PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Came across this churchwarden yesterday as I was paying for still another Peterson church, this one a Dublin. Then, after I snapped up this other pipe, I discovered it was made in the Ukraine out of pear wood. I knew lots of pipes where made in the Ukraine, but didn't know anything about this pear wood. I did some research on the forum and found a lot of contradictory info. So what's the story? Is this handsome pipe going to fall to pieces on me, or can it stand to be used?

Reactions: Friendly Piper

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Whoops, forgot photo...

ukraine-600x582.jpg

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I had several Brog pear-wood pipes when I first started smoking. They were great little smokers. I gave most of them away to friends as I acquired nicer pipes, but as far as smoking quality went, they were excellent.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Yes Pear wood is an acceptable material for smoking pipes. Lots of pipe makers have used Pear wood to make pipes, but most notably would be Mr. Brog. I've heard people say they're good smoking pipes. You should be able to enjoy your pipe without issue. Happy smoking.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
As usual, gents, thank you for your input: I'm a bit relieved. Member, I had found the same article thread you sighted and is the one I spoke of. My guess is, ultimately, the Ukraine is able to make and sell pear wood pipes, so they must be functional, although not the equal of a briar. I'll report back on this thread when I get the pipe.

Btw, wouldn't you agree that this is one of the lovelier pipes you've seen?

janosh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2015
Hungary
Looks nice; but I was born and raised in Ukraine and I would never ever buy an Ukrainian product. Don't get me wrong it's just my opinion.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pipemonk posted a photo of one he'd bought recently and I was particularly struck by the light weight on that one, and the beautiful grain. I'm attached to briar, but I hear only good things about pear. My one non-briar "wood" pipe is Mountain Laurel, which makes a fine pipe. I have three or four of those.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
There's a company that makes pipes in Poland, B&B and they make pipes using Briar and Pear mostly. I bought a poker for $40 (hand made) and found it was made in pear wood later. Turned out to be a great pipe. I sold it to a buddy, whom he gave to his little (In a pseudo-frat/club/group here at Mississippi College) as a part of post-initiation celebrations. That man still smokes his. I notice that even when finished, pear wood, if natural in color, darkens quite nicely over time. The pipe went from being a golden, light yellow to a orange-brown gold, about 5-6 shades darker over the course of about 3-4 months and not alot of miles put on it.
Suffice to say, it will serve you fine. I personally wasn't a fan of another buddy of mine's Ukrainian churchwarden, but he loves it and still smokes it today. To each his own, I suppose.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
Well, that is a nice looking pipe non the less.
A local guy carved my BIL a pipe out of apple wood, it is a great little pipe. He really gets the use

out of it, he loves it.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've got a Missouri Meerschaum Maple Wood and a Ropp Cherry Wood, the only non briar wooden pipes I smoke.

I've yet to acquire a pear wood, but maybe some day if the stars align. I'm not really in the market.

I am intrigued by materials other than briar, like morta, meerschaum, and various woods.

One kind of wood in particular has caught my attention and looks really interesting is Lemon Wood.

Tommaso Spanu is known to make a pipe he calls a Limone...out of lemon wood. Said to be scent free, porous, heat resistant and lightweight.

sp143b.jpg

Here's North West Pipe Smoker with a Russian Ukranian made Pear wood.

NW

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I forgot about Strawberry wood! Also, Hickory, Beech and Olive wood. Now I find something I read about, Manzanita, and something I JUST NOW first read about, Chicken Wing Wood.

Here's a Strawberry wood by Becker

P1000951.JPG

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Not mine, sure wish it were. I was searching out Becker Strawberry and found this in another pipe forum.

I think I've seen it or other of Becker's strawberries here...fishbanjo probably has a 7 day set.

Here it is Brad...pipe makers forum

Status
Not open for further replies.