PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I was looking to get a Peterson Donegal Rocky 314 but the new way they are rusticating these pipes is awful. Just my opinion, remember everybody has one.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Yup. It's like someone decided that 50 seconds was too long, and 30 seconds per pipe is the new standard for the finish. Just terrible compared to "good" rustication (like Sea Rock) but of course, that kind of thing takes near an hour per pipe, and puts the cost way up. If you are buying a pipe at 80 dollars, it is seeing 5 minutes of "in hand" time at the factory.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This one? And, is that a blast or some form of auto-rustication to mimic sandblasting?
81NmLNLOPlL._SL1500_.jpg

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
I recently took advantage of a P&C deal on Petersons and bought the Killarney rusticated finish. I could handle the finish OK but the drilling was so bad the draft hole and the stem did not line up at all. I am awaiting a UPS label to return it. I agree the finish left something to be desired but if it had been decent smoker I would have been OK. Never got the chance to smoke it because of the awful drilling. Not sure why Savinelli can drill their pipes in the same price range spot on and Peterson has so much trouble.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
JPM, that one's not too bad (and yes, it's tooled with a rotary tool like a dremel, not blasted, and then stained and buffed for contrast)... try this one though:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=215232
Barf!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I love a sandblasted Pete..... NOT whatever that abomination is. I had one in my hand and it actually felt like plastic.
Peterson needs to fix that. I love the older Donegal Rocky look. The new look is that of a turd drying on hot pavement during July in Vegas.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
try this one though:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=215232
Barf!
Gawd almighty, sas' have a heart. I just ATE, for God's sake! JHC, what an abomination. It looks like a '70s Medico that wasn't quite good enough to be a basket pipe!!!
Bill

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I. too, am a fan of older forms of Pete rustication and, if buying would avoid patterns like the Derry above. Fortunately, though, some of their current rustication is tolerable to decent and can even seem to vary within a line of pipes from the above to the "tolerable" form. I rather like the one you posted jpm.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Oh, my. That Derry is not cherry. Reminds me of Norfolk pines, the only conifer I don't like.
And, yet, I bet some love it, so all's good!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I Just bought a Derry Pete, also during the P&C sale. What really attracted me was the spigot and the color of the stem, and I just kind of ignored the bowl. The rusticatation is, well, pretty damned rustic. The good news is that it was $50 off, feels good in the hand, and so far it’s been a great dry smoker that easily passes a cleaner. Its appearance may terrify small children.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Guys,
Laudisi acquired Peterson at the end of July. By the second week in August, that rustication (the zig-zaggy badness that you're rightly complaining about) stopped entirely. All pipes produced since mid-August have had the older, proper Peterson rustication.
Of course, there's not much we can do about the pipes that were already in commerce at that time (as in, had been sold by Peterson, but were still at distributors or retailers).
This is one of dozens of small (and large) changes that Peterson has undertaken in the past four months. But here are the three big ones of those that have happened:
1) No more 'quick' (read: ugly) rustication.
2) Changed bowl coating to something that tastes better (it's now similar to what artisan pipe makers use, scaled up in terms of batch size), which we think was largely the source of the complaints on the way Petersons tasted on break-in.
3) Increasing standards (really returning to the proper standards) for bowl quality relative to series.
4) More rigorous quality control. Peterson is much more serious about making sure pipes leaving the factory are right than it was six months ago.
So, no this is not the 'new' rustication. This rustication was a thing between about the beginning of 2016 and early 2018.
Sykes

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Uh-oh. I'm afraid I asked for one of the "bad" rustications that was on sale at PC, for Christmas. If it's a good smoker, I will probably enjoy it. I have one or two "campy" rustications. A La Rocca I saw at my local independent B&M struck me wrong, with looping patterned carved rustication, but it nagged me. I went away and decided about two weeks later to go back, and if it was there, I'd buy it. It was, and I did. This one has really grown on me, a light weight but good big deep poker. So maybe that will happen with this one. It's a B10 Calabash, so I'm thinking the shape may help carry the "unusual" finish. And let's face it, we all know my tastes are a little odd anyway.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I ordered a Peterson Kinsale Rustic XL30 that came yesterday from P&C. I smoked it last night and it worked like a champ. I had to clean a lot of dust and crap out of it first. I haven't had any trouble with any of my Peterson's as of yet.

I have a Peterson Kinsale Rustic XL29 coming in today. I hope that one smokes as well. Most of my pipes are Peterson and Savinelli with a few Dagner, Briarworks, and Moonshine thrown in.

Status
Not open for further replies.