PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
Yeah, somebody gave me great advice about slow smoking when I first started. They said to smoke it as slow as you think is possible, and then go even slower.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
Several of the fine internet tobacconists have blend tasting sample packs, either discounting the regular tins or in smaller sample amounts like 1oz bags. I've never purchased any of them but this may be a great way for you to sample and discover your taste preferences. Also, make sure you have some 4oz and 8oz mason jars and then you can safely experiment with taste and the effects of a little age without wasting your money. Put the blends you don't like as much away and, like others have said here, you may like them later. Then when you find the blends you love you can start buying 16oz mason jars. :puffy:

jangles

Lurker
Jan 6, 2019
I'm smoking my second bowl of the Ennerdale right now. Though I don't like it as much as the Lane HGL, it's not bad. Yes, it is perfumy out of the jar but the smoke tastes like grapefruit to me, not perfume. I may not buy it again, but I certainly intend on finishing it.

jangles

Lurker
Jan 6, 2019
Upon 3rd bowl of the Lane HGL, I find that I like it less than the first bowl. I think it may be too much of an aromatic and I don't think that I like aromatics. The quality of the leaf in the Ennerdale is much better for my tastes. I think I need to try a real English/latakia blend now.

jangles

Lurker
Jan 6, 2019
I would also like to note that I did not notice an ashy taste in my mouth after smoking the Ennerdale last night but it is definitely present following my bowl of HGL this morning. Maybe this is from the PG in the aromatics?

jangles

Lurker
Jan 6, 2019
I picked up a few more tobacco's tonight; G&H Balkan, something from a jar that was called Light English (Scandanavian Group), and something from another jar called Lancer Slices.
My thoughts:
G&H Balkan: Harsh, doubt I'll touch again
Light English: it was light, but the flavors were balanced. It is probably too light for what I'm looking for. I may try again to see if my mind changes but I can see myself adding this to other blend.
Lance Slices: tastes like what I imagine good quality tobacco should taste like but not as balanced as I would like. I think I might mix this with my light English.
I think that I should get around to ordering some Bengal Slices.

jangles

Lurker
Jan 6, 2019
Well, I finally got tired of playing guess what my local tobacconist had relabeled, so I opened up an account with an online store and ordered 7 Seas Red, Gold, Black, and White. I already had some Blue, which seemed like the best quality aromatic that I have tried so far. I also ordered Lane HGL since I'm not sure if it was one of my local relabeled purchases. I also t ordered Lane RPL-6. I ordered 6 MM Huck Finn pipes, one for each new tobacco so that I know they I'm truly tasting each tobacco.
On a different note, I did find a different local tobacconist about 50 miles away who has been more helpful and let's me try bowls of whatever is on the shelf. He even have me aMM Legend and am enjoy cigar box to carry my stuff around easier. I ended up getting a pipe/tobacco case and am ounce of some cherry Cavendish (that I've already grown bored with) because he was so helpful.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I only cursorily scanned, so please forgive if someone else already mentioned this & missed it. One thing that will really help with the aros is to dry them. That & smoking slow will definitely improve things for you. Captain Black, decent blend that it is, is pure hell to dry out. Carolina Churchwarden swears blind that you could leave it open in a hot car for 6 months & it'd NEVER dry out.
I do sympathize on the Latakia. I'm one if the odd ones who actually love it .. straight. But we're few & somewhat far between. You just either adore it or can't stand it.
Bill

jangles

Lurker
Jan 6, 2019
I have let my 7 Seas Royal dry out considerably and though it seems to smoke better, it also seems to have lost much of its sweetness.
I think latakia is good as a condiment but not as the main attraction.

jangles

Lurker
Jan 6, 2019
Actually, I just read that most American Cavendish tobaccos aren't of good quality and have been smoking one in the same pipe that I have been smoking my 7 Seas in and that I may have ghosted my bowl with the Cavendish ash. My pipe tastes very ashy right now.

jangles

Lurker
Jan 6, 2019
I got my order of 7 Seas but but am still waiting on my Lane order. I have to say that I like Royal quite a bit more than the Gold, White, Black, and Red. I think it must be the chocolate notes that I'm able to pick up from the Royal. I have an ounce of Burley Kake in my shopping cart and have bookmarked Bob's Chocolate Flake so that I can keep an eye out for it to be restocked so that I might order some of that to try as well. I just read that RLP-6 is pretty much the same as Captain Black White and so I guess that means it should taste like my 7 Seas White as well? We'll see.

jangles

Lurker
Jan 6, 2019
Just so I can mark them off my list, I'm also going to be ordering SWR and SWR Aro. Any other recommendations? Think chocolate, with or without latakia (condiment level only pls), with or without cavendish (also condiment levels as well... I'm starting to think that I don't care for cavendish as a main attraction). Looking for stuff I can buy in bulk, not expensive tins). How heavy is the latakia in Bengal Slices? Is there a bulk version of this?
Thanks.

jangles

Lurker
Jan 6, 2019
My Lane RPL-6 and HGL arrived today. I also bought the last ounce of Bob's Chocolate Flake from a local tobacconist. My thoughts:
RPL-6 smelled better out of the pouch than my 7 Seas White. It also burned better, perhaps because it is a bit drier. I like the cut more on the RPL as well. The taste was just as boring as all the other American aromatics that I've tried so far, with the exception of 7 Seas Royal. 7 Seas Royal was pretty tasty. If 1q is to Royal as RPL-6 is to White, perhaps I owe it to myself to pick up some 1q and try it in a new cob.
HGL was an easy smoke and though it is supposedly RPL-6 with a condiment level of of latakia, I liked it much more that the other aromatics that I've tried so far, again with the exception of 7 Seas Royal, which I would say it is on par with. Royal = Chocolate and Nuts, HGL = Smoke and Vanilla. I would love to see Lane give 1q the same latakia treatment that they gave to RPL-6 for a result of Smoke, Chocolate, and Nuts. I think that would be fantastic.
Bob's Chocolate Flake? I tasted Lakeland essence and possibly a hint of latakia if I really tried to find it but I could not identify chocolate. The Lakeland essence in this seemed more perfumey to me than it did in the Ennerdale. In the Ennerdale, it reminded me more of grapefruit than perfume. I don't think this is bad. I certainly place it above 7S Gold, Black, White, and Red and all of the OTCs that I've tried so far as well, but it isn't what I'm looking for and won't be buying it again.
Now I wait for my Burley Kake, SWR, and SWR-A. Still open to suggestions.
Thanks,
Jangles

jangles

Lurker
Jan 6, 2019
After 3 enjoyable bowls of HGL last night, I tried another bowl of RPL-6 with my morning coffee this morning and have to say that my opinion of it has gone up considerably. The leaf cut makes it easy to cut, the vanilla is easy to discern, and the smoke has a nice body to it. Even though it seems to me that I might be drawn to notes of of chocolate more than of vanilla right now, I think the quality of this tobacco is better (or at least more enjoyable to me) than even the 7 Seas Royal. I suppose that means that at least at this very moment, RPL-6 is my second favorite tobacco, with HGL as my first.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
You might try some G&H Kendal Kentucky. That will tell you if you like Dark Fired.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
Not to my palate. That said i am a fan of the Lakelands especially the tonquin flavored and my palate is nowhere near as sensitive as many of the other members.

Status
Not open for further replies.