Peterson Dracula Pipes

(35 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Spartan
  • Latest reply from cmdrmcbragg
  1. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thinking about adding a Dracula pipe to the collection.

Anyone here already pull the trigger on one?

What do you think about it?

Examples from sponsors:
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=122948

http://pipesandcigars.com/pe20drpi.html

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept?dpt=H&srch=KW&search_text=Peterson+Dracula

http://www.tobaccopipes.com/brands/Peterson-Pipe.html?page=6&sort=featured

I'm thinking of going with that 221 Fishtail on Tobaccopipes.com

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 6 years ago #
  2. bbarnes

bbarnes

Login to Send PM

Oh you would post that the day after my Savinelli comes in! Those are friggin sweet man.

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

neworleansgentleman

Login to Send PM

Loving the one on cupojoes

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

IIRC, we discussed the Dracula pipes quite a bit when they were coming out.

I don't care for the style/colors and the black coated stummel, but they're quite popular and from what I've read here, puffers who own a Dracula like it.

They are a limited release and what's out there in stores now is all there is -- so if you want one and you see the style you want, now's the time.

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a shame it's a limited release... but it does coax me into making up my mind a bit faster.

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. dervis

dervis

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now I have pipes that alot of people would consider Ugly, so to each their own. This however is to me personally in the top 10 ugliest style pipes I have ever seen. Vampires are big now though, my wifes book club have been on them for months it seems like. So probably super smart for them to do this. They are selling in my Local B&M as well.

"You have to be a man first before you're a gentleman. "

John Wayne
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't compare Dracula to the current vampire surge.

The backlash would be astronomical.

I think it'd be a great conversation piece and might even intrigue people enough to consider smoking a pipe if they know they can get crazy looking things like these. This doesn't play a major factor as to why I like the pipe; just a bonus.

I can't help but like them.

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I can't help but like them.

Many do

I've a pipe commissioned with a green mottled (cumberland) stem. It's a dublin bog oak, with a Celtic ring band, my "Celtic Dublin." The green & black work for me but I'm sure some would consider it ugly -- oh well LOL.

If you like that Drac, get it

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Get it. The black and red stem are pretty cool looking.
    Roth I would very much like to see your commissioned pipe when done. I like the combination of green and black with the celtic thrown in.

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 6 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Roth I would very much like to see your commissioned pipe when done. I like the combination of green and black with the celtic thrown in.

It'll be a while. Mid to late summer at the earliest, but I'll see what I can do for a pic when I get it home.

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. deleon

deleon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the dracula pipe on smokingpipes.com, wonderful stem color

Posted 6 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

paintedklown

Login to Send PM

Wow! IMO these are super cool. When I was in my teens (35 now), I had the usual teenage boy obsession with horror films and heavy metal music. These pips harken back to my youth and my love of (non glittering) vampires.

Being a new pipe smoker, I never thought I would actually lust after a pipe, but the billiard style has me wanting one...BADLY!

I really wish these weren't limited. I am not sure that I want to drop $100 on a pipe atm. :op

Posted 6 years ago #
  13. brewshooter

Brewshooter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a bent one. I like it. However, you do have to pay attention to the pictures of the actual pipe you are ordering. I think the quality of the red and black swirl varies dramtically from pipe to pipe. I waited until I found one that looked good.

For the record, I can appreciate the original dracula story, but cannot stand most of the modern vampire stuff.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)
    Posted 6 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

paintedklown

Login to Send PM

Brewshooter, how you like the Dracula in terms of smoking quality?

Looks are always so subjective, however, I assume that a quality pipe will smoke like a quality pipe regardless of its aesthetics.

I wouldn't want to drop $100 on a pipe that smokes like my $4 MM cob, or my $30 Grabow...if that makes sense.

Posted 6 years ago #
  15. redbeard

redbeard

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Omg!!! I love these!!! I definitely need to add one to my collection, the bent non sitter, absolutely beautiful. I would name her black beauty... All I have are beat up estates though LOL

Posted 6 years ago #
  16. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The release of this pipe series from Peterson has nothing to do with the Twilight movies. Peterson released this on the 100th anniversary of the passing of Bram Stoker who wrote Dracula and was from Dublin Ireland. When Peterson releases a line it's almost always because it has something significant to do with Ireland or someone from Ireland.

As for the pipe itself I have one and it's a pretty good smoker. Drilled very well and balanced nicely. It's run about average for a Pete as far as breaking in, but is forming a cake nicely. The nickel band has DRACULA engraved on it with a few bats around it. A solid smoker and great addition to any rotation. Definitely worth the price.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 6 years ago #
  17. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Vampires DO NOT sparkle!!!!

