PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Here are the basics:

This Box Pass is a box that has a large variety of tobaccos for you to sample. It is sponsored by the members, not Pipes Magazine. If you want to be included, you must meet the requirements below:
1. Must be a member for a minimum of 4 months
2. Post Count must be at least 100 posts
3. Have the financial resources to spend $15-20.00 on shipping the box to the next person.
4. Live in the U.S.A. We hate to do this but it's gone to Canada before and while it made it safely, there is always the possibility of Canadian Customs keeping it. We'd rather be safe than sorry.
5. Give your: name, screenname, address, email address, and phone number to baronsamedi (he will keep your phone number and not put it on the list).
6. Keep the box no longer than 2 weeks.
Do not sign up if you do not have a stable address, will be moving soon, going to school out of state, etc. You need to be an active, established member on here to show that you will be sticking around, and are trustworthy. The other two boxes that were "lost", were the result of not having the above attributes.
There will be a list which needs to be kept on top of the tobacco with all the names of the recipients on it. Please be sure to keep it circulating with the box. It will have all the information you need on who to send the box to next (excluding their phone number, which is kept by baronsamedi). Please take any samples that you want, but add your samples back in.
Try not to take a whole 4 ounce bag, the whole purpose is to have a large variety of tobaccos for everyone to try. Enjoy!
AGAIN, SEND ALL REQUESTS TO GET ON THE LIST TO: baronsamedi
I have nothing to do with the logistics of this and I will NOT forward any info to baronsamedi. You have been warned.
-Jason

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
A most excellent, simple, fresh new start to a proper Box Pass Thread....well done. :mrgreen:
It's no wonder you are in high command around here. :clap:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
The idea is equivalent exchange. If you take 4oz of baccy, add 4 oz of baccy. If you take a pipe, add a pipe. As mentioned, it is best not to take all of 1 blend, butsmaller samples of each so we keep a variety. Of course, if a bag only has enough for 1 bowl left, no one will get pissy if you cash it.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
This is a really cool idea. I might have to sign up after I move into my new house!

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
I know I have some more time to put in before I can get on the list, but had a quick question. How does this work as far as shipping? Seems like every time I ship anything I get the standard list of dumb questions, one of them being, is this tobacco. Do you just say no and ship anyway?

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
@Jason: No wonder your handle starts with "Lord" :rofl:
Grizzly: Usually the post office in the US will ask whether it contains anything liquid, flammable or perishable, to which the answer can be "No". Besides that it's been pretty easy to ship tobacco and pipe stuff around. Across borders.. different story altogether. Which makes me wonder.. I thought you had to have a US address to participate to avoid the whole customs-nazi hassle ?

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Jason, you might as well add the US address only item in there too. Yes, it can be a real pain, and a costly one at that to ship into Canada...been there done that already, so this is for USA addresses.
Everybody has been using the USPS because the box is a Flat Rate Box from the USPS....to clarify why we use that method.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
It's gone to Canada a few times. Granted, it was a smaller box (possibly one of the "lost" boxes), but still. I've never been asked if it contains tobacco, but I don't offer it up either.
The idea is equivalent exchange.

Fullmetal Alchemist anyone?
Actually, I try to put more back in, since I have a lot of blends that I can share.
-Jason

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Pipe tobacco is still 100% legal to ship with USPS inside the US.

Cigarette and other tobacco is also 100% legal to ship in small quantities between adult individuals, on an irregular basis. Businesses cant use USPS to ship a couple packs of Marlboros, but you as an individual could.
http://pe.usps.com/FRN/PACT_Act_final.pdf

At the bottom of page 1, under the listing of "Certain Individuals"

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
I look forward to hitting my 4 month mark. By then I expect to have a large enough smattering of tobacco to properly participate.
Edit: I am digging the full metal alchemist reference!

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I thought some of the folks new to the concept might like to see what the last box looked like. This is just a nifty thing.
boxa.jpg

boxb.jpg

boxd.jpg

Here were my additions -- by no means a great pass, as others have included more:

boxc.jpg

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Actually, I try to put more back in, since I have a lot of blends that I can share.
Lets hope the box doesn't get TOO big... if the postage goes over $30 are we going to tell people to stop putting in MORE than they take? lol
Crazy question... but I've seen "The Blob" and it just kept getting bigger and bigger, and the whole town suffered...

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
FWIW, in my view two weeks is too long to allow participants to keep the box. One week is more than enough -- really, 48 hours should suffice.
If you say the limit is one week, then some folks will certainly be tardy and might keep it a week. If you allow two, some will take a month.
Just my two cents.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
The two week thing was my suggestion. I figured it would allow those members who didn't have a large cellar time to get to a B&M for stuff to add to the box in exchange. It'd also make me send it on faster too, since I am a PRO-crastinator.
-Jason

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
It's too bad I'm in Canada. This is such a wonderful way to try tobaccos that you don't want to spend a tin's price to acquire. I recieved and passed on the box once but in that one box I found 3 or 4 tobaccos that have become regulars in my cellar.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
From what I understand, they can't legally send tobacco amongst themselves up there.
-Jason

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
This is one of the coolest ideas ever. I definatley will have a go at this after being a member for a few months and will include some samples to cover anything taken. I guess it's pipe tobacco trading taken to the absolute extreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.