PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Thinking about adding a Dracula pipe to the collection.
Anyone here already pull the trigger on one?
What do you think about it?
Examples from sponsors:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=122948
http://pipesandcigars.com/pe20drpi.html
http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept?dpt=H&srch=KW&search_text=Peterson+Dracula
http://www.tobaccopipes.com/brands/Peterson-Pipe.html?page=6&sort=featured
I'm thinking of going with that 221 Fishtail on Tobaccopipes.com :)

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
That's a shame it's a limited release... but it does coax me into making up my mind a bit faster.
8)

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Now I have pipes that alot of people would consider Ugly, so to each their own. This however is to me personally in the top 10 ugliest style pipes I have ever seen. Vampires are big now though, my wifes book club have been on them for months it seems like. So probably super smart for them to do this. They are selling in my Local B&M as well.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I wouldn't compare Dracula to the current vampire surge.
The backlash would be astronomical. :twisted:
I think it'd be a great conversation piece and might even intrigue people enough to consider smoking a pipe if they know they can get crazy looking things like these. This doesn't play a major factor as to why I like the pipe; just a bonus.
I can't help but like them. :nana:

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Get it. The black and red stem are pretty cool looking.

Roth I would very much like to see your commissioned pipe when done. I like the combination of green and black with the celtic thrown in.

paintedklown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2013
Wow! IMO these are super cool. When I was in my teens (35 now), I had the usual teenage boy obsession with horror films and heavy metal music. These pips harken back to my youth and my love of (non glittering) vampires.
Being a new pipe smoker, I never thought I would actually lust after a pipe, but the billiard style has me wanting one...BADLY!
I really wish these weren't limited. I am not sure that I want to drop $100 on a pipe atm. :eek:p

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I have a bent one. I like it. However, you do have to pay attention to the pictures of the actual pipe you are ordering. I think the quality of the red and black swirl varies dramtically from pipe to pipe. I waited until I found one that looked good.
For the record, I can appreciate the original dracula story, but cannot stand most of the modern vampire stuff.

paintedklown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2013
Brewshooter, how you like the Dracula in terms of smoking quality?
Looks are always so subjective, however, I assume that a quality pipe will smoke like a quality pipe regardless of its aesthetics.
I wouldn't want to drop $100 on a pipe that smokes like my $4 MM cob, or my $30 Grabow...if that makes sense. :)

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Omg!!! I love these!!! I definitely need to add one to my collection, the bent non sitter, absolutely beautiful. I would name her black beauty... All I have are beat up estates though LOL

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The release of this pipe series from Peterson has nothing to do with the Twilight movies. Peterson released this on the 100th anniversary of the passing of Bram Stoker who wrote Dracula and was from Dublin Ireland. When Peterson releases a line it's almost always because it has something significant to do with Ireland or someone from Ireland.
As for the pipe itself I have one and it's a pretty good smoker. Drilled very well and balanced nicely. It's run about average for a Pete as far as breaking in, but is forming a cake nicely. The nickel band has DRACULA engraved on it with a few bats around it. A solid smoker and great addition to any rotation. Definitely worth the price.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd like them way better -- and the color scheme looks intriguing to me -- if they weren't called Dracula pipes. It

just seems like a pitch, and a little beneath the grand tradition of Peterson pipes. If they weren't named that, and

I were needing a pipe, or feeling like I needed one, I'd do it. I like the 999 version, the Rhodey.

paintedklown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2013
Thank you for the info LOTPR.
I didn't imagine that these pipes had anything to do with the twilight series. LOL!
Bram Stokers Dracula is a classic novel, and I loved the Lugosi Dracula as well as the original version of Nosferatu when I was growing up. Of course, when Coppola released his version of Dracula, I became immediately drawn to it as well.
I REALLY wish Kino would release Nosferatu on BD. IMO they have "the definitive" dvd release, and their BD release of (the complete) Metropolis is nothing short of amazing. I have no doubt they would do this fllm justice on BD as well. :)
Also, thanks for the quick review on the way this pipe smokes. An interesting "heritage" and uber cool styling doesn't always mean it's a good pipe to actually smoke from. Good to hear that it can live up to its legendary name. LOL!

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Brewshooter, how you like the Dracula in terms of smoking quality?
Smokes good, I wouldn't call it great, as the draft hole is just a touch high. High enough to occasionally trap a little moisture and gurgle. However, it's not a deal breaker. For the most part, I am quite happy with the purchase.

carbz13

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2013
I've been wanting the 999 one, but cant find them anywhere. I say jump on it if you find the one you like.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
$100 for a "good not great" painted pipe? Not for me, thank you.
But Peterson and McQueen are both making money from these sorts of "costume pipes", so what do I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.