John
    Posted 6 years ago #
  18. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But do love the pipes! Dracula is my favorite book

Posted 6 years ago #
  19. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd like them way better -- and the color scheme looks intriguing to me -- if they weren't called Dracula pipes. It
    just seems like a pitch, and a little beneath the grand tradition of Peterson pipes. If they weren't named that, and
    I were needing a pipe, or feeling like I needed one, I'd do it. I like the 999 version, the Rhodey.

Posted 6 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

paintedklown

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the info LOTPR.

I didn't imagine that these pipes had anything to do with the twilight series. LOL!

Bram Stokers Dracula is a classic novel, and I loved the Lugosi Dracula as well as the original version of Nosferatu when I was growing up. Of course, when Coppola released his version of Dracula, I became immediately drawn to it as well.

I REALLY wish Kino would release Nosferatu on BD. IMO they have "the definitive" dvd release, and their BD release of (the complete) Metropolis is nothing short of amazing. I have no doubt they would do this fllm justice on BD as well.

Also, thanks for the quick review on the way this pipe smokes. An interesting "heritage" and uber cool styling doesn't always mean it's a good pipe to actually smoke from. Good to hear that it can live up to its legendary name. LOL!

Posted 6 years ago #
  21. brewshooter

Brewshooter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brewshooter, how you like the Dracula in terms of smoking quality?

Smokes good, I wouldn't call it great, as the draft hole is just a touch high. High enough to occasionally trap a little moisture and gurgle. However, it's not a deal breaker. For the most part, I am quite happy with the purchase.

Posted 6 years ago #
  22. carbz13

carbz13

Login to Send PM

I've been wanting the 999 one, but cant find them anywhere. I say jump on it if you find the one you like.

Posted 6 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Carbz13, just pony up the $100 or so and the Dracula 999 is a few clicks away:

http://www.tobaccopipes.com/peterson-dracula-999-fishtail-tobacco-pipe/

Posted 6 years ago #
  24. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

$100 for a "good not great" painted pipe? Not for me, thank you.

But Peterson and McQueen are both making money from these sorts of "costume pipes", so what do I know?

Posted 6 years ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

$100 for a "good not great" painted pipe? Not for me, thank you.

You're preaching to the choir LOL. But hey, we all have different preferences.

Posted 6 years ago #
  26. skapunk1

skapunk1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I own 2 NIB, havent fired one up yet......they are beautiful collectables.....

Warren
    Posted 6 years ago #
  27. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think they're also sold at Hot Topic.

Posted 6 years ago #
  28. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For 100.00 I would buy an estate Upshall or something similar which will provide a better smoking experience. I am not into the looks of a pipe as much as the smoking properties. You cannot smoke grain, and you certainly cannot smoke lacquer or paint.

Harris
    Posted 6 years ago #
  29. keith929

keith929

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought one Peterson Dracula 68 bent billiard and it delivers a cool dry smoke. It even broke in easier than my other Petes. I have found when Peterson turns out a limited edition pipe they seem to be very well made. I have another one on order now. IMHO good value for the price but to each his own.

A smart man learns from the mistakes of others.
    A wise man learns from his own.
    ---Anonymous
    Posted 6 years ago #
  30. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ran across it and while it is most certainly not a traditional pipe I really dig the design and think it is well put together. Not a pipe I would tote with me out to the bar or around town.

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

cmdrmcbragg

Not a pipe I would tote with me out to the bar or around town.

Why? I tote mine everywhere. You would not believe all the positive comments that I get. Such as, "Man that is such a cool pipe," etc...

Besides, its yours and you can be proud of it. You only need to impress yourself.

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I, too, get many positive comments on my Dracula "03" sandblast.

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

Love the briar

Login to Send PM

I do want one of these little jewel, I love the looks but as stated above some of the stems have great color contrast and some don't. I have a savinelli black set pipe that I love and it would look nice beside the Dracula series.

Posted 5 years ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Hey Love,

If you do get one. Try to get the sandblasted version. I like it better. Mine is the 606 pot. A really thick bowl that stays cool. I opened the stem with a needle file, which I do to most of my pipes. It smokes fantastically.

By the way. No hard feelings friend.

Posted 5 years ago #
  35. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Colt45, I just wouldn't take an expensive pipe out to the bar, that's the only reason why. I don't own any expensive pieces so I wouldn't take a $100 pipe out to the bar. That's all, not like I'd be ashamed of it, just protective of my property ... especially with alcohol involved.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   judcole