PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I use the Diamond Kitchen matches and "penny" matches both. They seem to work really well. I also have like 10 boxes of matches that came with my orders from pipesandcigars.com and I like those too. My B&M also hooks me up with a stupid amount of little match boxes every time I make a purchase too.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Canasianpiper, Is that what you had wrapped around your lighter for that African pipe thing on youtube? I want to get some of that.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
yes it is! But it's an arabic tobacco pipe called a Medwakh.
PM me your address and I'll send you a few feet.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
This is pretty cool!
6a00d8345250f069e20112796680cd28a4-550wi.jpg

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Those Diamond Green matches are all I've been able to find so far: got the 300 count box. Would love to find some of the strike anywhere ones locally. May have to look harder…

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I have never seen the strike anywhere matches before. It would be kind of cool to give them a try. This is a great thread about something simple. I love it.

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
Swan Vestas are the best matches I've used, but I haven't seen them in years.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
I just remembered that Kevin knows the Iwan Ries Matches VERY WELL! Got a surplus of them once actually (which I think he had to give away for travel reasons). Regardless.....you should ask him about it.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I will probably be ordering some Iwan Ries Gourmet English in the next week or too. I will probably get some of their matches on the same order.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I just found a box of the Maya Cerillos that I had accidentally left outside in the snow. They got snowed on and melted on, but the darn things still lit! I credit this to the amount of phosphorus in the tips and the wax on the cactus quills that kept them from getting soggy. These would make a darn good survival match.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Pretty cool... Speaking of survival matches. I may still have some of these laying around:
NATO%20Survival%20Match.jpg

The longer head keeps them burning longer, hence less likely to blow out in windy conditions. They're also supposed to be "waterproof". But I'm sure the Cerillos are a lot less expensive :rofl:

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
How could I have missed this thread? The MAYA cerillos (which is just Spanish for matches, btw) are so cheap they're essentially free. I thought Swan Vestas were the best matches till I found the MAYAs. Swan Vestas break; MAYAs bend - you can fold them in half.
Not only that, but the box only opens from one end, so your matches don't fall out. Also, the tray has a fold over half of it, so the matches don't fall out. Also, each box has a repro of some Mexican landscape painting on the back, which makes them light better. The box has a striker on BOTH sides, thank you very much, and the quality control over the amount of phosphorous on each match is excellent.
The problem with them is, apparently I'm the only person in North America that can find the damn things - a grocery store in the middle of nowhere in Texas, but I'll give you a hint as to where: It's HEB in CLEBURNE 40 miles south of FORT WORTH on the CHARCOAL BRIQUETS aisle.
If anyone wants me to send them some, I'll be happy to. I say they're free, but I accept baccy samples, and forgot the generosity of all you guys. So far, I've been getting WAY more baccy than the matches cost; like five to ten times more. It's true I have to drive 90 miles and see my family, so I am giving more than the matches, but still.
@baron: that's cool they survived the snow. Maybe the sealed end and flap on the tray helped?

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Ah, memories - back before Colorado passed smoking ban legislation, one of the local restaurant groups used to have fishbowls full of matchbooks at the front, and we'd grab a few every time we went out for a meal. We've gone through them all and switched to Bic fireplace lighters in the meantime...
I found Diamond matches at the grocery store and picked up both a large box of kitchen matches, and a brick of the smaller matchbooks. I rather like using them.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
After reading Simnett's post ID'ing HEB as his source. I checked at my local HEB in The Woodlands just north of Houston. Sure 'nuff, they got 'em. Less than a dime a box. Anybody need any just PM me. I can take some of the load off Simnett and send you some. No contributions necessary. They are really neat matches, just as described. I'm betting that if you live in Texas and have an HEB grocery store they might have them. I think HEB is Texas only.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Damn, I lost my corner on the rack, er market. It was the right thing to do though. Glad you like 'em dlatt, good luck with the No contributions necessary. From my experience, you'll probably get deeded a small tobacco farm in Cuba or something.
PS lonestar figured out they're cactus thorns. He says he's been stuck by them so many times he lights 'em up just to watch 'em burn. I can't think how you'd harvest cactus thorns. Makes you wonder what the poor bastards who work at the MAYA factories make.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
HEB is pretty much South and Central Texas. There is an HEB Central Market in North Texas and it has a lot of good stuff, but no Maya Cerillos. I wish we'd get a regular HEB up here in Allen.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Go ahead and PM me josh. I'll send you some. No Cuban tobacco farm, no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.