PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
This year was my second time making the trip to Columbus for this big show. With one show already under my belt It was just a little easier to handle the overwhelming effect of being in the same room with thousands of beautiful pipes. I had a better idea of pipes I would be on the lookout for but just as important I was looking forward to meeting a few of the notable luminaries of the pipe world who were in attendance at this year's show. It was great to meet Russ from P & C. I can't wait for his book to come out next year. That will be a true gift to fans of fine tobacco.
Finally putting a face to a voice it was very nice to meet Brian Levine at the Brigham Pipes table. I've often heard of the rock maple insert system of the Brigham pipes and Brian graciously took the time to explain and show me how it works and his experiences with the pipes. Some day I need to get a Brigham Canadian shaped pipe. It is a Canadian company after all so it only makes sense.
I've read on the forums that many here who are Dunhill aficionados like to buy their pipes as estates and save a little versus paying full price for new ones. I have to agree. While it is nice to experience that first smoke in a virgin briar it's hard to argue with the cost effectiveness of building a working collection with pre-broke in models.
1995 4111 Cumberland Lovat

I love long shanked pipes specifically Lovats and Canadians. This one has a few years on it but looks good and I'm sure it will serve me well for years to come. I didn't spring for it right away but noticing it was still on the table after I had covered the rest of the show I decided enough is enough and it came home with me. Here's a photo of the 4111 beside my very first Dunhill, a 1111.

I suppose now I'll have to start looking for a group 2 and 3 to make a little matched set.
Right now the Canadian shape is my favorite pipe style and although this one has a little damage on the rim being a group 3 size I could not pass it up:
2001 3109 Chestnut

There is a nasty chunk out of the outside of the rim but with a little work I'm confident I can restore it to its former glory.
Saving the best for the last I was excited to finally meet Ryan Alden(Lonestar)and take a look at his pipes. The other day my son and I were watching re-runs of the Hatfield and McCoy series and I finally saw that pipe Costner was smoking and everybody in the pipe world was talking about. Didn't take long to put down my money for this Devil Anse expertly created by Ryan:

The pipe is very compact. I'd call it pocket sized for sure but the chamber is big; A size 3 or maybe even 4. I cracked open a tin of Solani Silver Flake that I bought from one of the vendors and fired it up outside. The smoke was wonderful from the get go. Always a good sign when the very first smoke in a new pipe is a good one.

The lovely Road Queen accompanied me to the show which was her first and we had a great time. She even came away with some great prizes but I'll let her share those!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Very nice scores! Especially the Devil Anse, that pipe is amazing! I also love the lovats, those are nice Dunhills. Good luck on the Canadian resto, it should clean up nice!

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
It was a great show, I need to get off my rear end and show off my treasures!
As always, a pleasure to accompany such a fine pipe-smoking gentleman, thank you so much for taking me. :puffy:

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Bentmike
I can see you are a Dunhill fan, and you picked up some nice ones. I am not familiar with Lonestar but the pipes do look great.
Good luck with them.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks guys! Yes the show was a blast.
Allen do a quick search for Alden Pipes. Ryan has been around this forum for a while. There are some great pics of Alden Pipes floating around.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Bent
The bent Dublin on his gallery website is magnificent. It looks like a pleasure to hold.
Something to think about.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Awesome picks ! I'm glad to hear the new Hatfield is smoking so well for you. I like them a lot because they're so handy to carry and smoke.

It was very cool meeting you two at the show.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Likewise Ryan! I've noticed something cool about the stain you've used on my pipe. Inside or in the shade the pipe appears almost solid black. Only when in direct sunlight does the red show like in my pictures here. But yes great job I love the pipe Thank You!

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Very nice pipes. Congrats on all the loot. The Dunhill's are nice but I really like that Ryan Alden. I admired at smokers haven and at the show.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Inside or in the shade the pipe appears almost solid black. Only when in direct sunlight does the red show like in my pictures here.

Yeah, its pretty cool ! I am playing around a lot with staining lately, finding some neat stuff. You have to let me know how the pipe smokes for you once she is broke in well.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Ryan, I think that red/black finish could be a signature feature of your pipes. Nobody else has it.

Status
Not open for further replies.