(1019 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by lordnoble
  • Latest reply from yazamitaz
  1. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

Here are the basics:
    This Box Pass is a box that has a large variety of tobaccos for you to sample. It is sponsored by the members, not Pipes Magazine. If you want to be included, you must meet the requirements below:

1. Must be a member for a minimum of 4 months

2. Post Count must be at least 100 posts

3. Have the financial resources to spend $15-20.00 on shipping the box to the next person.

4. Live in the U.S.A. We hate to do this but it's gone to Canada before and while it made it safely, there is always the possibility of Canadian Customs keeping it. We'd rather be safe than sorry.

5. Give your: name, screenname, address, email address, and phone number to baronsamedi (he will keep your phone number and not put it on the list).

6. Keep the box no longer than 2 weeks.

Do not sign up if you do not have a stable address, will be moving soon, going to school out of state, etc. You need to be an active, established member on here to show that you will be sticking around, and are trustworthy. The other two boxes that were "lost", were the result of not having the above attributes.

There will be a list which needs to be kept on top of the tobacco with all the names of the recipients on it. Please be sure to keep it circulating with the box. It will have all the information you need on who to send the box to next (excluding their phone number, which is kept by baronsamedi). Please take any samples that you want, but add your samples back in.

Try not to take a whole 4 ounce bag, the whole purpose is to have a large variety of tobaccos for everyone to try. Enjoy!

AGAIN, SEND ALL REQUESTS TO GET ON THE LIST TO: baronsamedi

I have nothing to do with the logistics of this and I will NOT forward any info to baronsamedi. You have been warned.

-Jason

The preceding statement is not to be construed as fact, but merely conjecture.

Proud member of the BlackBlood Society
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

A most excellent, simple, fresh new start to a proper Box Pass Thread....well done.

It's no wonder you are in high command around here.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

The idea is equivalent exchange. If you take 4oz of baccy, add 4 oz of baccy. If you take a pipe, add a pipe. As mentioned, it is best not to take all of 1 blend, butsmaller samples of each so we keep a variety. Of course, if a bag only has enough for 1 bowl left, no one will get pissy if you cash it.

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. frennchy11

frennchy11

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is a really cool idea. I might have to sign up after I move into my new house!

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. grizzly86

grizzly86

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know I have some more time to put in before I can get on the list, but had a quick question. How does this work as far as shipping? Seems like every time I ship anything I get the standard list of dumb questions, one of them being, is this tobacco. Do you just say no and ship anyway?

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Jason: No wonder your handle starts with "Lord"

Grizzly: Usually the post office in the US will ask whether it contains anything liquid, flammable or perishable, to which the answer can be "No". Besides that it's been pretty easy to ship tobacco and pipe stuff around. Across borders.. different story altogether. Which makes me wonder.. I thought you had to have a US address to participate to avoid the whole customs-nazi hassle ?

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker" aka T.C.Haliburton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Jason, you might as well add the US address only item in there too. Yes, it can be a real pain, and a costly one at that to ship into Canada...been there done that already, so this is for USA addresses.

Everybody has been using the USPS because the box is a Flat Rate Box from the USPS....to clarify why we use that method.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

It's gone to Canada a few times. Granted, it was a smaller box (possibly one of the "lost" boxes), but still. I've never been asked if it contains tobacco, but I don't offer it up either.

The idea is equivalent exchange.

Fullmetal Alchemist anyone?

Actually, I try to put more back in, since I have a lot of blends that I can share.

-Jason

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipe tobacco is still 100% legal to ship with USPS inside the US.
    Cigarette and other tobacco is also 100% legal to ship in small quantities between adult individuals, on an irregular basis. Businesses cant use USPS to ship a couple packs of Marlboros, but you as an individual could.

http://pe.usps.com/FRN/PACT_Act_final.pdf
    At the bottom of page 1, under the listing of "Certain Individuals"

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. jonahtke

jonahtke

Login to Send PM

I look forward to hitting my 4 month mark. By then I expect to have a large enough smattering of tobacco to properly participate.

Edit: I am digging the full metal alchemist reference!

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought some of the folks new to the concept might like to see what the last box looked like. This is just a nifty thing.

Here were my additions -- by no means a great pass, as others have included more:

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Actually, I try to put more back in, since I have a lot of blends that I can share.

Lets hope the box doesn't get TOO big... if the postage goes over $30 are we going to tell people to stop putting in MORE than they take? lol

Crazy question... but I've seen "The Blob" and it just kept getting bigger and bigger, and the whole town suffered...

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

FWIW, in my view two weeks is too long to allow participants to keep the box. One week is more than enough -- really, 48 hours should suffice.

If you say the limit is one week, then some folks will certainly be tardy and might keep it a week. If you allow two, some will take a month.

Just my two cents.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Fullmetal Alchemist anyone?

I was wondering if anyone would catch that.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

The two week thing was my suggestion. I figured it would allow those members who didn't have a large cellar time to get to a B&M for stuff to add to the box in exchange. It'd also make me send it on faster too, since I am a PRO-crastinator.

