PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
My question for all you guys is not whether lighters or matches are better as I use both. I am curious what brand of matches you guys use? If it isn't a specific brand maybe it is a specific type? Where do you buy them?

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I haven't had to buy any yet because I bought a large matchbook collection at a garage sale. I will be buying some soon and just thought it would make a good thread.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I'll turd the diamond match suggestion. I also like paper matches but only because I like the pop noise they make when you strike them but I have never actually used them to light a pipe so my advice is shit :roll:

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Baron used a certain type of matches in his youtube video but I can't recall what they were.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Yeah that is what I thought. I have heard you aren't suppose to use the ones you have to tear off like you get at a hotel. Is that true?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
If you can find them, I reccommend Cerillos Maya cactus quill matches. They are the ones in my video. Yes the wind will still blow them out (especially if you're making a YouTube video) but they do not break, they bend! They also have plenty of phosphorus at the tip so they strike like a road flare. Simnettpratt scores them for me and if you float him a few bucks, maybe he'll hook you up, too. If I can find a reliable place to buy them, I'll post it.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Cool I just think it was cool to see something other than the ones you see in your local store. For all of you that haven't seen baron's youtube video here is a link. He talks about a recent Storient meer purchase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvx1dygttvw

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
True that Photomang the difference between wood and paper matches is like the difference between a real wood fire and a gas fireplace.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
2 Matches I use:
Iwan Ries -- If you go there you are already familiar with their matches. They strike well (most of the time) but are cheap enough that you don't mind when they don't. If you aren't aware, you can get a giant white box filled with 20?? Maybe more of their match boxes for 5 bucks! Looking at the pack now, it's probably more than 20. As a 1-5 pipes a day guy, this pack lasts me a few months!
Binny's -- Another for the Chicago area (sorry outsiders!). If you get a cigar at Binny's, one of the best liquor stores in our area, they have match boxes that are free. This is really their main up side. Be careful when lighting your pipe as there is a wax glaze on the matches, if you get too close to your pipe, you'll get some wax on the rim. But, being free, I find these around pretty often. Even if you're just going to pick up some Scotch or other liquid, you can walk over to the humidor and grab some, or just ask an employee for a few boxes.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Thanks for the info undecagon. I actually had some Iwan Ries ones but used them all. I might have to order them just because I love their store.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I am actually going to do a video reviewof the matches if I can find a place where people can order them. Other than Mexico and one small grocery store in the middle of nowhere in Texas, I got squat.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I smoke cigars as well and these are great for pipes too. i get them at my fav B&M. They are long matches.
arango_matches.png

Status
Not open for further replies.