Tags:  No tags yet. 
[closed]

I'm So Happy

(33 posts)
  1. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm so happy I live in America. The average wait time for the police to show in many places is between 10 and 20 minutes. They cannot be there in time to protect me from an assailant.

Had just one person in France last year been armed, they might have stopped all the bloody massacre during that festival celebration. People who break into homes, assault schools and the like, do so because they know or believe there is no gun waiting for them on the other side of the door.

Guns don't kill people, stupid and dangerous people do, and if you pass a law to disarm all the citizens, none of the criminals will turn theirs in! All you do is create a populace of victims ripe for the picking.

Firearms save far more lives than most people know by deterrent and defense, though 99% of these situations never go reported in the media.

Americans have guns, lots of guns and they know how to use them. But then, some countries like Sweden and some cities and counties in the USA, Israel, etc., require you to own a gun. Require you. In Russia, they teach schoolkids how to field strip and assemble an AK-47 in no time flat. Zip! Bang! Boom.

Chance favors the prepared. No one is looking to hurt someone but better to have it and never need it than to need it and not have it. All it takes is one time.

And if you can get the federal stamp, all things are possible. You see criminals break into homes and torture and kill old people, go on a rampage in schools, movie theaters, malls, but you never see them break into a police station.

Things are bad in the big cities but I ask you to pick and choose who you will assault? Here is a video welcoming you to America, and keep in mind, most everyone here is carrying a gun, they came from far and wide, they do this all of the time, no one went crazy, not a single person was assaulted or robbed, and not a single person ever got hurt. Please turn the volume up. You want to invade the United States? Please make our day. Over and out.

Have A Nice Night

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In before the lock.

And might I also add, perhaps the official pipesmagazine.com logo should change to this:

image upload no ads

". . . I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul."
    - INVICTUS
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Feelings

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No lock.. I hope. Not trying to instigate anything here, no arguments, just trying to let people see who might not be from here the real stark contrast of Hometown America in contrast to places like Europe. I just don't recommend you go down to Kentucky, etc., to some of these people and tell them they are nuts or crazy. You might get schooled.

Real serious business to these boys.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

toob: You just knew I'd chime in. Sorry, most American people are not under arms. I'm very thankful for that after some of what was posted on that recently closed thread.

I am in before the lock however! These threads never end well but, they can be most interesting for a bit. So, everyone gather around the old campfire and, ala Blazing Saddles, let off a bit of gas before the inevitable lock.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome in warren. Like I said, just wanted to make a point I didn't get the chance to make last night, not looking for arguments, angst, friction or hurt feelings. I would have been just as happy if no one posted anything and if it is going to get crazy again, I'd ask the mods to just close this thread too.

Having control over one's life is not crazy. Responsible gun owners are some of the most responsible people you'd ever want to meet and I'm sure there were a lot of LEO in the video crowd shooting some of those guns. Bottom line, about a third to half the people in this country own guns and a lot of them are armed to the teeth. Me personally, I am not promoting violence, guns are discipline, and if I am ever met with a deadly situation, I will make the determination to use whatever force is necessary, no more, no less. But I resented the insinuation by some that many people would blow away a kid needlessly given the slightest excuse. It just don't work that way.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Most folks shouldn't be allowed to drive a car, much less wield a firearm.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cortez, I've never met a responsible, able gun owner who was a bad driver.

I've never met an inept, clumsy, hapless person who wanted to learn firearms.

No laws says you have to drive. No law says you have to learn firearms safety and usage.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. conlejm

conlejm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I strongly support the right to bear arms, but let's be realistic:

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

toob: This thread allows me to post a thought I had before the closing of the other thread. For that I thank you as I think this is a most important observation.

I will tell you this and it's based a lot of experience, study and analyses. No one really knows if they are capable of taking a life. That wee hesitation is why cops and civilians get killed. The perp has most likely made up his mind before he set out to do his deeds. The homeowner will have to reach that determination as the situation unfolds. The difference in mindset is critical to the outcome.

You may think you are capable. You may be fully convinced but, until the time comes you really won't know!

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

While I am enjoying toobfreak's point, I think this is the balancing factor: quality of people varies. Pick the good people, and keep the rest at bay. I have known a lot of poor people, and the majority of them are not criminal. Some choose criminality, even when they have enough. That brings it down, to me, to personal quality. There are good people and bad people, and some area in between, although not as wide or as profound as people think.

As far as guns go, I wish I could afford more of them. It's hard to decide between pipes, pens and guns.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. didache

didache

Login to Send PM

Allow a new guy to comment. This has nothing to do with me bring a Brit - but it does have everything to do with coming to a friendly community of fellow pipe smokers to talk about that which unites us.

Frankly, I can well do without this kind of thread. There is a reason the other was closed.

Having said my piece, I am out of it.

"Pipe-smokers spend so much time cleaning, filling and fooling with their pipes, they don't have time to get into mischief." - Bill Vaughan
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It might be good for people to learn to disagree politely, on the internet in general, and not to expect everyone to agree. The more we suppress the beast within, the more it roars.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

image upload no size limit

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fun fact: the name "Yoda" came from a cross between Y.O.L.O, "toad" and Buddha.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I strongly support the right to bear arms, but let's be realistic:

I kinda doubt that if you are taken in by this garbage statistic slanted to make the USA deliberately look a zillion percent out of proportion.

