PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Well I finally got some pictures of my first two pipes, a cutty and a lovatish-billiard.

There is lots of room for improvement on both pipes, but I think the second was more successful than the first. I've worked out a few of the mistakes I made on the first, so hopefully I'll be offering some for sale in the next few weeks (really want to make that Anse Hatfield Cutty!)

Both stems are handcut from Ebonite Rod.

Heres the before and after pics.

The Cutty before;

phone2024.jpg

phone2030.jpg

The Cutty now;

mypipes057.jpg

mypipes016.jpg

Billiard before;

phone2028.jpg

phone2036.jpg

Billiard now;

mypipes055.jpg

mypipes027.jpg

mypipes053.jpg

mypipes052.jpg

mypipes034.jpg

mypipes037.jpg

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Those look great Ryan! Very nice for your first pipes! It looks like you've been doing this longer than you want to admit to. BTW, I really like the billiard! Very well done!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
It looks like you've been doing this longer than you want to admit to

My problem is the exact opposite... I wish I didnt have to admit I'm a beginner at all :rofl:

Ryan, I will definitely make you something. Neither of these pipes will leave my possession because of small flaws in manufacturing that I find unacceptable. The shanks on both are too small for the large tenons I cut, making weak spots at the stem/shank junction. Also, both stems are very thin and would be prone to break or be bitten through.

I dont want to release anything less than perfect, but I think I can work out my flaws in short order.

I made a rule for myself that I wont sell anything earlier than my 5th pipe, assuming its up to my standards anyway.

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
I'm digging that cutty. Those both look amazing, I'm really impressed.
-Jim

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Just as proof that my stems are too thin, I was going to put a very slight bend in the stem of the billiard. As soon as I touched the flame to it to soften the ebonite, the airway on the bottom of the stem buckled :rofl: It is still airtight and will smoke fine. I was tempted to offer it up for sale otherwise, but that clenched keeping it. Thats when I made my rule about keeping the first 5 to smoke myself.

mypipes043.jpg

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
Nothing you haven't been told already, but those are beauties! Gorgeous grain on the billiard!

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
Ryan, Love pencil shanks, Lovat looks great as does the Cutty as well!! Keep up the good work!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Thanks Kyle and Gary!

Schmitz keep your eyes peeled, I'll be posting all my creations here. I'm going to tentatively say it will be about 3 more weeks until I'm focused on just making pipes (I'm horrible at doing anything on time!). The goal is 5 a week but I bet its some time until I reach that every week.

I have about 25 hours work in each of these.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
Lonestar you just got added to "the list". If those are your first 2 I can't wait to see what you are doing in a couple of months.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I can't wait to see what you are doing in a couple of months.
Me too !

At this point I have about $8,000 tied up in my shop and no good options for other income at the moment. So if my first pipes look good, its because I'm hungry and they damn well better be good if I want to eat next month :D

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
unbelievable these are a first try, maybe first try at pipes but i see some experienced woodwork somewhere in there...
Keep posting your work, i especially like the steps throughout the process.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Very nice. I like them both, but if I had my pick I would take the billiard. Love the pencil shank on a billiard. Gives it a sleek and elegant feel as opposed to the traditional clunky billiard. I would be interested in buying a pipe from you if you intend on selling them.

Status
Not open for further replies.