PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jangles

Lurker
Jan 6, 2019
HI all. New pipe smoker here. I quit smoking cigarettes 23 years ago but just started on pipes a week ago. I got a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe and in the last week, I have tried Captain Black White, Half & Half, Carter Hall, and two bulk tobaccos from a tobacco a store. I think one or both may have been some type of Captain Black.
Thoughts:
Half & Half and Carter Hall both reminded me of smoking cigarettes. I don't want to smoke anything that reminds me of cigarettes. I believe both are mixtures of Burley and Virginia tobaccos that would be considered non-aromatic? As I try better blends, I feel like I should save my money and not try other, even if "better" versions, of similar tobacco. If there was one quality of these tobaccos that I did like, it is that they burned cooler than the three aromatics that I tried.
The aromatics that I mentioned tasted much better than other two that I mentioned above. That being said, they aromatics bothered my tongue where the (I presume) non-aromatics did not. Not that I have much to compare with, but if continuing to smoke aromatics, These tobaccos also leave an ashy aftertaste in my mouth that lingers for a long time - even after drinking coffee with with cream. Is this a feature of all tobacco? I would like recommendations on blends that burn cooler than Captain Black and that would have a richer flavor and hopefully don't leave an ashy aftertaste in my mouth.
When at the tobacco shop, I smelled done tobaccos that smelled like leather. I didn't find this scent enticing at all. If this tobacco creates a mouth taste or a room note that smells similar, be sure that it is one that I would prefer to avoid. What leaf typically smells like leather? Maybe it would be ok as a minor player in a blend, so maybe I shouldn't blow it off completely.
I would be interested in tasting something floral - cased or uncased based on what I've mentioned so far.
Lastly, I want to get another pipe. I think that a churchwarden or semi-churchwarden would be appealing but the ones in tobacco shops have been way too expensive. I'm too new at this and don't know how long I will do this for and just don't want to make a big investment yet. I have seen some churchwardens on Amazon for 20-30 USD. Some of them have lots of good reviews but then there are a few terrible reviews that seem to outweigh the numerous good ones. I don't know if I'm getting spooked too easily. I also saw that the Missouri Meerschaum company has a line of corn cob churchwardens/semi- based on the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings universe. Personally, I think the Dwarf Cobbit pipe is cool looking and if in stock, the price is good too.
Thoughts?
Thank you,
Jangles

Jan 8, 2013
, I smelled done tobaccos that smelled like leather. I didn't find this scent enticing at all. If this tobacco creates a mouth taste or a room note that smells similar, be sure that it is one that I would prefer to avoid. What leaf typically smells like leather? Maybe it would be ok as a minor player in a blend, so maybe I shouldn't blow it off completely.
That would be latakia. In many cases, it's a love it or hate it tobacco. But no, don't blow it off completely. There are great blends out there that use it very sparingly, while there are also some that are heavy on it.
Some of them have lots of good reviews but then there are a few terrible reviews that seem to outweigh the numerous good ones. I don't know if I'm getting spooked too easily. I also saw that the Missouri Meerschaum company has a line of corn cob churchwardens/semi- based on the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings universe. Personally, I think the Dwarf Cobbit pipe is cool looking and if in stock, the price is good too.
You have to be careful these days when buying a churchwarden. There are many out there that are made out of all manner of wood types, cheaply made, just to appeal to new pipe smokers who are getting into it because of The Lord Of The Rings. If you are unsure of any pipe, post it here, and you'll get some good feedback and advice. Also, Missouri Meerschaum churchwardens should be fine.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
If I was you, I'd just buy another cob or two. Learn how to properly smoke a pipe (if you're getting "cigarette", then you're smoking to fast) and getting a Churchwarden would just compound problems.
BUT if you want a Churchwarden to connect to a movie or a book, go for it, just understand there is a tradeoff and learning curve.
Either way.... good luck.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Something floral: Peterson Hyde Park has a light floral note, which should be a good introduction.
The Lakeland tobaccos have a wide range of floral scents and intensities, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of recommendations from others in the forums.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Smoke slower, as noted cigarette notes come out at higher temps, you want it on the verge of going out. Also any Churchwarden on Amazon for twenty bucks is likely not worth it, I haven't checked though. As for suggestions, a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic and a pouch of No.79, maybe some Ennerdale, and a MM Cobbit might suit you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Be advised that Lakeland aromatics with the "floral" flavoring are generally considered to need designated pipes, since the flavor and fragrance tend to remain, "ghost" a pipe. At some point, I found a Savinelli churchwarden 601 for a very reasonable price, maybe about $65 at the time.