-Jason

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. ohin3

ohin3

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's too bad I'm in Canada. This is such a wonderful way to try tobaccos that you don't want to spend a tin's price to acquire. I recieved and passed on the box once but in that one box I found 3 or 4 tobaccos that have become regulars in my cellar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

There are several people from Canada right now. You ought to start a Canadian Box Pass.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. tokerpipes

tokerpipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I saw a canada box pass forum not long ago. You may want to check that out.

If you can't pack it, light it, and smoke it then why do it. It's a dieing art that must be rekindled in all of us as fortold by our forefathers.

Words to live by for all pipe smokers.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

From what I understand, they can't legally send tobacco amongst themselves up there.

-Jason

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is one of the coolest ideas ever. I definatley will have a go at this after being a member for a few months and will include some samples to cover anything taken. I guess it's pipe tobacco trading taken to the absolute extreme.

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. martiniman

martiniman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Please keep this thread up in posting and sign me with the long list of newbies waiting to qualify.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. ozymandias

ozymandias

Login to Send PM

This is such a good Idea that my brain fell out. I eagerly await the ability to participate!

What care I if my poor means/Clad not my walls with splendid scenes/And pictures by the masters;/Here in the curling smoke-wreath glow/
    Bold hills and lovely vales below,/And brooks with nodding asters.//All that on earth is fair and fine,/This fragrant magic makes it mine,/
    And gives me sole dominion;/And if you call me fanciful,/I only take a stronger pull,/And laugh at your opinion.// - HERMANN RAVE. "PIPE AND POUCH"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. marmal4de

marmal4de

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You ought to start a Canadian Box Pass.

Schmitz and I tried about a year ago, there was little interest.

In a society that has destroyed all adventure, the only adventure left is to destroy that society.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. logandow

logandow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really want to move in to my new place so I can put my name on the list. All these pictures are making me jealous!

A man without a pipe is a man unprepared
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. rcstan

rcstan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd like to get on this when I have enough "time in service"

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

HOLY DRAGON'S SMOKE BATMAN!

I just opended the box... son of a beach. I'm not gonna get any sleep tonight going through all this. /drool

Some nice rusticated pipes by jasongone... I don't think I can resist taking one of these... Now to choose which pipe to leave behind in it's place.... so hard to choose!

A cool leather-wrapped pipe left by Lonestar. There's another pipe in here but it's wrapped in bubble wrap and I just unpacked everything so I wasn't going to unwrap it all. It would consume my house.

P.S. Thanks to whoever put it the five brothers lol Been wanting to try that. OK guys, off to rummage through the booty!

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

Excellent pass!

Those who haven't gotten the box before, please take note. Spartan did a bang-up job with the pics. We want more posts like this as the box makes its way around...

-Jason

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. rcstan

rcstan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So much to chose from, so little time! I am patiently waiting for the 4-month mark

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks to whoever put in the five brothers

You're welcome
    I put a couple pipes in the box, but none were leather wrapped. That might have been the replacement for one I stuck in there.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

Five Brothers frightens me, but it didn't stop me from taking a little bit. Just to see if I could work up the courage....

-Jason

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

I see some new stuff in there since I had it!

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. waznyf

waznyf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love the idea! Can't wait for my four months to come around!

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ya, seems as tho us poor Canadians get left out alot. I have been sending and recieving pipes and baccy for 6 months now, no prob., I do, However, understand the concern. Ahhhh, to be an American. hahahhahaha

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  34. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great photos Spartan.

What I like -- and what's evident from the pics -- is some of the best, most difficult to obtain, tobacco included: Margate, Chelsea Morning, Penzance, JNP (my contribution form last year) etc.

It gives folks a chance to try some of the new classics and decide if they want to expend the effort to pursue them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. bailey331

bailey331

Login to Send PM

What a good idea. Looking forward to my turn.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's another pipe in here but it's wrapped in bubble wrap

It's a cleaned up estate that had been sitting on my shelf for months. Just went "What the heck" and threw it in there. Someone may find better use for it. I can't even remember the make, but it wasn't anything high value. There's about 5 or 6 uncleaned as well for those that want to give restoration a try without breaking the bank.

@Baron: Sorry... shoulda come after me I guess

And for all.. yes.. the box pass is a grand institution !

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will complain about a few "Mystery Blends" added lol Not naming any names, but you know who you are.

A Mystery blend kind of defeats the whole purpose of the Box Pass does it not? If I fall in love with the mystery blend and I'm not able to acquire more of it... I'd go insane. So I left all the noname or custom blends without names alone.

Mission Statement:
    To be able to try small amounts of different tobaccos without a large investment.

I don't have much to give. But I have enough to make a worthwhile contribution.

And you bet it'll be something someone will want to try.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I need some opinions on something...

I'm trying very hard to get all the stuff back in the box... and there seems to be little to no room for any additions from myself.

Is it bad form if I take some of the tinned blends and transfer them to baggies to create more room in the box?

I'm not touching the Esoterica blends in their nice shiny thin metal tins, those are fine. But the Sutliff tins are kinda bulky.

I'm gonna go back and take all the air out of the baggies again and see if that works, But I'd appreciate some feedback.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yank 'em and put them in appropriately labeled bags.

