MacBaren, Why Only One Perique blend?

(28 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by dhizzy
  • Latest reply from cigrmaster
  1. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does anyone ever wonder why MacBaren only has one Perique blend; HH Acadian Perique? It is one of my favorite blends and I think that they could do another blend or two. I understand that they are a producer out of Denmark and that Perique may not be readily available/very expensive but I'm curious. If Per is still around maybe he can answer? Thanks!

By the eternal! There is a man whose form should be cast in deathless bronze and the statue placed in every college in the land. It is not book-learning young men need, nor instruction about this and that, but a stiffening of the vertebrae which will cause them to be loyal to a trust, to act promptly, concentrate their energies; do the thing - "carry a message to Garcia!" Elbert Hubbard "A Message to Garcia" 1899
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would venture to say it's because the only place a perique blend would fit is in their HH line, which is relatively new. Supply may also have something to do with it.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

That, dhizzy, is a very good question indeed, now that you mentioned it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why do they only have one blend with a non-flavored Virginia? They are mostly an aromatic company. There have been jokes for eons Danish tobaccos being overly flavored and weak in nicotine. The HH line is relatively new. although Acadian Perique isn't all that new. It still has a heavy casing, IMO. It hasn't been all that long since they released ODF and Mature Virginia. But, these, IMO, are the first two real tobaccos this company has made.

I'm just glad that they haven't wasted more the blessed perique on other of their blends. Maybe one day they will make a real VaPer.

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The pipe audience has shifted from everyman tastes to hobbyists, so naturals are gaining some importance among the newer group.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

The pipe audience has shifted from everyman tastes to hobbyists, so naturals are gaining some importance among the newer group.

Hey -- I resemble that remark !

On the other hand, it gives me a group I can belong to now

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeh, even Lane put out that Anniversary 125 recently. Sutliff has that 1849. I think they're starting to see that pipe smokers grow up beyond the initial ice cream cone flavors.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I assume it's because everyone at MacBaren already smokes St. James Flake and Escudo, and realize it's a waste of time to try and surpass perfection?

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

HH Acadian Perique is one of my favorite blends. I find it enjoyably, easy to smoke and complex in the flavor department.

As for why MacBaren doesn't sell any other Perique blends, I could only venture a guess. That being said, does MacBaren not make the Savinelli Doblone d'Oro blend under contract? That blend contains some perique, among other tobaccos in a coin cut. Haven't tried this blend yet, but I've had it on the radar for a while now.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought that Savinelli tobaccos were an Orlick product, or whoever is making that and Erinmore and Escudo nowadays. I wouldn't be surprised if it were MacBarens or PS.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've heard the folks at Mac Baren just don't have a lot of experience with Perique in general. It could be because of the shortage and distance it just wasn't feasible from a business stand point. I'm not from Europe, but a guess would also be that maybe VaPers just aren't that popular in that area which is a big chunk of Mac Baren's sales.

I would like to see Mac Baren continue to broaden their portfolio. I've enjoyed the majority of their offerings I've sampled.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I though it was MacBaren because of the packaging and the recent price increase was in line with MacBaren's. Nonetheless, I am reading between the lines to come to this conclusion. I could be way off the mark.

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like Lordofthepipering's idea that they are just too ignorant, ha ha.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Keep in mind they also do not want to confuse their own brand. The HH series lets them sell natural tobaccos in a form that does not get confused with what their regular clientele desires, like 7 Seas. They're testing the waters.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Acadian Perique must have come in as one of the first of the HH lineup. I'd be curious if they would have done Acadian Perique differently after having added ODF, Bold Kentucky, and Matured Virginia? Because Acadian Perique comes across as the outlyer now, a little too much of something that makes it different. I wouldn't be surprised if either they added a true VaPer to the HH lineup, or if they replaced Acadian Perique completely with a true VaPer. I'd also be curious as to how well it sells. Has anyone ever bought more than one tin of this? Just curious.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Mac Baren uses Acadian Périque (like GL Pease in Triple Play), not St James Parish. Thus the name. I am uncertain as to regularity for supply, but suspect it would not be a problem per se.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

@Cosmic

Has anyone ever bought more than one tin of this? Just curious.
    It's one of my favorites. I have five or six 100g tins, and about a pound of the bulk stored in jars.
    I think you're right about the need for a straight ahead VaPer from this company.
    HH Acadian Perique, an olio of Burley, Cavendish, Kentucky, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, and Virginia is not exactly in the genre.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 3 years ago #
  18. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a bunch of it, too. I have suggested that MacBaren make a straight VaPer, but it hasn't happened. I did get Sutliff to create 1849, though.

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd like to see them make a roll cake with some Perique. Something like Club Blend with the DFK swapped for some perique would be great.

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cool, I didn't mean to disparage. I just hardly ever see anyone post anything about Acadian Perique. I know that The Briary has very old tins of it, because it doesn't move there at all. But, that's awesome that you two like it. And, thank Jim for the 1849. Without that one, I wouldn't have any Sutliff represented in the cellar.

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey Cosmic, why don't you tell us how you really feel?

While they do have many aromatic blends that I generally steer clear of; if I were going to smoke an aromatic, I'd get it from them. Their blends are readily available at a B&M near me and IMO are well executed. I don't know if I agree that all of their VA's are flavored. I also disagree that HH Acadian has a heavy top flavor but I could be wrong.

From the back of the tin:

This blend includes Virginia, Burley, original Cavendish, dark fired Kentucky, Oriental and of course a fair amount of Perique. The HH Acadian Perique has no top flavor at all which means that you will only enjoy the tobacco taste. When smoked you will experience no tongue bite and this blend will smoke to the bottom, leaving only dry ashes. it is a rich, flavorful and very satisfying smoke.

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Briary has aged tins??!! I gotta check that out. By the way sir, all in good fun. Your opinion is respected....except as it pertains to HH Acadian Perique!

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well taken, but I didn't say that it had a topping at all.

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My apologies, you said casing. I get them confused.

Although I gravitate to blends that are "natural" (and perhaps this one isn't 100% so) this one really does it for me. I haven't found anything quite like it.

It is my feeling that MacBaren has the knowledge and the reach to execute some other blends that contain Perique and not style them as Danish. They did well with ODF. I've yet to try Bold KY though...

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like ODF very much, but Bold Kentuky is what I had wished ODF was from the beginning. Bold KY was what made me like ODF even more, once I had one that met my desire for a strong Kentucky flavor. If that made sense. Both are blends that I keep on hand.

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I suggested that they put some Perique into that Modern Virginia. It is really awesome mixed 50/50 with C&D Bayou Morning, but I found it tasteless by itself.

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The revenue stream is aromatics. I really enjoy Mac B's HH series. I haven't found one I don't like. But the brand is sustained by aromatics. Va/Per isn't my only or main genre, but I think Lanes 125th Anniversary Va/Per is well done -- bright and light but with plenty of flavor. As a customer, I don't focus as much on the business and marketing decisions that motivate blenders, or retailers for that matter, but to them, it's business, all business.

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They obviously cannot get St James Perique at any price as they would have got some and made some vapers. The Acadian stuff is not a great replacement which is probably why they only use it in one blend.

Harris
    Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   sparrowhawk, mityahicks, charf