celticbrewer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2018
Jangles,
Welcome to pipe smoking!
It sounds like (in addition to the advice above) you are not as much as a fan of burley (common in carter and Half and half that gives a cigarette like taste). You'll probably run into aromatics running hot until you get the mechanics of pipe smoking down.
I too shied away from "leather like" smells to my tobaccos for a long time. That was a mistake because tin note is not always how itl taste and there are a lot of blends you would be missing out on. Again... its your palate so find what works for you! I would say to try an ounce of an english blend even if the tin smell is off putting. You may be be surprised that you will like how smooth and tasty the smoke can be.

jangles

Lurker
Jan 6, 2019
Thank you for the responses so far and for any yet to come. I am reading up on all recommendations. Thank you!

jangles

Lurker
Jan 6, 2019
I enjoy the nuttiness of the aromatics that I've tried. Maybe this is from the Cavendish? Perhaps I should be trying something with more Cavendish in it? I'm also not looking for any nicotine bombs. Low nicotine is probably preferred.
Thank you again.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Bengal Slices are worth a try. Some Cavendish, some Latakia.
In any event, for this smoker, there's little correspondence between tin aroma and how a blend tastes to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Random thoughts ... I tend to associate nutty flavor with burley. Cavendish often has mild flavor and little nicotine, but in a blend, gives nice volume to the smoke. Cavendish is often use as a base for aromatic flavors in flavor-forward blends like cherry, vanilla, chocolate, etc.

willyspiper

Lurker
Jan 3, 2019
Don't trash any tobacco that you find repulsive just yet. As your method of smoking and pipes change, you may just realize some of those bad tasting mixes have a totally different impression later on. Jar them up and wait a few months.
I made the mistake of tossing a few pouches back when I started that have a totally different flavor when I tried them again.
try them dry, try them wet, try mixing. I find that all but the most horrible types are now quite good.

jangles

Lurker
Jan 6, 2019
I picked up some Kendall Flake, Ennedale, and an English bulk blend they called Prince Charming. The back of the jar said Lane and it smelled sweet with a little bit of that Latakia smokiness. Can't wait to try.

jangles

Lurker
Jan 6, 2019
I had a small bowl of both Lakeland varieties that I mentioned and they are ok. I am on this Lane bulk blends and it is great, not to mention the cheapest blend I've tried. The Latakia is slight but delicious. I have a feeling this Lane HGL. It seems to burn hotter than the other two I tried tonight. I noticed done moisture in the bowl while smoking. I think I could handle more Latakia than this blend had to offer. Nevertheless, happy with this as it gives me a more clear picture of what I should be trying.

jangles

Lurker
Jan 6, 2019
Also, I have 2 cobs now. I assume I could use one for either Lakeland that I have and the other for my English blend?

jangles

Lurker
Jan 6, 2019
So can anyone recommend a blind similar to Lane HGL that has a more noticeable nuttiness and a bit more Latakia flavor?
Thanks.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Cortez:Thanks for bring up this Peterson Hyde Park to my knowledge,completly ignored by me to this day,must get a tin or two.

Jangles: If You wanna try medium strength Virginia/Dark fired blend with slight floral and fruity notes, do Yourself a favor and get a pouch of time tested British staple,St Bruno,flake or Ready Rubbed.

Yeh, in the beginning, everyone was telling me to "slow down, slow down," and I was like, "I am smoking slow." But, even though I had grown up around pipe smokers, you just don't register how slow till you are doing it yourself. It is a slower process that your brain tells you that it has to be. Think, smoking on the verge of your pipe going out. Small trickles of smoke, not big billowy clouds. That is more of a vape, cigar, cigarette thing... but I would also argue that cigars are even better when smoked very slow as well.
...and we do have members who prefer to blow big clouds, which is not historically a pipe thing. They will argue that big clouds is what they are into,.. but then they disappear from the forum, and we never get to see whether they stick with their big clouds, while complaining about tongue bit, burned out pipes, and horrid tastes from their tobaccos. So... it's safe to say that slower is always better. And, when you think you are going as slow as possible, slow down more.
Growing up around uncles and others who always had a pipe in their clench, I never remember seeing smoke. It was always just a tiny trickle of smoke at best, never a big cloud. It just looks... beginner-ish, neophyte, and sort of trendy like those damned vapes we all want to shove down those kids throats. But, if someone wants to blow big clouds, be my guest... just set on the other side of the room from me, because I don't want people to think that we are both beginners smoking our first pipe. :puffy:

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Try everything within your budget. You'll figure out what you like. If you don't like one blend or pipe, put it away for 6 months and come back to it. Often you will find that your tastes have changed or developed. There were a number of blends that I loved at first that I wouldn't touch today, and blends that I didn't appreciate that are now my go-to's. After about a year it settles down into a pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.