PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
Does anyone ever wonder why MacBaren only has one Perique blend; HH Acadian Perique? It is one of my favorite blends and I think that they could do another blend or two. I understand that they are a producer out of Denmark and that Perique may not be readily available/very expensive but I'm curious. If Per is still around maybe he can answer? Thanks!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I would venture to say it's because the only place a perique blend would fit is in their HH line, which is relatively new. Supply may also have something to do with it. :puffy:

Why do they only have one blend with a non-flavored Virginia? They are mostly an aromatic company. There have been jokes for eons Danish tobaccos being overly flavored and weak in nicotine. The HH line is relatively new. although Acadian Perique isn't all that new. It still has a heavy casing, IMO. It hasn't been all that long since they released ODF and Mature Virginia. But, these, IMO, are the first two real tobaccos this company has made.
I'm just glad that they haven't wasted more the blessed perique on other of their blends. Maybe one day they will make a real VaPer.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The pipe audience has shifted from everyman tastes to hobbyists, so naturals are gaining some importance among the newer group.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I assume it's because everyone at MacBaren already smokes St. James Flake and Escudo, and realize it's a waste of time to try and surpass perfection? :lol:

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
HH Acadian Perique is one of my favorite blends. I find it enjoyably, easy to smoke and complex in the flavor department.
As for why MacBaren doesn't sell any other Perique blends, I could only venture a guess. That being said, does MacBaren not make the Savinelli Doblone d'Oro blend under contract? That blend contains some perique, among other tobaccos in a coin cut. Haven't tried this blend yet, but I've had it on the radar for a while now.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've heard the folks at Mac Baren just don't have a lot of experience with Perique in general. It could be because of the shortage and distance it just wasn't feasible from a business stand point. I'm not from Europe, but a guess would also be that maybe VaPers just aren't that popular in that area which is a big chunk of Mac Baren's sales.
I would like to see Mac Baren continue to broaden their portfolio. I've enjoyed the majority of their offerings I've sampled.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I though it was MacBaren because of the packaging and the recent price increase was in line with MacBaren's. Nonetheless, I am reading between the lines to come to this conclusion. I could be way off the mark.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Keep in mind they also do not want to confuse their own brand. The HH series lets them sell natural tobaccos in a form that does not get confused with what their regular clientele desires, like 7 Seas. They're testing the waters.

Acadian Perique must have come in as one of the first of the HH lineup. I'd be curious if they would have done Acadian Perique differently after having added ODF, Bold Kentucky, and Matured Virginia? Because Acadian Perique comes across as the outlyer now, a little too much of something that makes it different. I wouldn't be surprised if either they added a true VaPer to the HH lineup, or if they replaced Acadian Perique completely with a true VaPer. I'd also be curious as to how well it sells. Has anyone ever bought more than one tin of this? Just curious.

Reactions: ChuckMijo

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
@Cosmic

Has anyone ever bought more than one tin of this? Just curious.
It's one of my favorites. I have five or six 100g tins, and about a pound of the bulk stored in jars.

I think you're right about the need for a straight ahead VaPer from this company.

HH Acadian Perique, an olio of Burley, Cavendish, Kentucky, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, and Virginia is not exactly in the genre.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have a bunch of it, too. I have suggested that MacBaren make a straight VaPer, but it hasn't happened. I did get Sutliff to create 1849, though.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I'd like to see them make a roll cake with some Perique. Something like Club Blend with the DFK swapped for some perique would be great.

Cool, I didn't mean to disparage. I just hardly ever see anyone post anything about Acadian Perique. I know that The Briary has very old tins of it, because it doesn't move there at all. But, that's awesome that you two like it. And, thank Jim for the 1849. Without that one, I wouldn't have any Sutliff represented in the cellar.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Hey Cosmic, why don't you tell us how you really feel? 8O
While they do have many aromatic blends that I generally steer clear of; if I were going to smoke an aromatic, I'd get it from them. Their blends are readily available at a B&M near me and IMO are well executed. I don't know if I agree that all of their VA's are flavored. I also disagree that HH Acadian has a heavy top flavor but I could be wrong.
From the back of the tin:
This blend includes Virginia, Burley, original Cavendish, dark fired Kentucky, Oriental and of course a fair amount of Perique. The HH Acadian Perique has no top flavor at all which means that you will only enjoy the tobacco taste. When smoked you will experience no tongue bite and this blend will smoke to the bottom, leaving only dry ashes. it is a rich, flavorful and very satisfying smoke.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
The Briary has aged tins??!! I gotta check that out. By the way sir, all in good fun. Your opinion is respected....except as it pertains to HH Acadian Perique! :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.