thought was weird when I'd see it happen. It depended some on who in the factory was rusticating and what sorts of pressure the factory was under at a given time.
Sykes, can a Peterson 4AB be far behind?
We'll just have to wait and see, won't we? ;)
Seriously, we have every intention of doing this sort of thing, if not exactly this (the 4AB is among a number of old Peterson shapes we've discussed). But we're at the beginning of a long journey here. If you're wondering what our future plans are, it will be things along these lines.
I should broadly add something important I left out: most of the changes thus far were also things that the folks in the factory wanted. We asked what they wanted to see change and their list and our list mostly overlapped (and indeed, in explaining some of their frustrations, they explained things were were seeing and didn't know why we were seeing them). This has been a group effort--including management and the workers in Sallynoggin--not something we've come in and imposed from outside.
Finally, if you like the zig-zaggy rustication, that's fine too. It was done because it was faster and required less experience to execute, but that doesn't make it inherently bad. But it isn't Peterson's rustication, which makes it bad for Peterson.
Sykes

Status
Not open for further replies.