-Jason

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yank 'em and put them in appropriately labeled bags.

Our forum lord has spoken

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Yeah. Either that or you'll have to get a bigger box! I had to repack about 3 times to get it all in there!

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just go on and get a bigger box..make it easy on those pore saps after you.

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  43. photoman13

photoman13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow I can't wait until I can join in on this!

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

Our forum lord has spoken

So let it be written. So let it be done.

-Jason

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm trying very hard to get all the stuff back in the box... and there seems to be little to no room for any additions from myself.

Just go on and get a bigger box..make it easy on those pore saps after you.

Try one like this.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Philip

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Ditch the big tins.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Gotta leave the shiny Esoterica tins, though, like you said.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

That WO Larsen navy blue tin is about the sexiest baccy tin ever made....keep it for sure.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

I have two of those Larsen tins in my cellar. I'm gonna get another with my next TAD order. I love the W.O. Larsen Signature.

-Jason

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Hey Jason, I put Black House in the box. Gotta share the love!

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

That chit is sweet! Thanks for introducing me to it. It has to be one of the best smoking, best tasting Latakia blends I've ever had.

-Jason

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

The Box Pass List is as follows. Please keep an eye out for who has the box. If you are next and committments interfere with your ability to take the box, please let me know and I will ask the current holder to skip you. It's a long list, so be patient. I arranged the recipients by region to help control shipping costs (the box weighs about 8 lbs right now). I know we allow for 2 weeks, but if you can choose what you want and get it on out, the sooner the better. There's a lot of folks waiting!

baronsamedi (Coordinator)
    mluyckx
    Spartan *holding the box at this time
    crpntr1
    Bailey331
    tanless1
    jameral
    gecko13
    Judcole
    uberam3ica
    gwynclan
    rickpal14
    romeowood (assistant coordinator)
    herbinedave
    zunismoke
    hobie1dog (assistant coordinator)
    Tokerpipes

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

Hey! Where am I on the list?! PM sent....

-Jason

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. User has not uploaded an avatar

gungnir

Login to Send PM

This is great now I wish I joined sooner
    well at least I know I can look forward to when my 4 months are up.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

There had better be some Black House left when I get the box later on this year.

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. rickpal14

rickpal14

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hobie

If it's gone when I get it I will add some for you!!!

Proud Member of the BlackBlood Society...........
    Posted 1 year ago #
  58. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Got dhizzy and lordnoble added!

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[i]got dhizzy and lordnoble added!
    Does this mean there's another list coming?

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Yeah. I'm gonna wait until tomorrow and then send you the ultra new, new newest list! Of all time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

I hate to do it, but I'm thinking at 20 people, I may have to stop adding people until it comes around again. There are guys who have already been waiting a while and 2 weeks at 20 people is the better part of a year!

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can I suggest instead of constantly sending new lists, what you think about one of those coordinator guys keep up with the list and when someone is ready to mail it, the next address and info gets emailed ... just a thought.

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 crpntr1 lol

And Baron you can e-mail me another fresh new shiny list. I'm putting the box in the mail tomorrow and haven't yet printed the new list.

Just a thought.

Posted 1 year ago #
  64. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

OK. I'll send it right now

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

The lists aren't hard for me to update. It's just a Word file. I am going to wait to mail any further ones until there is a change that affects the next recipient. I expected a mass of updates once the new thread was posted. I think there are 19 on there now. By the time I send a new one out, some may have dropped off and others added.

Like Jason mentioned you should always post when you have the box and, of course, we are pic whores on this forum, so post pix!

I received the box completely unexpected. I didn't know I was next on the list and I thought Bubba was done with us and wasn't sending it anyway. It was like Christmas Morning! I hadn't had time to get on, but I texted Hobie right away. I'm glad to see it back in business.

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I received the box completely unexpected.

+1

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

I'm glad to see it back in business.

And we're grateful you took the reins, so to speak. Thanks for keeping it going and taking care of all the logistics.

-Jason

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. tokerpipes

tokerpipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is just a suggestion.

If the list gets too long or the box gets to big it might be in the interest of doing an east/west or North/south box pass. Have 2 boxes going. Seeing as there is a butt load of new members going to be jumping on when the 4 month mark hits. Not to mention the box is getting so over packed for the flat rate... unless some one wants to put a vacume sealing machine in there?

EDIT: as a bonus it would also mean more pics to drool over and more guys or girls would get the chance to see a box sooner rather than later.

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

If it gets to where we have two boxes and that many people we will have to have a separate person to handle the other list. When the pass started out, there was two for a while but it turned into a headache and then fell off the map. I'm hoping everyone on the list will be straight with the rest of us. If so, we can literally keep this thing going for years!

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yeah. That was a pain. Especially if you saw a blend you wanted to try in the South box and you only got the North box. I think this might be OK if everyone keeps to the two week timeframe. It'll move a hell of a lot faster than it has in the past.

-Jason

Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   settersbrace, daveinlax, jdmack09, cosmicfolklore, petersonson, escioe, 2smoke, dutchronin, numbersix, tlag77, pruss, jfox520, andystewart, apatim, tbradsim1, igloo, verse, papipeguy