Try these charts if you can read the fine print:
    USA among the highest in gun ownership. Among the lowest in intentional homicides.

The places of highest gun crimes and murder rates are the places of strictest gun laws.

Nothing crazy about owning guns. What is crazy is how so much of the rest of the world populace has been conditioned to think being disarmed is normal and actually makes them safer.

Conclusion: take away a few of the major cities like Detroit, Chicago and NYC all run by anti-gunners and uber-strict gun laws and you'd cut gun crime statistics to a small fraction.

Conclusion: It isn't the guns or even the gun owners who cause what gun crime we have but the social disorder caused by the big city anti-gun lobbies and the wack job kids that they produce.

Safest place to live in America is out of the city and in regions where private ownership is encouraged and unfettered.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nope.

Name created by filmmaker George Lukas for the "Star Wars" film series. It is speculated that that name may be from the Sanskrit word "Yoddha" which means warrior or the Hebrew name "Yodea" meaning "One who knows."

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Safest place to live in America is out of the city

Also less car exhaust that way.

But on a side note, why is humanity so incompetent? It seems like across the globe, there are few stable/nice places to live.

Something worth pondering, perhaps...

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here, I'll try to get us back on topic.

image url

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

image hosting over 10mb

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh crap, he has a gun!!!!!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am proud of the Discourse in the other thread, went a long time before it was shut down and many good opinions and it was civil , thank you all for the many observations.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 2 years ago #
  24. conlejm

conlejm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I kinda doubt that if you are taken in by this garbage statistic slanted to make the USA deliberately look a zillion percent out of proportion.

No, really, I strongly support the right to bear arms. Conceal carry and everything. Regardless of what the the various charts say. No need to doubt.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But on a side note, why is humanity so incompetent? It seems like across the globe, there are few stable/nice places to live.

The answer is really simple, Death, because all the places are run by politicians and big governments. Really. The whole point of the US Constitution is to keep (our) government in check as the most anti-government document ever made. All our problems come back to 545 people.

If left to the populations themselves, most of them would create nice places to live. The whole point really of gun ownership is a check on government because government, even the best of them are all about force.

It makes me shrug as you see people from UK, Canada, etc., all run from a simple topic like this, they are not allowed to even speak freely. Years ago, Australia was talked into giving up their guns as were the Brits, and since then, crime has gone through the roof. It is a free range of easy pickings when you are a criminal and you know that all about you are helpless, defenseless and afraid.

Regardless of what the the various charts say.

Great to hear. Study my charts closely and ask yourself how is it they contradict so much with that other then look at the sources of where they came!

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Actually, you may safely draw those conclusions but, all the maps also support other conclusions. One being that it is safer to live Lincoln than New York City, Amarillo is safer than Houston, Bakersfield than Los Angeles. Or, that it is safer to live in a predominantly Republican area than in an area controlled by Democrats. Most importantly, the lower the population density the safer you will be. All sorts of conclusions can be supported from the data posted. It all depends on what you want to conclude.

My only conclusion, after reviewing the presented maps, is that the fewer people there are, the lower the chance of dying from a gunshot, gun ownership aside. There are a lot of gun owners in New York City (He observed facetiously)...

Most strange and, worthy of note, is the map published by The Huffington Post. Who'd a thunk it! No editorial slant. I suppose that would have been in the accompanying article. Should be an interesting, even humorous, read.

By the way, what's the over/under on the lock? I put my money on under unless the number is unrealistically high.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lets keep politics and polarization out of the topic please. No one is forcing anyone to read much less agree with my thread much less buy guns if they don't want to. But the next time you are the victim of a crime, who will you call, a police officer loaded to the teeth, or Diane Feinstein?

More important, would you rather be a subject of your country or one of its /citizens?!/

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

40 years ago? Possibly Feinstein. She was a looker and I was a cop. Politics a side, I'm not looking for stimulating conversation. I will admit that the department now has it's share of great looking policettes. So, maybe yes, I just might dial up the department.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Closing thought (whatever your view on guns, liberty and personal defense):

Before a man talks peace, he better be prepared to back it up with war!

and

True men of peace are men of great courage.

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. conlejm

conlejm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The funny thing is, 700 years ago they wouldn't have even been talking about guns on the Internet, because guns weren't even invented yet! I'm sure the Internet was replete with crossbow discussions back then.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A great percentage of violent crime involving guns in the USA is due to prohibition. We never seem to learn this lesson though. If you want to drastically reduce violent crime, end drug prohibition. If you want to drastically increase it, outlaw firearms.

Regarding the word "allowed" would I be correct to assume this means you want the government to prohibit it?

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 2 years ago #
  32. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And.... we're off!

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

It's kinda embarrassing, but I've been known to drink a bit...and the harder I fight to keep it between the lines, the more I tend to swerve toward the ditch...and the following night, I may be on a slightly different road, but am still likely to end up in the ditch if I'm doing the same thing...Owned guns since I was big enough to pull a trigger, but discussions on gun rights are always going to be political...shutting it down....

Posted 2 years ago #

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pylorns, mikethompson, mso489, alaskanpiper, elpfeife, dcon, litup, brooklynpiper, cigrmaster