PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
The ones I pick up from my local Dollar Store are called Jewel Strike (obviously a diamond rip off). Dirt cheap, but they seem to work. I normally light 2 at the same time, give it a few seconds to burn off the tip and light away.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Whenever I shop at the Tinderbox, they throw in a box or two of their own matches.

I've never used matches that were easier to strike.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I've never used matches to light my pipes, but I did a quick search on Amazon of "long matches" and "cigar matches". There's quite a variety available. Though, they seem pricey.
These look worthy:
51H6TlGnxZL._SS500_.jpg

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Thanks everyone for the posts. I will probably get a little of everything. Maybe one day I will make a post comparing all of them.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Captain, the Arango matches are a bit pricey about 2.50(IIRC) a box, but I don't use them all the time. As I said I usually grab a bic for the pipe. But I do like having them when I smoke my cigars.
-Jason

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
Diamond matches are great, get the big matchbox not the one that has the small boxes packaged together I made the mistake of buying the small match pack and one was completely empty. Most of the time my local tobacco shop always give me a few boxes when I stop by.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
My local tobacconist doesn't seem like he cares about his customers too much. Someone should open a B&M in Knoxville. You would have my business.

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
I prefer the small boxes of matches. I used to buy what ever the grocery store had on the shelf, "Diamond" brand or whatever. Then in an effort to save the world, the match company swithced to making

"Green" matches that were so much more "eco friendly". Problem is, the put less of the "stuff" on the match so it took 5 times as many matches to get one that would light; forget about using them outside!

So, I ordered a bunch from an online vendor that makes stuff for weddings, napkins,matches etc.

I had the boxes made in the same color as my car and with " Those satisfactions are permament" inscribed on the box.

I know, a waste of money but nobody ever accused me of being smart!

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I used to use Cricket brand pipe matches (sulphur free), which were 4 boxes of 40 for $1, but I'm too lazy to go to the tobacconist to buy some (especially since I have no desire to buy tobacco from them), so I went to a dollar store (Dollarama for the Canadians) and bought some kitchen matches: Touch brand 350 count box for $1. They're actually really nice. I haven't noticed any taste difference compared to the pipe matches.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Ive started to collect match books from B&M's that i visit. I usually ask for two matchbooks so i can use one and save the other.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Al you have a Food Lion? I thought they were long gone! I used to always shop there when I lived in VA but all the stores closed up after the "meat scare" in 1996 or so.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I usually just buy the bundle of smaller diamond strike anywhere matches (32 count). They're easier to put in the pipe pouch or a pocket and they're long enough to get a bowl going nicely.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
I use redbird strike anywhere matches. or "Touch" matches. if i'm ever inside, I'll use hemp wicks that are coated in bees wax. http://www.thebeelinestore.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.