PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
For me tonquin imparts a soapy flavor. The Conniston Cut Plug aromatic hits iit. Most of the Conniston available is the unscented which has it but much more ffaintly. Again this is based on your palate. The Lakeland tobaccos fall into the vegetal/perfumey types and the soapy types. Grasmere was perfumey to me. The standard for tonquin bean tobacco is Sam Gawith 1792 which I have not had. I might be completely missing on the source of the flavor but my underlying point is that I prefer the soapy to the perfumey.

jangles

Lurker
Jan 6, 2019
50/50 HGL/RPL-6 is a delightful smoke. They mix together easily because they are cut the same. I think I prefer this blend more than either alone.

jangles

Lurker
Jan 6, 2019
Just got my SWR, SWR-A, and Burley Kake.
SWR: Very easy to load and smoke... but am I smoking a cigarette?!
SWR-A: Long thin ribbon cut, which I'm haven't been happy with in the past, but because this was drier that other ribbon cut aromatics that I've tried, it was easy to smoke. It tasted much better than the regular SWR but certainly not as good as Lane RPL-6. Given the cost between this and RPL-6, I'm unsure why I would purchase this one again unless I was in a pinch and cane across this in a store. I'm noticing the nicotine a bit more than from the other tobaccos that I've tried.
Burley Kake: Easy to load, harder to get started which made for a little tongue bite. I'm not really detecting a chocolate note which I read was a quality that this tobacco possessed. Still, this tobacco has a fuller flavor than most of the American aromatics that I've tried. Not a bad smoke.
-----
On a side note, I mixed all of my RPL-6 and HGL together because I really liked them mixed the other day but now I'm wishing that I had reserved some of each as the combo has become a bit mundane after multiple smokes.
-----
Unsure if I should mention this, but I picked up a 5 pack of Dutch Masters President cigars from the store the other day. Despite not being known amongst cigar smokers as a quality cigar, I still found the one I had to be rather enjoyable - certainly more enjoyable than the pipe tobacco cigars that I've tried (Backwoods and Black and Milds). My only other experience with a real cigar was from one that came from a tobacco shop that I had at a bachelor party a couple years ago. I only remember thinking that it was peppery, which wasn't very pleasing to me. Now I am interested in seeing what other, more premium (sans the black pepper taste) cigars are like. However, I won't be smoking them in the house. That odor lingers much to strongly and much longer than my pipe tobaccos do.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
A couple observations, a pipe from the Cobbit series (Missouri Meerschaum) is worthy of consideration. Another, tobaccos that don’t usually smell as they taste.

jangles

Lurker
Jan 6, 2019
There is plenty of cancer in my family and though I have read that pipe smoking has a correlation with longer life, I have already noticed an impact on my lung health, I assume from the second hand smoke that I breath when I'm smoking indoors. I would feel better not taking the chance of using tobacco on a regular basis. However, since I started using tobacco products recently, I have noticed positive changes in my attention span, work motivation, and social anxiety in a ways that prescription meds never helped me with when I tried them several years ago. I am attributing this to the nicotine. So I have decided to just chew nicotine gum. It's relatively cheap compared to other means of acquiring it. If this post breaks the rules of the forum, please delete it and my profile if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.